which character are you playing with?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarthCyruss, Oct 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Eldakar

Eldakar New Member

Try fireflash spell vs pack of monsters. Also you should buy some fatigue slower-draining potions. And 5-6 mage staves. Each of those have 50 mana and will replanish after some time.

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

God, I hate those staffs. That's pure cheating. :D

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

To make game play easier, leave the mines and head to ashbury, get the dog and then go to the graveyard. Stand between two of the mass zombie spawns, leave the computer on and go to sleep. Wake up at level 40.

4. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

:/ I meant easier, not cakewalk.

5. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

By the time you Master Persuasion (by quest), Geoffrey will be at the bottom of the stack anyway.

But yeah. Get Fireflash, get Fatigue Slower items, and max your Magical Aptitude with stuff like Temporal. Trust me, you will feel the power.

6. magikot

Ok, ok. In that case I would suggest simply purchasing the Dark Helm if you don't already have 100 MA and dumping your next 3 CPs into Fire for fireflash as said and just blast away at large groups. After that get your persuasion and then with anything left over either more colleges mastered or maybe round out a bit with some dodge and melee.

7. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Get the Ring of Influence from the Haggle Master (pickpocket, kill, or gain mastery) and the gypsy blessing, and possibly the jewl of hebe so that you don't need to expend as many cp to get your charisma up. And grab the ring of virility for shits and giggles.

8. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I'm trying to go pure mage, since that's a rather new experience for me. My current MA is at 55 (5 in Conveyance + Force, 1 in Dark Necromancy). My dexterity is lather low as well, at which point I need to either invest in DX, or the Temporal College. I could, of course, use several x Agility of Fire, but they need spell slots, which I only have 2 of.

I may sound rookieish, but I never trained Haggle, and thus I don't even know who Haggle master is. Also, where is the Jewel of Hebe? Is it some kind of necklace? I found out that the gypsy blessing raises CH in such a way that it counts towards permanent points (as in, you can raise Persuasion to 3 with 11 native + 1 blessing CH), but I doubt you can do the same with items. Or am I wrong? And what in the heavens is the Ring of Virility?

9. ville-v

ville-v New Member

You don't need dexterity as a mage if you go to real time combat mode. You can cast almost as fast as you can click. Spells will just do more fatigue.

Shitloads of mana is what you need. Constitution increases regeneration rate. Ring of virility adds constitution. Fatigue slowers slow mana usage down.

And all stat+- effects do affect your ability to increase skills.

Ring of virility, haggle master and jewel of hebe are in Tarant. Jewel of Hebe has only one guard, it is in the Panarii temple, others are bit trickier to obtain.

10. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Well, pickpocketing is never a trouble, since I always have a bunch of Fate points.

I went with Temporal School, for the speed enhancers and the slowing effect of Tempus Fugit (a truly terrifying spell!). In 2 more levels, I will have mastered the college, after which I will start pumping CN and possibly IN, for spell slots. Which are breakpoints for heal rate for CN and spell slots for IN? 12/15/18 or 12/16/20?

11. Archmage Orintil

Just get the Ring of Virility (+2 CN), and the Amulet of N'Tala(+1 CN, +1 ST, +50% Heal Rate) or Staff of Restoration (same as amulet). That way you get heal rate 6 without investing any cp into CN.
    For spell slots it's IN divided by 4. So 4/8/12/16/20.
    The Ring of Virility is on a pervert gnome in Tarant. The Amulet of N'Tala is in Stillwater, but only after Wheel Clan. Staff of Restoration is in Caladon.
    Stat increases with items count as well. Oh, you might want to go ahead and grab the gloves of dex from the elf trader in Ashbury as well. A bit of boost to your speed without investments is always good. However, with Temporal it may be a bit moot. The Ring of Virility is a non-magic ring (at least it doesn't show up as magickal) that gives a +2 CN bonus. It's worn by a butt ugly gnome that has a whore fettish. If you play a female, you get a quest to service him from Mad'am Lil.
    You can get the Jewel of Hebe without fighting if you stand as far away from the chest as possible, go into prowling (you don't need any ranks), and cast Unlocking Cantrip.

12. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Already got all these items. Learned Temporal College, maxed CN (with the ring, of course), using Jewel of Hebe to reach 20 CH.

I am pretty much set. In my adventures, I found 3(!) Mystic staves, plus bought one Arcane, so now, in addition to ~140 native fatigue, I have 320 mana in staves. Enough to disintegrate a swarm of Fire Elementals without even mastering the Force College.

With Force Shield (oh god, what a powerful spell), I have 95 DR, which means I am almost immune to physical damage.

Playing a mage becomes increasingly easier...

13. Archmage Orintil

If you want a challenge while playing a mage, then be a dwarf with the magick allergy background, and hardest difficulty level. I got skrumped by the bridge gnome...

14. malango

malango New Member

haha thats madness! I don't think I'd dare try that.

15. Archmage Orintil

Yeah, it was fucked. I was bitched and pimped slapped left and right. Thankfully it was only a 15 minute game, otherwise my ego wouldn't have survived.

16. ville-v

ville-v New Member

If you want harder game, I have an idea: You are a gentleman. Your equipment is rapier, smoking jacket, top hat and fine shoes. Nothing else. Never.

And if you hear the slightest clue of any kind of evil act, you must rush in and kill all evil people.

17. magikot

Don't forget the pocket watch!

That set up isn't exactly difficult. While that may be all you can equip, mastering melee, dodge, backstab, and the temporal and conveyance college makes that game kind of easy, but is much harder at the beginning of the game.

Also, a gentleman should only ever have his faithful pet dog by his side.

18. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Gentlemen do not pet some filthy farm animals. Franklin Payne is the only gentleman of the game.

You cannot master melee or backstab either, because you must kill evil people right away. And since you cannot even expert backstab, you could only use it with dagger, which is not tool for a gentleman.

If that still feels too easy, choose a levelling scheme "High Class NPC".

19. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Pfft. A gentleman must always be dignified towards individuals of class, even if they are utter cads.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Well said, Master Ramidel, very well said sir!

After all, one cannot claim to have class without acting in the correct manner, no matter how much of a dastardly bounder the other half of the conversation may be!

Our Host!