Arcanum NPC Ages

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, May 21, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'm writing a MASSIVE fanfiction for Arcanum (I'm starting to nickname it the Fic From Hell, it's taking me sooooo long) and I was wondering how old people thought the various NPCs are.

Here's my personal list (I stop counting for Void-dwelling characters at the point they enter the Void, and yes, each and EVERY one of the following characters makes an appearance at least once, plus some others whose age I just don't give a rat's about! There's a REASON I call it the Fic From Hell!):

Arronax: Somewhere between 90 and 100 (Elves are notoriously long-lived, and Nasrudin and Arronax both say that he was really too young to be on the Council, so...)
    Dante: 42 (He reminds me of my dad at that age. 'Nuff said.)
    Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe: 23, 26 at the oldest. (He basically says that he's just 'graduated', and god knows he acts like some stuck-up rich brats I knew at Uni...)
    Jayna Stiles: 19 or 20 (She's quite young, far's I can tell.)
    Magnus: 49 (Now Magnus was HARD to work out. This is a compromise age I arrived at after arguing with myself for a MONTH.)
    Perriman Smythe: 24 (He's slightly more mature than Geoffrey, but they seem to have something of a conflicted history, apparently they were in the same class or something. Lots of things for me to mess with there. >:D )
    Raven: 237 (This one was almost as hard as Magnus, but then I sat down and puzzled it out for a while. This is the number that seemed right to me.)
    Sebastian: 27 (Another tricky one! Completely arbitrary, based on his portrait.)
    Virgil: 29 (Based on a combination of his portrait, his voice and his backstory.)
    Z'an Al'urin: 186 (Completely arbitrary again. NO idea really.)

Feel free to debate my conclusions and reasoning - that's how good writing becomes better writing... or something... Plus I'm just curious.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Hmmm... The lot looks good, except for the elves. I get the idea that ten yers for an elf is about one year for us, so Zan should perhaps be around 210-230 years old. And Arronax has been in the Void for two thousand years (he was banished there in the age of legends), but he should still look like being about 200-300 years old, I think.
    The rest is good. I hope to read your fanfic soon ^^

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Really? I thought the elves lived about to be about 500 years old on average, m'self, hence my assessment. Opinions?

(And yeah, I promise that as soon as I get these first few chapters set and written I'll post 'em here.)

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Isn't Magnus somewhere between 100 and 150?

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

No idea, Frigo. If it says how old he is in the game or something, then I'm officially a twit. (Hrm, take one letter from that and you get what my next door neighbours acts like...)

6. Wolfsbane

Dwarves live about 500-600 years. Elves live for a thousand. I know it's true, at least about the elves, 'cause it's the right answer when you're asked about it in a tavern.

7. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Isn't the silver lady 10 000 years old? Or something like that?

8. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Since Nasrudin says that the Silver Lady was just a girl when he met her in the Age of Legends, and Nasrudin is old and on the verge of dying (+2,000 years), the Silver Lady must be around that age, which would be something like 20,000 human years. The elf who wants to travel from Qintarra to Tarant is considered to be quite young for a journey like that, and she's 160 years, so she must be 16 human years old.

Magnus is said to be 150 years old (Ch.S) and the dwarf at the Caladon cemetery refers to him as a child. Meanwhile, I think Loghaire is said to have died at the age of 800, and it sounds as if 800 was too much for a dwarf, so I think Wolfsie is correct.

I guess it would take you too long if you were to take a look at the Character Sheets, wouldn't it?

9. Wolfsbane

And to strengthen my theory, Nasrudin was kept alive by his regenerative shell all those years, and the Silver Lady is part alive and part in the spirit world, and therefore she is, too, kept alive by her strong magic.

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Based on her sense of reality, no. Drugs.

11. Wolfsbane

Ok, I'll have to give in to this one. Drugs it is, and not magic.

12. Bunny

Bunny New Member

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Jayna's supposed to be in her forties (she's a half-elf), Raven's around 260, Silver Lady's around 1,500 to 2,000, Nasrudin should be somewhere around 3,000+. Magnus is about 150...yeah, I checked all the character info screens. It's better than guestimating.
    Magnus is about 30 in human years; dwarves live about five times longer than humans, so Loghaire living to about 800 is like a human living to 160 (definitely a long life). Elves should live about ten times longer than humans, so both the Silver Lady and Nasrudin are much older than they should have been able to get (thanks to their magick). Swyft is actually 150, and she does act like a little adolescent bitch. I say that because regardless of whether or not I've brought her to Tarant, she still yells at me and tells me she hates me about six times when she leaves my party.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ahhhh, that helps.

Actually, I can't GET to the character sheet stuff right now, I have a malfunctioning PC... *mutter mutter obscenety*

But this is starting to work now... Gee, Jayna's older than I gave her credit for... Although I'm actually rather surprised that noone's had a shot at me for Virgil, Geoffrey or Perriman yet!

15. Wolfsbane

I think you were quite right about them, although Geoffrey could be a little older, as his education took place in Tulla and not in a common school. Magical studies takes more time than usual, I reckon. He is perhaps 26-30?

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Well, after looking at Virgil, when the game starts, he's 28. I never needed Geoffrey or Perriman in my party, so I never checked them.

17. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

According to greatest "Unfortunate Affair", I think Perriman is older - something about 34-35, cause he was taken on many years to Tulla when he was 15.

18. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I thought Jayna was 35 :/ Anyway...

19. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Wasn't the age of legends like a 1000 years ago, which means Arronax would have to be like 1500 or something...

And In Qintarra, there's this female elf who wants you to take her to Tarrant, and she's 150 years old, and your characher can ask if that isn't a bit young for travelling the world...

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Whaaaaat? *swears incoherently*

I just lost four chapters of my fic! ARGH!!!!!!!

:sick: I don't feel so good... Nothing short of major surgery hurts more than losing a pretty clever piece of story... Sunnuva...

:deadly: Scuse me, I'm off to release the sudden unbearable tension...

Our Host!