Arcanum:WIP 3-0 Now Available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Apr 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Oracle

Oracle Member

IMHO there still should be a way for an thief character to avoid such deadly encounters. Its great to have more of a challenge but I must say that it should not make playing with some character impossible.

On a side note I saw that you pretty much liked car-arcanum. Do you plan to put some continent from car-arcanum into A:WIP? I personally did not try car-arcanum mainly because it edited to much in the balance that I did not like to much. However I read that it had diffrent locations that I'm interrested in.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Wasteland: You'd be looking for 00123m and 00124m. Remember to deal with both the dlg and scr parts of them and clean out the Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/maps folder.

As for the sign: I'm pretty sure you'd have to wait for the next encounter. If there's no summoning, you're in business. What I'm unsure of (10%) is if your ongoing game will recognise this change. It should. (Fingers crossed) I'm currently not set up to test this, so - good luck!

You won't see much change to Cattan in this upcoming release and the work on the island may take me a couple years to finish. Setting up two cities and a necropolis with all the side-quests and such will take a while.

Also - Since adding Vormantown took considerably less time than I expected, the rest of this period will be spent on bug, dialog, inventory, and scenery fixes. Once all the easy stuff is done, I'll be adding some of the more complex items from the bug-fix, then extensively testing it. (Not everything works with my hack.)

I'm sort of targeting the end of May for this next release*, then I'm going to take the rest of this year off to follow a couple other pursuits. Learn how to use Poser 6 to make new artwork and - maybe! - make a small add-on for the stock game that incorporates all five Troika modules.

*Or however long it takes for the Drog's Bug-Fix craze to die down. It might be late June.

Oracle: Other than using the names Vaselan and Althea, and about a third of Chris' artwork, not really. A:WIP is not going to be a revision and most of what Chris did for his mod isn't what I'm wanting to do.

Now I'll be the first to admit, well over a third of what I know about art swapping and critter modification came from studying his work, but my mod will be considerably more "pedestrian" than his. I'm trying to mimic Arcanum's overall style for my additions rather than Duke Nukem or Doom.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Alright, so I've a question for you... is WIP a new module, or does it over-write the main game?

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It over-writes the main game.

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

There is. Try entering the prowling mode before travelling on the world map. I got past a certain apperation many times (and killed it as well) using that technique.

6. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

The prowling before entering the world map has peaked my interest. Will this work at expert level or do you have to be at master level for it to work?

To rroyo: It worked, I deleted the files you specified, loaded up my save and the Hand is back to stock. Thank-you very much.

I made a back-up so I can switch out the Arc5.dat for each play style.

Edit: Well now that that was successfull, yeah my first successful attempt at modding. :D , I wish to alter the Hand files to eliminate the summoning only. Having them level with me is nice on its own.

To do this I assume I unpack the dat and extract the files into a folder. What will I need to view/alter the script files once extracted?

Edit: Ok, I used scrmaker to open the script. I have no idea what i am looking at, except that it looks like dos stuff from when I was in grade 10, A long time ago that was. What lines do I get rid of or change to stop the summoning? 00123m seems to be the healing script. 00124m I think is the one to change. It reads:

0. Do nothing

1. random number 8264 to 8275: store in local 7

2. random number 27346 to 27358: store in local 4

3. random number 27366 to 27340: store in local 6

4. stat 17 of player: store in local 3

5. local 1=local 3/5

6. local 1=local 1-1

7. create object with basic prototype local 6 near trigger

8. if 0<= local 1 then goto line 6

9. float line 1 above attachee

10. if 25 <=local 3 then goto line 13

11. clear local flag 2

12. return and run default

13. do nothing

14. local 2 = local 3-20

15. local 9= local 2/3

16. local 9= local 9-1

17. create object with basic prototype local 4 near attachee

18. create item with basic prototype local 7 inside attachee

19. if 0 <= local 9 then goto line 16

20. return and run default.

I am guessing that the "create object" lines are the summoning triggers.
    Would changing these to "do nothing" stop the summoning?

If not please point me in the right direction please.

Well I am going to try it to see what happens. After saving the changed files how to I repack them back into the Arcanum5.dat? I have extracted the entire contents of the DAT into a seperate folder. The folder I am working in has the DAT file and the folder it was unpacked into. Is there a way to select everything or does it have to be done one file at a time? Would it have easier just to extract the files I wish to change?

7. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I know this is a double post, but it has nothing to do with the last one.

Bug report: When talking to Iron Heart, expert in disarm traps in Wheel Clan, I was able to ask him for expert training, he charged me the money and said I was now trained as an expert, funny thing is I have no points what-so-ever into disarm traps let alone apprentice training.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'm sorry, I got side-tracked and forgot about the Hand scripting.

This morning I tried what you mentioned as well as just deleting everything but the float line and run default.

In both cases, the Hand leader remained standing after being killed.

I've got to go to work now, but I'll tackle this again when I get home.

9. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

That's ironic, I am doing all of this at work and don't do anything at home.
    Although, having a family and stuff leaves little time for game play.

Just an idea: Instead of trying to remove the summoning from the modded Hand scripts, would it maybe be easier just to add the leveling scheme to the stock Hand scripts.

Who made the Hand hack to begin with? Maybe he could be of assistance in this.
    If you do manage to get this working could you possibly post what the script should look like, then I will make my changes on my end accordingly. Thus eliminating having to upload the files anywhere.

Another bug found. The halfling in Lynchbany that tells you about the mage in the tree and Bigwwods Lodge has no dialog with unchanged DAT.

Edit again: I have noticed that by removing the modded Hand files from the ARC5.dat I also messed up the shopkeeper hack somehow. They are back to stock also. Weird. I have scrapped changing the hand for now, and resume it when it can be changed with out issues. My thief is in Caladon as we speak so it's off to get master prowling and problem solved.

I also noticed the Arcanum Atlas in the library does not work either with the unchanged DAT.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ok - I've got a problem of my own going here.
    Something I've added over the past few days is messing with the Malochean Hand - big time. I just disabled the scripting and now the bastards won't die!

You know what I'll be doing this weekend..... :/

Edit: Those bugs you're finding shouldn't be happening in an unmodified DAT...
    I'm off to install a packed copy of this for study.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ok wasteland, after removing the unpacked DATs from my build and installing an entirely new and packed version, I've made an even 20 tries with five different characters and I can't get a single one your problems to come up.

Looks like you have a bad install. Sorry.

12. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Still can't play it... :/

Maybe my disk is scratched or something... I don't know, it still works without your mod.

13. Darkform

Darkform New Member

at lvl 10 I had first encounter with The Hand and I barely got out with Virgil alive in party was me Virgil and Sogg I used save editer every lvl to double my CPs but still.

WHY is The Hand so tough ? if I was soloing I would be DEAD.

I also think the summoning part of The hand was overkill, The Hand was tough enough just with the potions they kept using on themselves.

edit: well lvl 12 was more believable Hand it was as follows
    lvl 7 or lvl 10: 3 Hand witch summoned 2 Kite Shaman
    lvl 12: 2 Hand that summoned 3 Kite Bowmen

that was way much for lvl 7-10 I don't know exact lvl I was.

hand also has way to much good loot. I'm playing as a techie and keep my followers full, so I'm forced to leave most of The Hands loot behind. after I gain some lvls and learn mor tech I can make stuff with the junk I'm having followers tote around and will have more space but at lvl 7-12 I just don't have room unless I don't worry about being encumbered myself.

oh nice job by the way it's just The Hand hack part I'm having trouble believing they are more powerful than quests and with much better loot than quests at the lvls I've played so far.

LOL long post can I get a hint on how I start to go to Vermintown ?

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

frosted ambassador: I'm no closer to understanding what's going on now than I was before.
    Stock game, fresh install, you've done everything but replace your computer...
    I just don't know.

Darkform:

It's a combination of the Malochean Hand hack, better weapons, and potions to make them last longer in battle.
    Personally, I like the challenge, but there were times......

As soon as I figure out what's my current problem with the Hand, I'll take another look at the summoning. It sounds as though a couple numbers could use switched around.

Go across the Shrouded Hills bridge and hang a left.
    If you hit the mountains, you've gone too far.

Seriously though, I've rigged a map-marker on the bridge. As soon as you leave Shrouded Hills and bring up the world map, you'll see a listing for Ivory Lake.

15. Darkform

Darkform New Member

thanks I went a little left and a little right and saw no trail ether map trail or what original makers did in a few places a trail of Herbology stuff 1 in view and when you reach it 1 more just in view for a 8-15 Perception.

by the way I picked up Jayna Styles went to Tarant and she didn't leave group. should I tell her to leave? I didn't want to keep her I was just being nice.

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Oooookayyyy..... I misunderstood you.
    Vormantown will be included in the upcoming release..... At the moment you can't get there from here.

Jayna? She'll keep following you as long as you let her - or you piss her off enough.
    If you don't want her, tell her to hit the road.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Swyft? She's supposed to leave when you get to Tarant.

17. Darkform

Darkform New Member

the Prima's Official Strategy Guide under Jayna Styles says

she's more than happy to go with you to Tarant. She'll accept a few detours, but Tarant is her intended destination.

The Hand is not really bad lvl 12+ but at lvl 16 Virgil has 1/2 a inventory of Morgana's Tears Sogg has enough Restore Lifes to bring back everyone at least 2 times everyone in party has 2 Charged Rings + I have extra and I got 2 free Poison Arachnid. can The Hand even activate the thing or did I just luck out?

but under lvl 12 The hand is overpowered.
    lvl 12+ The hand just has to good of loot.

I think if you have Virgil and everyone survives first Hand attack with that loot your geared to take on the hand.

The Hand shouldn't have Charged Rings or Arachnids, them haveing those cheapens the techie. this is first time I played with Hand hack in a game I always felt good when I was able to search down the stuff to make Charged rings and Arachnids but with The Hand just giving them away. .......... it just doesn't fell right. if The Hand stays the same I would suggest none take any Mechanical tech (hand gave me auto skeleton keys also) past Eye Gear and to max Repair skill.

lost all the Morgana's Tears because Virgil can't understand I'm high tech and they don't work on me.

after just a few run ins with the hand I quit stealing except for quests because the hands loot gives me more than enough gold. is there a gold max? will it mess up game save? maybe you could give them worse gear and double their Hit Points, make it a longer fight as is they ether kill you in 1-3 rounds turn based or you kill them in 2-3 rounds not counting Summons.

oh by the way I edited this post ALLOT adding stuff I'm on disability and can be on PC all day so I edited instead of posting ALLOT of posts witch I think would have got me yelled at.

I restarted and The Hand waited till I was lvl 13 to meet me and that worked out ok + it was only 1 guy so I didn't get to much loot.

I think Master Pick Pocket Quest is broken I spent 3 days in game doing what he wanted and I didn't get Pervert tag and couldn't get Mastery. tho I hear the Mastery might not be worth the Pervert tag.

18. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

rroyo my friend...it's beena while and I am so glad you finally got your ideas out and the work you've done is simply superb!

And that's going solely on what I've read...I'm gonna have to do install Arcanum on a my laptop and play your mod as the news of what you've done has re-ignited the old flames :)

One question I do have for you is that while you are fleshing out a lot of the unused the geography in the Vanilla Version, do you plan on furthering and of the Vanilla storylines out a bit more...not necessarily the Half-Ogre business, but perhaps a few things like:

- Liam Cameron's college professor, to whom you could give news of his untimely demise...

- Following up on the stories on some of the other crash victims....perhaps creating their homes around the land.

things like that....

It's hard to come up with ideas considering you've done so many good things already at this point.

In any case...props to you my friend!

19. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Please please please please please create an acceptable ending to that quest. It's simply not fair how it ends in the original game.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Hot damn! It's becoming old home week around here!
    Welcome back, FourHorsemen!

Yeah, once I learned how to unpack and modify the main game, things just kind of kept snowballing. I've still got a ways to go before it's finished; even after scaling my dreams back; but it's starting to shape up nicely.

As for playing this - Please do! I'd love to hear your impressions of A:WIP.

The fleshing-out part: I have been creating a backstory about why the Iron Clan was abandoned, and made a reference in Brandybuck about Tollo Underhill as part of the merging of my additions to the original game.
    For the ones you mentioned, I hadn't considered those. *makes notes* I'll take a look at those ideas from time to time and see if I can work them in.

BTW: Remember that discussion about crossbows? The Russians made one! As soon as - if ever - it becomes free to use, I'm going to add it.

Wolfsbane: As soon as I know my scripting skill is up to it, I'm going to try to add three more endings to the Half-Ogre quest - More if I can. Like a few other things I've got planned, this needs to be done right - not half-assed.

Our Host!