What would you do when ALL petroleum would be depleted ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sofokl, Nov 22, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Thank you very much, Mathboy ! I don't know how this sort of actions are called in English, but in Russia what you made is pronounced "bayda". Muchos graciaz, merci, Danke.

2. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Don't underestimate the lasynes of this forum, noone is going to be bothered to find a dictionary, to find out what the fuck are you talking about.

3. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

So I think bayda roughly can be characterised as "very humoristic trick", althought this meaning doesn't reflect original meaning fully. And this word isn't in dictionary

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Naw, we oughta set up a plant in the Middle East. That way, if it blows up, not even Nobodie'll care.

5. floyd

floyd New Member

I know that matches are made from a small piece of wood with a tip that consists largely of 'phosphorus', thank you for pointing out th obvious. However: fossil fuels DO play a HUGE role in the production of matches. Always have, always will.

Let's show you how:
    1 - Chopping the trees needed to make matches requires chainsaws or other cutting material. These chainsaws need to be produced and the production of chainsaws can only happen in some sort of factory containing big industrial machines and tools which will, no doubt, require fossil fuels to work. Chainsaws themselves - the kind they use to chop them trees - require fossil fuels to run, by the way.
    2 - Transporting the trees to the big ol' match factory. As far as I know, transportation of several tons of wood can only be done with big friggin' vehicles which require - here you have it again - fossil fuels. The construction of the big friggin' vehicles that are needed to transport these tons of wood happened - no doubt - in a factory that needed fossil fuels for its machinery to run. (And even if them machines ran on electricity, the electricity was largely produced with the bruning of some sort of fossil fuel, thank you very much).
    3 - Cutting the trees into smaal toothpick-like shapes. Oh boy, I would not be surprised if they needed fossil fuels for this operation as well. Actually, now that I come to think of it: a large number of the workers in all of these factories no doubt went to work by car, thus consuming fossil fuels. They are also, no doubt, wearing some kind of protective head and eyegear that consists of plastic, which again - oh yeah - needed fossil fuels to be produced.

Do I really need to go any further? Do I have to tell you that those boxes of matches you find at the supermarket arrived there thanks to fossil fuels (for transport), were packaged in a smaal cardboard box (manufactured in a factory that runs primarely on fossil fuels in one way or another and that is manned with a staff whose lives revolves primarely around fossil fuels) and so on and so on? We haven't even spoken about the phosphorus yet, go figure.

I don't blame you for your ignorance, because it's a mistake most humans make. They think fossil fuels are only needed to make cars work and to make plastic, while in fact fossil fuels are needed TO DO ALMOST EVERYTHING in the world.

And NO: THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE for fossil fuel and there never will be. You can not have a world with six billion people without fossil fuels. You can not do what we do today with a mix of wind-, solar- and nuclear energy. You can't make 700 million cars run on bio diesel (it would require us to use the whole African continent as farmland to grow the crops needed for that humongous amount of bio diesel).

So what will happen when fossil fuels get too expensive and/or the wells get depleted? PEOPLE WILL DIE. Not all six billion of them, but not much less either. It's just common sense. Deal with it. :-x

6. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

All requires petroleum... unfortunately :-( Even my father who drives me at school require fossil for his auto . I will go and KILL HIM ! DEATH TO PETROLEUM CONSUMERS !!!:akimbo::rifle::minigun:
    oh, I don't want to walk myself ! why I ?!

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

8. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

No. wanna me to show what is smile abuse ?

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'm more worried about the Las Plagas getting out of Europe than I am about fossil fuels going bai bai. Creepy-ass scary parasite things...

You should all be more worried about the insane parasite in Spain, you fools! For fuck's sake, stock up on weapons and ammo whilst you have the chance!!!

(I think this proves that I have to give up the constant Resident Evil 4 gaming. RAR.)

11. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

start :)

12. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Matches were invented in 1827, cars in the end of that century. Guess no one worked to make matches back then because there were no cars.

Also, logs of course don't float so you can't just haul them into a river so they float down to the match-factory.

Oil today is used to power cars (and some machines but that could be done using biofuel). Saying you need it to do any work at all is just stupid. It's like saying you need a computer to work, how else can you send an e-mail to your wife telling her you have to work late.

13. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Would it not be easier to just nuke the middle east instead of going to the step of bulding a nuclear powerplant there?

14. Notharah

Notharah New Member

Yeeees... u... know... what ... is ... fun????? [drools of sarcasm]

To... let... one... nation.. with... nukes... fire ... the... first... one... and ... wait... for ... all ... hell... to ... be... unleashed... as... the ... other... nation... fires... back... and... so... on... and ... so .. on.
    :/

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

ea, but at least this way we can extort more from those sand-eating bastards before we blow them to hell.

16. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

What would Liechtenstein do when all fossil fuels would be depleted ? They now only import it cause they don't have any.

17. floyd

floyd New Member

In 1827 factories were a) built in the middle of cities, easily accessible to everyone and polluting like hell (London's famous pea-soup) or b) close to a source that delivered the main ingredient for the product, built with shacks and tents around it where the workers slept, ate and were engaged in homosexual activities. They would leave home for a couple of weeks or even months and return back to their wives with money and/or food. Sometimes these settlements would grow into small towns where life was hard and hygiene unknown.
    In either case, the workers found their way to the factory.
    So what exactly are you trying to say, Einstein?

Actually: no. Sure: they won't sink, since wood floats (thanks for pointing out the obvious, by the way). But justing hauling big logs into a river and hoping that they'll eventually arrive at some match-factory, no, I'm sorry, that's not how it works. I suppose you could transport it the old-fashioned way: put logs on some sort of boat, tie ropes to the boat, tie th other end of those ropes to horses walking along the shore and let them horses pull the boat full of logs to the match-factory. And then you could have hundreds of workers cut them logs up into toothpicks, all manually.
    Ha!
    Even a simple-minded human being should understand that producing matches for six billion people in that kind of way is damn near impossible.

Wow, duder, are you like living Thoreau-style in a cabin in the woods with only a shotgun in the hand and the occassional rabbit on the stove? 'Cause - hello? hello? hello? - most people nowadays do in fact need a computer to do their work. And as far as I know, an e-mail can only be sent with... a computer (and some cellular phones or whatever thos contraptions are called). Again: what are you really trying to say here? What's your point?
    A blunt and ridiculously stupid statement like "Oil today is used to power cars" makes me wonder whether you know anything at all about the world you live in. Sure, duder: cars need oil (thanks again, mister obvious), but do you really, honestly think that's all oil is being used for (oh, right, you also mentioned that 'some' machines need oil, but that those machines could run just as well on biofuel)? Wake up, really. Read a book now and then. Use the internet to your advantage. Use google. Watch a documentary now and then. And for God's sake: Open your eyes!

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Heh, you called him matchboy.

Look, while you are right Floyd, we do are quite dependant on technology, we still don't need it. No one said it was going to be pretty when we run out of oil. But we will survive. Just as long as we learn how to love, I know we'll stay alive.

19. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Jeeze Floyd, show a little optimism! Mankind has the ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome. And I for one do not need matches because I have magickal powerz. So there.

20. floyd

floyd New Member

Just saying, that's all. :roll:

Our Host!