WorldEd crashed and my mod is gone!!

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Adissius, Nov 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Adissius

Adissius New Member

I have developed a mod and had significant work done on it and of course you all know how much work it takes. I save all the time and I thought I was being careful. I started the mod with the editor that came with the game but of course recently updated the worlded via the new patch. The old worlded and the new both have crashed before requiring me to restart my system. It happened but wasn't a problem since I saved my work so often. I'd just restart and go on. But this time when I restarted and opened WorldEd a message came up that asked me if wanted to recover the last worlded session. I had already saved all my changes before the editor crashed so I just said no to recover the last session. OPPS!! Wrong answer! Now my mod is no longer listed in the mod list during start up. My .dat file has been renamed and my mod's folders are all gone!! I thought to simply rename the .dat file but that didn't work it just loads an empty module. If anyone has a solution to my problem I'd most appreciate the help. I spent a good 50 hours or so on that mod and it was almost ready for you guys to download and play test. I would welcome any help or advice. Thanx.

2. Adissius

Adissius New Member

Recovered my mod!! Whew!!

Okay...I did it again....answered my own post but if this helps anyone then mission accomplished.
    After losing my mod I had found that a file named with my mods name followed by a 10 digit number. Had replaced my mod's .dat file. I had initially tried to rename this file with the .dat extention and reopened WorldEd but it opened an empty mod with none of my maps or script or dialog. I then extracted the old version of Worlded from the setup files on the installtion disk and tried to open it but that still gave me an empty module.

I was able to recover my mod by using undat and extracting the .dat file that had gotten renamed. I reinserted those files into a folder with my mod's name in the modules directory and restarted WorldEd and bada-bing I was back in business. The recovered mod was only short the changes made just before WorldEd crashed.

Be looking for my test mod real soon. My finished version will probably be done by the end of this year. Before I release a completed version I will be calling for some playtesters.

P.S. Back up your .dat files!!

3. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Can you tell anything about your mod eg:story, characters or such.

Our Host!