When would you live?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Feb 22, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I saw a topic of, "Where would you live," and thought what about a whole new time period? Forget where you live NOW, just choose a time period and why you would live in it. Personally, I think the middle ages, particularly during the crusades, would've been a great time to be alive. Apart from all the diseases and crap. I would love to have been a Knight Templar. Or maybe just a tradesman, like a blacksmith.

2. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

3. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

much as i love history, i wouldn't want to live in a time without videogames.

4. Grossenschwamm

5. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

If I can carry all my knowledge and my computer (and a damn long trans-time cord) with me, then any age would suit me fine.

If not, I would want to be a blacksmith!

6. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Have you played Broken Sword by any chance?

I sometimes think how it would be living in the time of knights and such mumbo-jumbo, and think how cool it would be, but to part with modern technology, no thanks.

7. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

In fact I hate those fooled age, people was killed like worthless plants.
    En, in fact I wish that I had been born 10 years earlier. Thus I would have been able to see how great the golden box was.

8. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Either 4-5 BCE when Jesus was born. I'd get to see the mate and at the same time see the Roman Empire.

Or maybe the time of when the first few pilgrims came to America. I'd like to see what NYC looked like before the colonists WTFPWNZED it with axes and shit.

9. Grossenschwamm

To be honest, I don't think I've heard of broken Sword before you mentioned it. I have to agree with you, fox. Living during the time of great forests across America, or any country, really, would have to be something. But, I'd still rather be a blacksmith. Or maybe have lived in Feudal Japan, during the time single-edged swords were perfected. The original Tachi is a sight to behold, if you've ever seen one. The thing looks like a giant meat cleaver.

10. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

Do you know anything about katana and ninja-to?
    Have ever heard of the 'Seven Katanas' of the Japanese history? If you are interested in this. I can tell you, later.

11. Grossenschwamm

At one point im my life, I was enthralled with Japanese swordsmithing. I even wanted to be a swordsmith in the Japanese style. I think it would kick major ass if you could tell me all you know about Japanese swords.

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'd love to live in the 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms' era of Chinese history. Chances are I'd line up mercenary work for one of the major powers, although I'd probably wind up working in Wei. More territory, better forces, better resources...

Plus I'd LOVE to know how it REALLY went down.

13. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

14. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Almost everyone in the world thinks wars are great, ( I wish I was in the WW2, I wish I had a gun, and such crap).

Why don't you people understand that wars mean evil, innocent people dying, kultures being destroyed, vast amouts of money being spent on war machines and weapons. Nobody takes for real what people say: In war there are no winners.

When I was a little boy my country was in a war for its freedom.
    So many people died, many of them crippled for life. But most of all so many sons and husbands lost. I can tell you, war is not so great.

Anyways, have you leanred nothing from fallout?

15. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Sorry, didn't want to say all of that, I'm just in a crappy mood today. :-(

16. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

I want to live in Europe in the period of Barbarian Kingdoms. First, there I would have been a god (you know, modern school education...) and second, I would have told them about EU.
    But more than in DA, I wanna to live in Russia in 1910-1916 (to write futuristic poems and to prevent Revolution) and, maybe, in Ancient Rus in 700-800 or 1590-1650.

17. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

War is the catalyst that propelled America to greatness. Necessity is the mother of invention, and there is no time of greater necessity than war time. War has been responsible for innovation in transportation, aviation, medical science, logistics, computer science, and nuclear power, just to name a few. The winners in war are the generations that come after those who won the war.

18. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I would like to live a few years before the New york stockmarcket crash. Then i would get a huge amount of money in stocks and sell it all the day before the crash. MUHAHHAHAAHAHHAHHAaaaa....

19. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

No time in the past would be a good time to live.
    Oh the middle ages are totally neat! Dude I can see a knight! Time to go back into the fields and work for 18 hours a day. Oh what's this? I'm dying of a minor ailment which due to the lack of medicine is fatal.
    We still have the past, it's called the third world.

You say that like it is a good thing.

This should make you think how idiotic the human race is, not how useful war is. The world is full of necessity but the people with the power to invent are not the ones in need. War only helps this process when the groups doing the fighting are the ones with the power to invent.
    Crappy poor country A fighting poor country B is not going to advance science. It's only going to make the countries poorer as they buy hardware from more advanced nations.

Your argument mostly applies to old fashioned grand scale wars. Invading Iraq is not going to advance science (other than field trials of weapons which could be done outside of war). There will probably never be another head to head between 2 or more advanced nations. India 'fighting' Pakistan isn't advancing science. All they are doing is playing nuclear catch-up with the big boys.

Advancing medicine: Yes but only because there were lots and lots of dying people to experiment on. The kind of experiments you would not get away with at any other time.
    Advancing computer science: Perhaps in the past when people were building computers but not anymore. All you need is a supercomputer to sit there running its programming.

You can say that about the World Wars but I don't think it will apply to the kind of war we see now.

In summary: The past sucks. War is terrible. Let's all live in the future, preferably in some kind of biodome with polished chrome servants who for some unfathomable reason have poorly synthesised voices.

20. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Do you understand what you just said?
    What generations???

If a ( God forbid) world war happens, you do understand it is going to be a nuclear war, and and bombs will fall everywhere.

Then I ask you, what generations you are talking about?

The mutants that will be born because of the radiation?

Agreed.

Our Host!