Arcanum:WIP 3-0 Now Available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Apr 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

#3 Tells me there's a video driver problem. At least that's the usual cause.
    I'm still in the dark about the rest.

If you're wondering about your disks, get a magnifying glass and check the back side of both. If you do see a scratch, many video and music stores will buff them for a reasonable fee.

You can do this yourself, but I prefer to let the pros do it.

2. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Yep, plenty of scratches.

I don't think I even want to go to all the effort, I'll just stop playing for a bit.

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Okay I agree....the amnesia woudln't work considering you could play any background...well spotted...

Willoughsby obviously has to be deeply involved...I mean he's almost like the X-Files Cancer Man in that regard.

Now what if we put a spin on my idea and make the scientifc head honchos the part of some secret brotherhood....you know...real cloak and dagger tyoe stuff...and instead of the person behind it all ending up being the PC, you could have it so that it ends up being a surviving member of the Vendigroth race....perhaps seeking to create and army of brutes to get revenge on Arronax and Nasrudin and their magical ways.

It could be storylined in such a way that this surviving Vendigrothian is responsible for "providing" the dwarves with technology as well as some "key figures " in arcanum...i.e the Brotherhood members.

Now this Vendigrothian would be a new character or could be someone else already in teh game, who's been hiding this secret all along.

Hell, it could even be Willioughsby himself if you like.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

"Surviving Vendigrothian" - How to survive 2,000 years without magick.....

Perhaps he or she was a test subject for cryogenics? :/
    That is really weak.

This much has begun evolving in A:WIP as Dwarrowdelf was founded during Vendigroth's heyday and supplied much of it's minerals.....

..... Bingo! Not a Vendigrothian, but someone - a clanless Dwarf perhaps - who braved Dwarrowdelf long after it was abandoned and found the Vendrigothian tech and manuals that had been left behind.

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The surviving Vendigrothian could have been a willing test subject or a victim of going into a specially engineered chamber that somehow used large vacuum tubes and various diameters of copper pipes to speed your body to the speed of light for any amount of time and the term of that action would determine when you popped out of the tube at a later date, and maybe you were in something that someone had wanted shipped from there in Arcanum, like H.T. Parnell. That could mean an interesting encounter with Parnell when you get to Tarant, and perhaps you'd meet the person who went to Vendigroth to get the chamber. That would be an excellent idea. If Liam was able to build that gate, then I'm sure the Vendigrothians would have something that crazy actually working during their prime.

6. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You mean the gate to the Void? He didn't. He found it in the forest. What he did manage, though, was to destroy it. Or, rather, the means to destroy it (so very typical of us humans...).

About the Vendigroth survivor; he could be a cyborg. That way, he could (and would) have been able to survive the two millenia up til "today" in the game. One could also use the model of the final boss from Vormantown.

EDIT
    OR, I just remembered, he could have been blessed by Velorien. Imagine that: a crazed religious fanatic of a long-extinct race trying to get revenge on the elves by corrupting the world into breeding super-soldiers in the shape of Half.Ogres... Damn. Almost sounds a little too fantastic. I think I'll stick to my Tyron idea after all.
    /EDIT

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Or even a Vendigrothian version of The Time Traveller:

http://www.xofacto.com/a/time.jpg

http://meshboxbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=410

I don't like the look of this machine. Of course, after seeing George Pal's version for so many years, I am kind of spoiled.

The story:

A test run of his machine was going great until Arronax used his powers against Vendigroth. Caught in the magickal malestrom, Mr. Wells was thrown forward in time a couple thousand years, half-way across the continent, and the time circuits were heavily damaged.

Deciding not to attract public attention to himself, he settled in and began the process of creating a new Vendigroth in Tarant as his revenge on the elves in particular and magic users in general.

Unable to interest the reigning king of Tarant in advanced technology because the world at large was content with magick, he turned to the gnomes and ultimately created the Industrial Council.

Even with all his manipulations and Bate's release of the steam engine, modern-day technology isn't quite advanced enough to repair his machine and so this now-elderly man continues to wait and work behind the scenes.

Opinions?

8. Darkform

Darkform New Member

he could have some advanced tech that prolongs his life and about Bates he could have sensed what Bates would have done and been the one to tell Bates where the Black Mountain Mines was so he would do what he did.

as a side note why is there not a steam engine in Black Mountain Mines? Bates says there was one there. it could be what still powers the lights in Black Mountain Mines maybe located in the room with the only Dwarf thats left in the mine added so you can scroll over it and a description says "a VERY old Steam Engine looks like it's been here for over *** years".

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The Vendigrothian humans would be a long-lived people to begin with - so if a human Mr. Wells was used, it would just fit into the description I gave earlier. Bates found Stennar in 1823 and the game start date is 1885. Sixty two years +. That's cutting it close.

The steam engine is a good catch, but as for adding one, let me think on it.

I'm not too far away from introducing the fire gems, which once properly processed, gives a steady red glow that lasts for many hundreds of years. Thus explaining the red Dwarven lighting.

I haven't worked out all the details yet.

10. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I like it RROYO!

It sounds relaly interesting and you could storyline hook over 1000 different things into it.

How would this tie into the Half-Ogre arcthough?

And on a different note...haven't you ever been tempted do make a town that is entire populated by peaceful automatons who actually talk to you and stufff...?

11. Wolfsbane

I don't think they should talk; simply work. Have you ever played Syberia?

12. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Nope...but I can see your point about them not talking...I just think it would be wacky to have a completely technological city run completely by automatons...and arachnids I suppose....but there would have to be some centralized intellingence running the place...like a Master Computer or something.

And instead of rabbits and chickeks...you have clockwork decoys hoping around to liven the place up.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Quote myself: Unable to interest the reigning king of Tarant in advanced technology because the world at large was content with magick, he turned to the gnomes and ultimately created the Industrial Council. unquote

Needing security, the Industrial Council was the ones who ultimately began the half-ogre program. It wouldn't take much to add Mr. Wells to this part of the story.

Peaceful ones? No - can't say as I have. It does make quite an image though - especially with the decoys as chickens! :p

14. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Seriously dude...think about it...like Asimov's barve new world....or something like that...a fully functional, self sufficient, fully automated technological society...the technologists utopia...

...and if you really wanted to go down the "literary road" you could always storyline something where a society grew tired of violence and conflict and transported their essensces into teh automatons so they could live on forever in harmony or something wishy-washy like that!

15. Wolfsbane

The quest that brings you there should be from an evil mage who wants you to destroy it all.

What a dilemma :)

16. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

17. Wolfsbane

18. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

A suggestion of this idea was the inspiration for Mr. Vorman's "utopia" of Vormantown - and look how that turned out.

Also:

['50's robot voice]

*click* *whirrr* * click* Gree_tings__hu_man. Wel_come to Fero_ste_opo_lis. How_may_I_be_of_assis_tance? *whirr* *click*

[/'50's robot voice]

Would you want to write 10 pages of this dialog? (shudder)

20. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Good point...the Dialog would be a pain in the ass.....but then lets scrap the dialog...

You could have only the "central computer" talk...which in itself could turn out to be a a halfling behind a metal panel...or a long lost "vendigrothian nerd"!

Our Host!