Who else thinks the thief will dominate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Genocide Angel, May 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genocide Angel

Genocide Angel New Member

Judging from the demo,isn`t it obvious? Pickpocketing is horribly powerfull,it gives you access to equipment other characters wouldn`t even know about! <unless they went around killing every NPC they meet> And stores are a joke,steal one key and you have free access to the shopkeepers loot AND gear! And failing a thieving roll is a simple matter of save/reload till you succeed.And with all your CPs spent in a thieving related manner (pickpocketing/dexterity/lockpicking) you probably won`t have anything left for combat related skills..so what? Give all the cool gear you stole to your followers and bam! they`ll handle the combat for you.And with the first fire spell boosting your dex and an auto lockpick at your side,the world IS yours.And I`m not even gonna start thinking about stealing stuff from other players in MP games.

Sept will see me becoming a Crime lord in Tarant.I can`t wait.

2. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

yeh well certainly having a master thief will be very profitable but considering you are basically gonna have one less fight oriented chr then you may find in the l8r stages of the game that you could well be outgunned
    I can't think of a single RPG where it would have been a walkover if id of had one less chr...

3. Genocide Angel

But with all the nifty stuff you steal,equiping your followers with ultra gear is easy.And because you steal the stuff,you get the cool items waaay earlier as well,making fights a breeze!

4. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

perhaps you are right ..... i suppose we will have to see in the final game.........but then again who wants to be a dirty thief anyway......I would have expected as much from you, ANGEL! heh

5. Genocide Angel

But stealing is so easy! <whine>

And did I mention you can steal the guards guns?

6. skwerly

skwerly New Member

What I don't get is how anyone can successfully "pickpocket" the armor someone's wearing. Or the weapon in his hands.

Shouldn't items of a certain size/weight/state-of-readiness be flagged as "unpickable-unless-unconscious, always-fail, touch-that-and-you're-dead-you-evil-genocide-angel-scum" ?

7. Raistlin

Raistlin New Member

Talking from expirience in other fields,though not knowing how it'll be in Arcanum,its quite common for battle equipment to be limited by fighting related traits,so perhaps so much equipment may only get you so far...
    Any idea if it'll be that way?
    Anyhow,Mages rule,so there.
    =)

8. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

I think everything should be flagged :-
    touch-that-and-you're-dead-you-evil-genocide-angel-scum!!
    :cool:

9. Genocide Angel

HEY! My dex is way to high for me to be flogged! And stealing armor is cool..makes wiping out a town so much easier.What gets me is this: without prowling,in broad daylight you can walk up to someone and steal stuff if your stats are right.

<by the way,does my signature pic work?>

10. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Good observations...I hate to throw around the "F" word, but I recall another game where this was a concern...

1) Part of the reason for releasing the demo is to reveal balance issues...I suspect that weight is meant to play a role in pickpocketing, but they don't have the math down yet.

2) Even though it is possible, I'm not sure I agree that a game should prevent saving/reloading just to prevent abuses...if doing it isn't fun, then don't, you know?

3) As Bad Buck stated (Buck! That wasn't spam! :wink:), later stages of the game may make you wish you'd gone a different route.

One man's opinions...

11. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Sorry to double-post like this...
    G. Angel, if you want a custom pic in your sig line, it's gotta be online someplace persistent...
    If you're hosting it on your home PC, you need to change a lot of settings (and get a firewall); better to go get a free webpage someplace and link to it there, or get a friend with one to host it for you.

12. Xerophyte

Xerophyte New Member

Geno: Signature picture does not work at all. A wild guess from looking at the URL of it tells me that you tried to add a pic from your harddrive, which you can't. You'd have to upload it somewhere and then link the http server in question.

[edit]Oy, it works now . . . and it's from /digimon/, even. Ick :razz: [/edit]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xerophyte on 2001-05-09 13:42 ]</font>

13. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

anyway, i doubt that most people will suffer from lack of coin after their first big missions, quests.

imo GA gambling is as effective, or just being a good techie, so you can sell things for so much coin, and make thing for yourself.

imo the thief is a valid character( at last? )but so are others.

14. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

Gridflay i was under the impression there would be nothing more to be done to the game and therefore wieght would not have been an issue the developers were considering
    however if it does cause a major problem in the final game then im sure a patch would be fourthcoming (an dont forget the demo is an early build)

15. Genocide Angel

Weight? I`m stealing large axes :/ As for the save/load abuse,I agree.I think they should just make certain items un-pickpocketable (cool word that) And they should really really fix the broad daylight robbery thing...that`s just silly.

16. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Hey, nice pic GAngel! (Sorry, that's just too long to repeat...of course, if I keep saying that, I'll be shorter to...damn)

I think when a dev team goes into feature lock, they still have the ability to tweak existing features...that's really what bug fixing and QA are all about.

So if they decide to play with the statistics in pickpocketing, they're not really adding anything, just balancing what's there.

It'll stay in the game, just...better.

17. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I think I may have made myself the king of grave digging, but what happened to this moderators? they seem to have disappeared... have they moved on or what? they actually seem NICE...

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Matt, doing stuff like this doesn't really serve to improve other forumers respect for you, which you seem to want badly. Coming here shouting "I want respect or else I spam" will just make you look like an a-hole, and doing serious gravedigging like this is just the nail that shuts the coffin.

As for your question regarding the old mods - of course they've quite being here. They lost interest or had other things to do, or perhaps they found a life lying around somewhere. You didn't need to gravedig to think that one out, but of course you knew that already - you just wanted to be as irritating as you possibly could, right?

19. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

actually, my main point in digging this up is that the moderators in this were nice, they didn't give ppl shit for mis-spellin shit, or getting a couple hundred posts in bit over a month (Sleek's worse than me, he's got a LOT more)... they were nice, and respectful, even to newbs such as the ones posting... so why then, do the new newbs get shit about everything?

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, it was also two years ago, the game hadn't come out yet, and they didn't have to deal with little shits like you. When I looked at the forum this morning, I couldn't believe my luck - someone had dug up a thread that I knew was exceptionally old. Imagine my delight when it turned out to be you Matt.

And yes, those guys are nice. You even see them from time to time on IRC. However, they couldn't continue their contributions to the forum and left. Newbs don't get shit about everything. You're just suffering from Quethim syndrome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!