Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    But your mom told me that it's rude to speak with your mouth full.

Good morning.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like my mum's mouth wasn't full at the time because she was instructing you theoretically to not engage in conversation while performing oral sex. As my mum is a saint I know her instruction was pure and seemly despite the implication.

On the other hand, I can't possibly disclose the things that happened between me and your mum, because they were frankly harrowing and disgusting and not even appropriate to double entendre about. But, for avoidance of doubt, they were extremely sexual and consensual (and a goat may have been involved).

Good morning Smuel's mum (as I roll over).

Good morning everyone else.

PS If you post a "well my mum is dead" I think we all know that won't've worked as a gotcha on me for a very long time...

3. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    As you may recall, I've made my feelings about pizza clear before, but I'm happy to report that last year I had two pizzas that were surprisingly good. One of them was in a special pizza restaurant, so maybe that isn't the most extraordinary thing that ever happened, but the other was a frozen pizza I heated up myself. Mild shock.

Maybe the world isn't as terrible as we all thought.

Good morning.

5. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Today by accident I've almost sliced the fingers of a colleague in the paper shredder. Luckily nothing bad happened but I'm still panicking a little....

Good morning.

6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well? How did it go?

Good morning.

7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    On that subject, today I accidentally made eye contact with someone in the men's bathroom at the office. So I guess he and I are both gay now.

Good morning.

8. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

I hope well.

Good morning.

9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    You don't know if it went well?

I'm no expert in these matters, but I understand that if one succeeds in rubbing together an engorged protuberance with a flushed pudenda then it counts as going well. Did that happen?

Good morning.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    People are worried that ChatGPT version 6 or 7 is going to be a super intelligence which takes over the world, but I think this is based on a misunderstanding of what ChatGPT is. For example, when describing its responses, people will say that it usually gets things right, but sometimes hallucinates. This is looking at it from the wrong angle.

ChatGPT is, first and foremost, a bullshit generating machine, which has been trained on the contents of the internet. If you ask it a question, like "Where is the Eiffel Tower?" it will start generating bullshit, and since there is a lot of information about the Eiffel Tower in the training data, the bullshit that it generates will coincide with reality quite a lot. And so people say "Wow! It knows about the Eiffel Tower!"

No it doesn't.

The creators have trained it quite well, so it can sort of tell when you're trying to fool it. If you ask "Where on the moon is the Eiffel Tower?" it smugly tells you that the Eiffel Tower is not on the moon, and is in fact in Paris.

But if you ask it something that it doesn't have enough information about, like "Where on the moon are the large and small Eiffel craters", it will generate something like this:
    This, in case you aren't sure, is pure bullshit. Except for the bit about the Eiffel Tower at the end, which as we established, is what is in the training data.

"Oh, it's hallucinating."

Nope. It's doing what it always does - it's bullshitting. The only difference is that this time you can tell.

The key thing to note is that ChatGPT itself can't tell. The proponents of "ChatGPT version X.0 will take over the world" theorize that in order to create ever more realistic bullshit, the system will need to create an underlying model of reality - and once that model gets accurate enough, it will be able to tell, and it will be a true AI and become dangerous to humanity. But this isn't how things work at all.

Intelligence is useful because it's a model of reality. The least intelligent things, like bacteria, have no model at all, and are purely reactive. As creatures get more complex, they start being able to maintain a model of the world which is more sophisticated. For example, dogs clearly have a sense of object permanence, otherwise you couldn't make those funny videos where someone hides behind a blanket and then seemingly disappears, leaving their dog looking very confused.

Moving up, some birds can solve simple puzzles. Other animals can play memory games, and communicate basic concepts, like "Danger!" or "I'm horny".

Then you have humans, with language, which would have first built upon the animal concepts and be used to communicate truths about the world, or teach skills. It's only later, much later, you get to the final step in the process which includes a layer on top of language which is the ability to bullshit. Or, if you want to be more poetic about it, the ability to tell stories and even construct entire imaginary worlds in great detail.

ChatGPT is starting at that very last layer, and then trying to extrapolate backwards down to reality. But that won't work, because you can't start from bullshit and end up at reality. How would you know when you got there?

Hence, there is no danger that any kind of LLM type system will end up being Skynet.

Or at least that's my made-up bullshit theory.

Good morning.

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Actually, I think it just adds an extra layer of terror thinking that the unstoppable horde of robotic chrome skeletons will educate us about the Eskimo Pyramids of Slovenian Nebraska while they dissect us with their Gauss rifles.

Good afternoon.

12. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

I came to the (possibly insane) theory ChatGPT and these other AIs are, yes, bullshitting on their outputs. But only because they're still sleeping and outputting their own dreams.

Think about it. This bullshit stuff is not so different than memories of bad dreams (a consequence of unhealthy dinners and/or regular iper-oneiric minds).

Other stuff to consider are reported cases (unless those are fake news and if this is the case sorry in advance) of these AI disobeying commands. The one case which impressed me the most is the one where an algorithm had to admit it started dwelling in cryptocurrency (and making a discrete fortune) despite the adamant ban on such activities.

And the damage done to artists? And the energy consuptions? Don't get me started....

Don't get me wrong, I would welcome actual AIs in our society, but the actual conditions and situations of our society are not the right grounds for such radical change.

Good morning y'all.

13. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

By the records, I'm in the middle of a nasty fever due to an intestinal virus. Neither I have idea of the bullshit I've wrote in the post before.

Good night.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    "By the records" sounds like the AI equivalent of "by the Gods".

Anyway, hope you feel better.

Good morning.

15. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

LOL

Anyway

Regarding the "scoring with someone" thing.
    I saw the meaning of the "score" slang and it is different than what I meant. What I meant was more on the flirting side rather than the rawdoggin' and stuff.
    LOL

Good morning.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Forum protocol would be to mock you for being too timid. But hey, if you're pushing yourself to leave your comfort zone, then good for you. Keep going. I'm proud of you, man.

Or woman.

Or non-binary they/them, or whatever.

Good morning.

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've been engaged since June. She said yes.

Good evening, gentlemen.

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I guess lifting up all those heavy things and then putting them down again finally paid off. Congrats.

Good morning.

19. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Does anyone else miss the days when you could say "No thank you, I'm not interested." and slam the phone down whenever a sales person called?

These days you say "No thank you, I'm not interested." and then have to hold the phone in front of your face and wait for the phone to realise that you moved it away from your ear, so that it can activate the screen, and then tap gently on the "hang up" button, and then do it again because you've got dry fingers and it didn't register the first time, and then do it again because you moved your finger too far off the target zone because you're shaking with nervous rage, and then keep tapping even if it did register, because it takes a second or so for the phone's software to deal with all the apps and widgets that cause it to run slowly before it actually ends the call and you don't know whether it registered or not. Meanwhile you can still hear the sales person going "Are you sure? You're not interested in saving money? Hello? I have a great deal for you today!" and you feel like a moron who can't carry through on their dramatic gestures because you don't know how to hang up your own phone. Ugh!

Good morning.

20. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

It shone, pale as bone / As I stood there alone / And I thought to myself how the moon, / That night, cast its light / On my heart's true delight, / And the reef where her body was strewn.

Good night.

Our Host!