What is this game??

Discussion in 'Mystary!' started by Spiffy, Sep 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

And why are people still thinking it's gonna come out even though Troika's dead?? :-?

I'm confused :???:

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's not coming out, we created this forum when Troika was still around and we all had high hopes for something that looked suspiciously post-apocalyptic, though I always hoped it was Arcanum 2 myself.

The occasional discussion is mostly an outlet of nostalgia, really.

3. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

Man... being new to this forum I just head the news. I love Arcanum, too bad there will not be a sequel

4. Quaid

Quaid Member

I agree. And did you see the Mystary! demo? What a shame THAT game was never completed! :(

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    To be painfully honest, the real shame was the bugginess inherent in the entire Troika trilogy that crippled the sales figures. By extension, the REAL shame is the sad fact that the market prefers mindless hack & slash to any actual roleplaying, which was Troika's vision.

6. Quaid

Quaid Member

RIP Troika. I very much agree with their vision.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    To me, Arcanum is still the #1 game in the world. Atmosphere, style, novelty, kick-ass soundtrack, great storyline, it's got it all.

The Temple of Elemental Evil, to this day the only CRPG to faithfully adhere to the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 ruleset. Turnbased combat has never been this good.

Vampire Bloodlines, what other game has such impressively done dialogue, really?

It's a real shame that all of these gems were so flawed.

8. Quaid

Quaid Member

Speaking of ToEE, I just downloaded the demo (never actually played it before). It looks and plays very nicely. I don't suppose they included a WorldEditor with it like they did Arcanum?

And the flaws you speak of - you mean bugs straight out of the box? Because I believe the patched versions are very playable.

Or do you mean the broken mulitplayer and to a lesser extent combat of Arcanum, and the combat in Bloodlines?

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    For starters, ToEE is very often unplayable no matter what you do. Depending on your rig, you may have to find the right combination of official and fanmade patches to simply enter character creation, with no guarantees that things will work from then on (fucked up radial menu's and unlootable corpses being obvious favorites).

Admittedly, I'm no expert on how the economics behind all this works exactly, but unless a game is insanely overhyped, bugs hurt sales. Poor sales figures cost money. Developing patches costs money. It's not a pretty equation really.

It simply won't do to not have a functional product until six months post release.

And sorry, but ToEE doesn't come with an editor.

10. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

ToEE is the one Troika game I never got and now I can't find a copy anywhere, although I just brought a few more Arcanums bringing curent stocks to 7 copies.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Heh, interestingly enough, Vampire and ToEE are quite common in bargain bins where I live.

How about I send you a copy in return for one of your Arcanum's, alternatively the Arcanum map?

12. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

I never had any problem with ToEE from what I remember. It ran fine on my computer :/

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    While it used to run fine on the computer I had before, many questlines were broken and I had to resort to fanmade fixes to get it work properly. For instance, I remember not getting that blue elven chainmail I was promised to get after having saved Countess Tillahi. Such things tend to nag me.

The problem with all the Co8 stuff is that while they do fix a lot of issues, they add a whole lot of additional content I simply do not want in my game. I recall how it changed the starting equipment for all my characters, including some weird white cross thingie in my inventory which caused the game to CTD whenever I clicked on it.

14. Quaid

Quaid Member

15. Vorak

I can order it in at EBgames if I really want it, its just that I tend to impulse games if I see them.

Am the only one with the map or something? It came in the original large size box with the printed manual.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    I've bought TWO of the large boxes with printed manuals, but none of them came with a map.

You should consider yourself lucky.

17. Vorak

Has DU still got current contact info for the Troika guys? I'd like to know if it was some kind of 'Only 1 in 100 games come with one' type of prizes.

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I bought mine used so I never got the cloth map either. But I did get the quick-keys card with a map printed on the back side.

19. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I'm pretty sure it depends on where you bought it. I know that the boxed copies in Sweden weren't identical to the ones bought elsewhere (at least they were rated by some European rating thing that gave age limits and doesn't exist anymore instead of the American one that gives them M or R). Though I have no idea where my box is.

20. Vorak

I have my original box, map and quick keys card but unfortunately I lent my original Arcanum discs and manual to a firend who I'd known for years but who the promptly disappeared off the face of the Earth when I tried to get my game back. The large box has a hinged front on it with a bunch of screenshots and a list of features suppossedly in the game; One of which is a spell that lets you walk on water.

The economy box is smaller, has fewer images and just contains the 2 discs in paper sleeves, my current 7 copies are of this variety.

Our Host!