When would you live?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Feb 22, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

I'd want to visit the Library of Alexandria before it was burnt the first time.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That's a great point. To have witnessed all of that knowledge written down in such a large space....that must've made scholars at the time cry.
    Aside from that, what's wrong with dying working in the fields, Tongsyabass? You make it sound like a bad thing that people didn't live long enough to overcrowd the planet. And, you know what? I have diabetes, and I'm sure most of you know what that disease is. If I was to live in the past, I may have never gotten diabetes; reason one is I would've probably died of something else before I ever got diabetes, and reason two is I would've been in better physical shape from working in the fields, so my body might not have gone crazy and cause my white blood cells to kill my pancreas.

3. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, the Middle Ages or Roman Empire or whatever might be nice for a vist, but I wouldn't stay. I needs my Internet and videogames, dammit.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Probably but the christians had a good laugh.

That is one of the most flawed arguments I've heard in a while. We should all die young so we don't overcrowd the planet?
    How about we breed less? We have the technology. Just ignore the pope and everything will be fine.

So you're saying you would rather have died of the plague because you don't like having diabetes? Continue that logic: If you were born during the plague you would be saying "Oh I wish I could have lived during the stone age then a mammoth would have killed me long before I had the chance to catch the plague".

Working in the fields is not equivalent to membership at a gym. That type of hard graft destroys your joints. But that wasn't a problem for these people because they died of malnutrition and disease at age 30 before their joints could fall apart.

5. Grossenschwamm

I never said working in the fields was going to make a person ripped. I was merely stating that they had less body fat than someone who did not work (i.e. a noble). Your plague argument is flawed, you're assuming people during that time knew the earth was more than 10,000 years old. Also, do you know anyone who likes having diabetes? I've had it since I was 10, and I'm 19 now. It's not exactly something one learns to like. Sure, I tolerate it, but by no means do I like it. Also, people who lived alongside of mammoths had a good chance of getting the plague as well. They had just as good of a chance of being immune to it, but you're acting like noone died of diseases during the ice age.
    The average life expectancy during the middle ages (and the ice age) was around 35 years or younger, and fewer people were on the planet. Did you ever think that maybe we're cheating death because of technology?

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

All your arguments are retarded. The question is "When would you want to live?" Are you going to tell me what I want or don't want? One man may be perfectly happy slaving away on a farm and dying at the age of 30. There are other things to strive for in life than health, wealth, and entertainment. I'd rather live 30 hard years with a good wife and good friends at my side than live a hundred years healthy, rich, and lonely.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Whoa-kay boys, easy there... Don't make me put you both in Time Out!

You're both entitled to your opinions, and Grossenschwaum has an exceptionally good point regarding diabetes. Before about thirty or fourty years ago, diabetes simply didn't exist. Mankind as a race was actually a lot healthier than they are now. You know why? Because our immune systems were busy from childhood, with the end result that we didn't actually get sick as often as we do now. Back in the Middle Ages, you normally died of four things: The Plague, your body basically giving up the ghost after years of back-breaking work, execution or, if a noble, old age.

Having said which, I still wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Now, back on topic - give me a time machine (Heeere, TARDIS-TARDIS-TARDIS) and a decent recurve bow with a pull of about 20-25', and I could make quite the living for myself as a mercenary archer or messenger.

8. Grossenschwamm

If I offended anyone with my post, I'm sorry. Sometimes I can get....stupid. Even though I'll probably never meet any of you in real life, the last thing I ever want to do is piss people off. I respect your opinions, and as much as I defend my point of view, I understand how important your respective beliefs are. Jungle Japes has a great point, and if I had thought of the topic in the way he said it, it might've been easier explaining my side. Or easier to understand someone else's side. I still think the great library of Alexandria would've been a great place to visit.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Only problem with the Great Library is that you'd lose half your life to it. There'd be so much to read!

10. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

The irony is, if you were transported back there, you'd soon realise that you can't read any of the texts.

I can't really respond to that without clarification. Unless the correct response is "your arguments r teh suXX0r!".

Ok but I don't really see where this argument comes from. Unless you are suggesting the future is somehow inherently more lonely than the past?

That was kind of my point. People did die of disease. More diseases. My point is however bad you think your medical problems are now, they would only have been worse in the past (until they were cured by an early death).

Xiao, diabetes did exist in the past. It has always existed. Just because people died before it could be diagnosed did not mean it did not exist. It's the same as cancer "not existing" in the stone age.
    However you are right that certain aspects of modern life make some ailments. like diabetes, more common.
    2 main reasons: Humans escaping natural selection (weak survive to breed and pass on faulty genes to their offspring).
    Access to better diet which becomes a worse diet because some idiots can't stop putting cakes in their face.

I'd go with the future everytime. I have no faith in humanity but I do have faith in the progress of technology (which drags us along with it). Anyway, you guys would have to go to the future to get a time machine so you could travel to the past.

11. floyd

floyd New Member

When would I live?

I live in Belgium. :)

12. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Well... To be honest, I like it here and now. I'd probably like to travel in time, though, and I'd definitely like to witness many events that took place during the Middles Ages, even a day in the life of a peasant. Oh, yes, I want to go medieval on someone, but I like the way things are right now.

13. Jungle Japes

Of course, you would not be allowed to go medieval on anyone because you are a woman.

14. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Glad you noticed ;)

Still, I'd like to go medieval on someone. Just to say I can.

15. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Yeah? Still wanna to be a woman-slave-for-something-that-can-bring-children-if-someone-is-uncareful in a house of bastard noble-knight somewhere between Germany and France in a small principality?

16. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Well, since I don't speak German or French, I guess that would be the fate that would await me.

That is, until I go on a killing spree.

Then I'd ask to see the King (doesn't matter which, just bring me the gorgeous guy in power) and I'd be his courtesan for one day. I wouldn't probably die from some venereal disease because I'd take condoms.

17. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Y'know, kings weren't always gorgeous. Many were old farts... with a temper, too.

18. Jungle Japes

19. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Oh, I'm sure that many of them would have looked good without those wigs and make up.

20. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Are you sure, Bunny? When king Merovingian or Goggencolern will see this... er... thing, he would say you're heretic!
    You know what happened with so-called heretics. Well, and about languages, you have to come to the Spanish court immediately after spanish would have defeated moors. :)

Our Host!