Would you?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Zanza, May 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

Depends on what I could gain from it. If I was the one to make sure Appleby got in Bates' position, I could get percentages of his income or something, much more than a one time pay for the now-leading manufacturer of steam engines in Arcanum.

And yeah, Bates is weird. He doesn't like that he stole the dwarves' technology but he sends killers if you reveal it to anyone.

2. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

I'd first be utterly amazed that I managed to not only survive, but survive unscathed in a non-wrinkled tailored suit with both shoes still on and a pocket full of coins. Then I'd get my head together and realize that's just how things work for me. I'd then continue to liberate valuables from all the dead bodies only to realize that despite being high class customers on the maiden voyage of an airship, they're downright cheap bastards. As to the annoying twit that verbally assaulted me, he's already gasping his last.
    I'd fully support. And I'd support with a load of mechanized guns and all the bullets they could use. I'd then watch the reverse slaughter tearing Tarrant appart.
    Not likely. I'd wait patiently at the opening of the rift amusing myself with a bottle of wine and blowing up anything that pops out.
    Myself naturally.
    Spontaneous outbursts of giggles and fireballs.
    Mental. And then mind rape the other masters into allowing me to master the rest of the colleges.
    "Hehehehehehehehe it's gonna burn..." or "For the skittles!"
    I'd take out both leaders and watch the boil fall further into chaos as individuals start wiping eachother out, with a bottle of wine.
    I'd follow the main quest. I hate leaving things unburnt.
    I wouldn't. Cumbria's fucked. No point wasting energy in a futile venture.
    I work for Bates, gain his trust, then sell him out for personal amusement and also for his house.

3. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Given that I know the ring belongs to Geebee, I'd definitely have to find out what the story behind it is from his own mouth. I'd simply lie to Mr. Appleby about exposing Bates, to have his assistance in getting to Bates.

Archmage: That's one hell of a catch-up post. I'm fairly impressed, and that's before I realise there are references to skittles, wine and fireballs in the same post.

Hmm...I may have just thought of a question of my own.

If you heard about Garrick Stout's indecent duel with Adkin Chambers, would you become involved? If killing Garrick became your goal, what would be your motive, and how would you kill him?

I'd most likely not be based in close combat, though I may want to be proficient in Dodge, so my motives would be fulfilling Adkin's revenge and ridding the world of Garrick. I'd probably set an immobilising trap north of the guard house, slap him, 'demand satisfaction!' and lure him into the trap, filling him with bullets when he's unable to move. A cheap victory, but he deserves no better. Alternatively I could surround the trap with long-fused dynamite, and watch the fuse burn down to Garrick's demise. I think I'm enjoying this too much...

/end essay

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I've often wondered what a charged sword would do if it clashed with his armor. However I would probably poison him. As for Xiao's question, I would probably just hand the guard a sealed letter to be delivered to Bates and give him a few coin to remind him of the importance of the said letter.

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Stout would go to sleep one night and simply never wake up. The watch or guards or whatever would find him with a Dagger of Speed lodged in his chest, and a bum wandering the streets nearby with blood on his hands. Dominate is such a useful assassination tool.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Selling him out will make him escape from Tarant, but he will still own the mansion. You have to kill him to have the possibility to buy the now no-man's-land.

I would become involved, and Stout's death would be my goal. I would do it for pure satisfaction and a feel of doing the right thing, but if I would be skilled in unarmed, I would also be happy to get mastery as a reward.
    As for killing him. Beating the melee master isn't easy, but there nothing a good spell wouldn't handle. It would be quite amusing to dominate his mind, make him take off all of his armor and dance completely naked in the fireplace in front of Preators castle. I would try to make it while the king would be looking from the window. And while dancing, make Stout say how good Ayla was in bed. But her mother even better.

7. Maloch

Maloch New Member

I'd fool Appleby into believing I'd reveal bates,tell the guards about appleby's plot, then I would take out bates. The mercs under the employ of bates will take out appleby for me while I remove bates' and purchase his house after the smoke clears.

I'd get involved to become the master of melee and dodge. As for how I would kill him, if I still had to get his eyes I'd use large amounts of summons and lightning bolts, otherwise I'd use disintegrate.

I'd take them both out before I dealt with the kingdom itself,one less kingdom impeding the advancement of magick.

8. Archmage Orintil

That's weird. I've bought his house without killing him. Or then I'm mixing two different run throughs.
    I'd kill the bastard. There's no other way to become master in both dodge and melee afterall.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You traveled through the void and finally met with Kerghan, however you learn that the only way to return back to your world is by pledging a blood oath [that is unbreakable] to serve him. Do you serve him and destroy life, or do you defeat him and spend eternity in the desolate void?

Probably off him, then after a couple of thousand of years off myself.

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Geesh, that's a tricky one. I doubt that I'd swear an unbreakable oath to someone so openly insane, though! I guess I'd kick his arse and stay in the Void. After all, there's still the dwarves, and being a mage, I could study until I found a way through. The Panarii have been neglecting the wards, so I dare say I'd find a way through eventually.

11. Archmage Orintil

I'd destroy him, then have the remaining dwarves finish their work on the stargate. If it could work for Kerghan, it'd certainly work for someone of a vastly inferior magical bent.

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You traveled through the void and finally met with Kerghan, however you learn that the only way to return back to your world is by pledging a blood oath [that is unbreakable] to serve him. Do you serve him and destroy life, or do you defeat him and spend eternity in the desolate void?

I elect to destroy Life.

Honestly, you can find a gazillion varieties on flying jellyfish, giant lizard and hulking barbarian in the Void, but not a single instance of reasonably attractive humanoid female. As the point of my existence would therefore be moot at this point, I would much rather end my own pain there and then and commit the ultimate solipsism.

13. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I'd kill him, spend thousands of years in the void, go mad, kidnap a dwarf clan to create a portal home, start harassing a completely unrelated man who in turn, because of my actions, will grow strong and seek me, I'd offer him a monologue, rambling about killing all life, and then I'd just die, leaving a potential madman successor behind.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The thing is, that I could join Kerghan not because I had to, but because I could want to, plus:

Listen to the man.

There is also a third option. Kill yourself. Yeah, After all, death would be better than eternal boredom or pledging one's soul to, for some, evil incarnate.

15. Maloch

Maloch New Member

You traveled through the void and finally met with Kerghan, however you learn that the only way to return back to your world is by pledging a blood oath [that is unbreakable] to serve him. Do you serve him and destroy life, or do you defeat him and spend eternity in the desolate void? I'd destroy him,any plans I had for arcanum would be worthless if there is no longer life there.

I may be able to convince the dwarves to continue on the gate for us all to go through or failing that I'll research magick until I rediscover the spell needed to make my own portal out, especially if I can convince arronax to help.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well it would be quite hilarious if all one would have to do in order to return to Arcanum is banish himself from the Void to Arcanum. After all, the whole banishment is a forced teleportation between worlds, but why would there have to be a rule about it's being a one way road? Banish yourself back, problem solved. ;)

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

*stares at Muro's post* Dear lord, I think it would actually work. I think that may be the most brilliant thing I've ever seen!

18. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

I'd defeat him and either do what Muro suggests might work, or let the dwarves continue.

19. Archmage Orintil

Let the dwarves continue. While Muro's theory is sound, it leaves out the fact that banishing requires vasts amount of magickal energy. Enough energy that likely killed Nasrudin. Arronax, afterall, is mentioned putting his pappy to rest after returning to Arcanum. This suggests that Nazzyman either died in sending you to the void, or died soon after. So banishing people between worlds isn't exactly a likely method of transdimensional bing bang.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I said that with a blink because I was aware that there are some factors making the whole idea a little more complicated that it sounds.
    • Firstly, great ammount of magical power. It is said by Nasrudin, that banishment was rarely done by a single person because of the power required. Arronax is known to be banished by three members of the Elven Council.
      Yet it is possible to banish someone alone. Nasrudin propably dies after banishing the Living One, but give him a break, he is after all old and weak. Nn his fine days, he was able to battle the Bane of Kree and banish him just be himself.
      Also note, that the whole Black Mountain Clan was banished. And since K'an Hua is the only one banishing you to the Void when you join the DEs, he could very well be the only one to perform the dwarven banishment and survive. Because if there would be more of mages with that skill among those guy, they would propably help K'an Hua with banishing the Living One as well, wouldn't they? But than again, we can theorise that they died/were killed by then.
    • Another thing. Notice how no one ever banished himself. Of course this can be because that would be stupid. But also, Nasrudin + 2 elven mages were awfully concetrated while banishing Arronax. They propably had to maintain the spell all the time till Arronax hasn't landed in the Void. And it's not too likely to keep that kind of focus when you're being thrown through dimensions. The mage which would try could very well tear himself apart through dimensions as a result. No one was too keen to check if that is true, strangely.
    • The required ability and wisdom. One has not only be a great mage, but actually know how to banish, and that wisdom is extremely rare. Quite possible, that Nasrudin and K'an Hua are the only living ones still possesing it. We may theorise, that Kerghan, while acting as Arronax, could tell K'an Hua to teach his greatest mage the art of banishing. When it would be certain that he knows how to do it, K'an Hua would banish him to the Void, and then his student would banish "Arronax" to Arcanum. Of course the student would be doomed to stay in the Void, but what is one life sacrifaced for the returning of ze great Arronax? But...
    • ...the banishment is such an old and powerful spell, that it may very well fell in the same cathegory as eternal flame and mass resurrection. Which means that one cannot perform it no matter what, unless (possibly, just a theory) he is extremely powerful in the ways of magic and was born when the spell was still possible to perform and gained the knowledge of the spell during that time. And that propably goes only for nasrudin and K'an Hua. Well, maybe, but just maybe the Silver Lady as well.
    PS. I was going to also write that there may be some unknown to us reasons, for which banishing between Arcanum and the Void is really an one-way road, for example the Void as a dimension has a lower level of existing energy, and the banishing mechanics work in such a way that one can only be banished in the direction of the energy flowing from a world of a higher level of it the the one with the lower level. I came up with the example a moment ago, if it sounds lame, you can think about something better in a minute or two. Than again a tech way to travel from the Void to Arcanum exists, so maybe there is no "one-way road" rule after all. Than again the tech way may ignore limitations specific for a very specialized spell which is the banishing. Aaand so on...

Our Host!