Who is your most favorite character that you created?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by gargob, Jul 13, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

If F5 does not work in the unpatched game, leave them outside perhaps? Or play a 1/2 Orc, Raised by Orcs & just don't worry about any followers?

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

As in playing the whole game on my own? That sucks. I mean, I'll have to learn White Necromancy and heal myself *shudders*

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Nah, leave the Virg outside & carry Healing Potions.

The all prowling party comes to mind, but none of those who prowl have any healing at all. Shadowing Robes & thevish Rings?

Does F5 work in the unpatched game?

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Makes sense- but also makes me overweight. Arrows+potions makes quite a lot of encumberance. Would my followers get mad at me if I Entangled them?

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

You are not thinking like a sniper. You do not need a lot of speed, nor healing. Do it right & they never come close. Entangle is an offencive spell, so they would consider it an atack.

Did "Enemy at the Gates" make it over there? It is about the sniper's duel in the seige of Stalingrad.

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Not thinking like a sniper? Nope, I just remember all those dangeons, where range is of little importance. Especially the Bludgeoners in Kerghan's palace- there isn't much space for sniping there.

I've seen it. Here in Israel it went more or less annoticed, but I've heard that in Russia many were offended by "misrepresentation". A great movie though. With my level of history knowlege, I find it fairly accurate.

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Kerghan's palace is a good place for a sniper mage. by that time you will be Master Prowl & have Invisibility. It is wide open compared to some, like the bludgoners in the Bow Master quest. Besides, you will have stun, won't you?

"misrepresentation"??? Can you point me to a thread on that one? My history is rather concentrated in the medeval & renassance. A little weak in 18th - 20th centuries.

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

True. But wouldn't the use of Stun blow my Prowl?
    Sorry, I didn't find it online, it was in the angry letters to Russian newspapers that I still occasionally read. I believe the war veterans mostly complained on the plot line of that manipulative NKVD officer. They're probably just used to Russian movies, in which all "our boys" are always noble heroes.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Dude, if I remember, there is a door for the Kerghan area. So you could open it, snipe, then close it, back up, snipe em, repeat as necessary. And if you shoot them, then stun them, then shoot them more, it won't matter if the see you. They'll be more concerned with looking like a porcupine.

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i'm not saying that a mage/tech character cant be fun, but the way the game was made prevents a mage/tech from becoming as powerful in those skills as a fullon mage or tech character. if you hack a character you destroy this gameplay dynamic, and limit the replayability.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

VERY TRUE, I beat the game once with a hack, and decimating Kerghan single-handedly was fun, but I didn't really feel accomplished. When I made a mage all by my lonesome, Body of Aired him, and Call Winded him to death, it was slightly more satisfying. :lol: ;)

12. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I thought he was a great & quite sympathetic charichter. Could you immagine a commie political officer portrayed that kindly during the cold war? He was noble. He was a hero. Who is the Russian version of John Wane?

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

There isn't one. Russians have a thing for "heroism of the masses". "When the country orders, anyone becomes a hero" (a quote from a post World war II Russian song, originally meant 100% serious and without a tiny bit of sarcasm).

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Wow, Solaris I didn't even notice before, congrats on your avatar.

Shady, You'll be shooting at them. They will be dead. it won't matter that they see you.

Right now, I'm trying a male human archer, with no magic or tech. He's level 19 right now. He can take 3 followers too, so I think I might go with Raven, Zul'Arin, Payne, and Dog. I'm going for a sniper party, and then I'll have dog to play defense. Plus Raven has some healing, and Payne has a little tech to let me make some stuff.

15. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Its called role playing, Blinky. A Ran Away with the Circus mele fighter doesn't care about being seen. A sniper cares a lot.

Being an American & raised on "rugged individualsim" I tend to forget just how deeply colectivisim preveded every aspect of the comunist state. Even genetic theory. So there was no actor who kept getting cast as a hero over & over again like Wane?

And wasn't the occasional machine given hero status like the Sturmvig? (IL 2) (Pardon my spelling & poor memory.) In that case, did the machine elevate* the pilots? Or was the design team the masses that were the hero?

*Not an intentional pun.

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Hey, I have a question. I'm playing an archer, 20 dx, 20 pe, master prowl, dodge, and bow, and no I didn't hack this guy. He has decent st and cn, but no melee skill, and he is expert in spot trap. First off, does st affect bow damage?

Second, I need more followers. I had extra points so I threw into ch and now I can get 4 followers. I like Virgil, my healer, even though he's an idiot. I have Sodd and Dog for melee, and I want to save a spot for Raven. But who should I get in the meantime? I killed Dante and that necromancer in Ashbury. I was "roleplaying", and this guy doesn't take shit from people, so do the math. I also got into a rather serious fight with Magnus about killing the pigs in that quest in Ashbury, a fight that ended wih him dead in the farmer's field.

But here's the senario. I'm a range attacker, and I'm not magic or tech, and I carry a tech and magic bow, so I can o either way. I have 2 1/2 great melee guys, Virgil is ok, and he has healing, and Sodd with a barbarian blade can just flat out rape any guy who fucks with me. So who else should I get. I have no persuasion, and I missed Chukka for some reason I can't recall now. Would Payne be ok for me, it would be nice to have a tech back up, plus he has strong poison schematic, and I need it to make an envenomed bow, I'm getting bored with this compound one.

17. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I don't think so. Didn't notice it while playing my tech archer.

That's two mistakes too many. Dante is better than Virgil, his ST goes up to 20 when he is fully developed, and he can weild some REALLY good melee weapons like an Arcane axe. Virgil will never be able to use anything better than a Filament sword. Magnus can make eye gear, which gives you +2PE and makes an excellent trade item (800 gold each).

Get Sebastian- he can not only make grenades of all kinds, but also throw them in combat. A wisely used Stun grenades makes a BIG difference. Payne is a worse choice- Envenomed bow sucks, so you don't really need poison. If you're after a fellow archer- get Waromon the lizardman, he is very fast (DX21), strong (starts off with ST12, goes up to 20) and is an expert in both bow and melee. He can use any magic blades or bows. Loghaire Thunderstone is also a fairly good tank, hardly worse than any ogre. He is slightly tech biased (just the dwarven racial bonus), so you better give him tech and neutral stuff to wear and wield.

18. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Not really, if you mean the sort of action hero playing the same heroic part over and over again. The only exception os probably the VERY old series "17 moments of the spring" about a Soviet spy infiltrating the Nazi high command. The actor playing the part became amazingly popular, but he didn't get stuck with the same image of a heroic spy. In fact, he became a theatre only actor after that, if I remember it right.

Yeah, there were movies centered around crews of IL2, or a T34, or a "Katusha" rocket battery, but the Russians don't really have actors specializing in action movies only. They simply don't make enough action movies to allow anyone make an action movie actor career.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I've never liked Sebastian. I mean, he is really good, but he just annoys me. Like you said a WISELY deployed stun grenade is good. Last time I had him, he had this nervous habit of pegging me with knockout gas grenades. Of course, I was a melee fighter in that game, and now that I'm ranged he should stay out of my way a little more.

I have no persuasion, so I didn't get Loghaire or Waromon, if I had, I wouldn't need to post this :/ Magnus started with ME about the damn pigs, he friggin tried to kill me. Plus I'm not hurting for cash, I have a hack that scales up the Molochean Hand encounter difficulty, but after every encounter I can search the leader for a bunch of goodies it's all like a duplicate of the same thing, like one time I found 6 Arcane Robes. That's the best haul I've gotten, tied with nabbing 7 Arcane Shields off another encounter. I spend money profusely, and I still never seem to be below 45 grand. Dante didn't want to join me anyway, he's a little, um, gay and retarded.

I have 2 more questions now. First, does Sebastion get Fire Obstruction? Second, if he doesn't, is there any place a non-tech could get one, I want to get a pyro bow to use against tech enemies.

20. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Knock out gas grenades? Who uses them anyway? I said STUN grenades. He NEVER hits me with Stun grenades, but the enemies are becoming totally helpless after the blast.

No.
    Answered in another thread. You can't find fire obstruction, but you CAN find a ready bow.

Our Host!