which character are you playing with?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarthCyruss, Oct 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I must have joined The House the day its entire membership woke up on the wrong side of the bed. This is actually cozy!

Welcome jlt, Yuki.

How is that dwarf mage working out for you? I've read in other threads that the fatigue penalty for dwarves is pretty difficult to work with.

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Yeah, it wasn't exactly a good choice, I should've gone with a technologist. However, I like a challenge.

I only played a dwarf to see if Magnus would be a bit kinder to me, and perhaps shunning me even more for not knowing dwarven tradition.

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Yuki, if you're playing a dwarf mage you might want to take screen shots and post your progress in the Ironman Competition (it's in general discussions).

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You do realise the Iron Man contest ended like, two months ago, right magikot?

Kudos for having the balls to try a dwarf mage though, Yuki. I've considered it a great many times, but never actually gone through with it. It's like a Half-Orc Paladin in 3.5: nice idea, but I find it to be just a bit too much cross-purposes.

5. Captain Vlad

Captain Vlad New Member

I actually really like that character combination. Nothing says 'you're in for it now' to the forces of evil like Grarthag Bloody-Fist riding in on his righteous steed.

Never actually had a character named that...*scribbles a note*...but you're probably seeing the concept I usually go for there...

6. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Xaio, I'm not sure if it really ended so much as died out.

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Regardless, I'm pretty sure posting in the thread would be considered gravedigging.

8. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

I've done Half-Orc Fighter/Clerics before with great success. ('course, my slogan a while ago was "Fighter/Cleric: Paladin Without The Suck!")

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I've developed quite the soft spot for the Favoured Soul, myself. Although Gann managed to endear the Spirit Shaman class to me by being just plain weird... *mmmm, Gann* Ahem. What was I talking about?

Truth told, I've never played a Paladin before now. My new GM is letting me play one with a positive intelligence bonus (gasp!!!) in the Pathfinder rules, and I really want to try it. Quiet human Paladin who everyone will think is a Fighter until she goes right off.

10. Technocrat

Technocrat New Member

Hi guys this is my first post here.

I've just started playing arcanum for the second time after a gap of a good few years. Didnt really have the pateince for it the first time and didnt get very far. Now though, i'm playing an explosive based technical thief with throwing as my primary offensive ability which i back up with granades and my melee based party.

At level 17 i'm pretty much toast against most creatures so i'm thinking about adding firearms + firearm tech tree to become a rogueish gunslinging demo expert. What do you guys think? I much prefer a challenge and hate to be overpowered so I think ive taken a good route! I cant count the amount of times ive died...

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Firearms would be a good way to add diversity to your character Technocrat, but between all the other technological disciplines, thieving, throwing, and everything else it's probably hard to be effective at your level. If you're finding you're dying/ineffective at early levels it's probably because you've spread your character points too thin early on. Concentrate on something early and hard and that'll usually make the goings go better.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: The excessive bandwagon anti-gravedigging BS on this forum really disappoints me.

12. Technocrat

Technocrat New Member

Thanks for the constructive responses Davis and Philes. And thank you too, Xiao, for the complement on my nick. While i'm at it I'd also like to thank you, Drog, because if it wasn't for your high res and townmap patch I don't know if i'd be playing arcanum now. I find 1024x768 to be the perfect resolution. :thumbup:

I could perhaps go with melee to compliment my throwing, use Magnus's smithy skills for weapons and save myself the extra points in the firearms tech tree thus giving me another discipline to play around with. Which one though? Electricity looks fun as does mechanical however I don't know if melee really fits within my characters ethos. Decisions, decisions!

13. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Charged Rings, Chapeu of Magnetic Inversion, Healing Jacket. All fine tools from the Electricity discipline. And then there's the Tesla Rod, which uses the Firearms skill, so no need to waste points in melee. The downside, it's a "build-and-forget" discipline. Once you build it, it's rare that you have to build another one. Mechanical is a nice discipline as well as a good money maker.
    It's the antics that get me.

14. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Electricity is most powerful when used in conjunction with firearms die to having the single most powerful firearm in the game - Tesla "Gun" (40-80 damage). You should only take up to the charged ring, have two for a perma DX buff and then forget it. If you use firearms more though, def. electricity.

Melee is usually best with Pyrotechnics - Pyrotechnic Axe can be devastating. If you think you'll use Iron Clan Hammer though, I'd advise Smithy for the extra armor. Magnus never builds Elite Mail =(

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The Tesla Gun is one of the best firearms, yet I wouldn't call it the best one. It is more or less on the same level of powerful as the Blade Launcher and the Mechanised Gun, and the big three bows before the Droch's Warbringer.

In vanilla Arcanum no follower will ever get higher than to the forth schematic in the tech tree. It is good to remember this in order to evade dissapointment.

16. Charonte

Charonte Member

Currently playing a typical elf wizard for a change, it's my first time as a magic character and it's sort of stupidly easy. Don't like carrying around ~30 fatigue potions but other wise it's sort of a cakewalk.

Playing with no melee skills, no tech/thieving skills and originally was planning to murder every gnome I could find. Didn't go so well, though. Tarrantian officers didn't go for it anyway.

17. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Actually, Blade Launcher and the Mechanized Gun both have large amounts of bullet spending (with the Mechanized Gun pouring bullets like water), so their damage is offset by the amount of bullets you need to carry at one time (like 5-6k for a dungeon). Tesla Gun uses batteries, which you can carry as electrolyte solutions and metal plates (they take less weight that batteries themselves), and because of the massive damage, the spending is low, and the speed is decent.

The only problem is some enemies have %100 electrical resistance, which means you should carry a looking-glass rifle, an elephant gun or a Droch's Warbringer with you at all times as alternative weapons.

Magick is so easy to play with that it isn't even "fun". The most fun I had was weird technological characters (You can try a stupid techno character with the "Idiot Savant")

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Isn't Idiot Savant an absolute scream! *cackles like the demented banshee that she is* Best way to hear the stupid dialogues, IMHO.

19. Charonte

Charonte Member

Trying this now, since my last character got stuck in some A: Wip area that doesn't seem to have an exit.

Never went for it before because the last game I attempted stupid dialog in pissed me off immensely, but what the hell. Don't think I've ever played a charisma/follower-heavy character either. Hmm...

20. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I'm playing a Elven hunter that uses a hunting rifle and only a hunting rifle, I'm debating whether to allow him to use a looking glass rifle. He hunts people sneakily, I like to think he's a gay necrophiliac as he crouches over their bodies ^_^ I haven't spent the starting 5 or any of the second points you get every 5 levels and have no intention to. In any conversations he must choose the most positive sounding option when talking to a man and the most negative when talking to a woman. In every location there is a population he will kill at least 3 people and run away if necessary.

Our Host!