what guns are good?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by namad, Sep 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. namad

namad Member

what guns are good?... it seems sometimes a schematic will "upgrade" a gun into a worse gun! i can make the hand cannon into the shreck multibarrel... i make the looking glass rifle into a pistol and then into a flame based pistol... i can make the charged accelator gun into the high velocity pistol each of these *upgrades* seems to perhaps end up making a worse gun! is it just a matter of preference? as i supposed physical, fatigue, electrical, and fire damage types are not equally effective against each type of enemy although i dont really know which to favor... some weapon seem to do massive amounts of electrical poison or fire damage but i am not sure if i should ignore this as many enemies may not be hurt by it? (car arcanum)

is the droch warbringer the same thing as the elephant gun or are they different those are two of the only guns i've heard of i cannot make so far...

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Please use the search function. This question has been discussed lots of time and I can't actually read what you're writing, so please read those threads instead of post and save all of humanity some pain.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Droch's Warbringer is the best gun in the game, but the schematics for it are found towards the end of the main plot. It is basically a very powerful (20-40D +10ED), reasonably fast (Speed 13) pistol with low MSR requirements. As it is a pistol, it allows you to carry a shield.

The three best guns before Warbringer are the Mechanized Gun, the Blade Launcher and the Tesla Gun. Damage and speed wise, they are near identical, but the Tesla gun does electrical rather than normal damage, which is often an advantage, and has an overall coolness factor to it. The Blade Launcher is cheaper to feed and more reliable (less gap between minimum and maximum damage). The Mech gun eats bullets in unbelievable quantities, but gives you more tactical flexibility (it deals out the same total damage but in LOTS of shots, so you can finish off one opponent and redirect fire towards the next one).

The Elephant gun is slightly less effective than the Big Three, but it's good enough.

Mid-level guns are trickier. The Hand Cannon is the golden standard against which all mid-level guns will be compared below. The HC itself is a good choice, so is the Charged Accelerator Gun, though the HC is preferable as it lets you have a shield. The Pyrotechnic gun is weaker than the CAG, but not entirely hopeless. The Rifled Cannon sucks. The Looking Glass Rifle is AWESOME in an unpatched game, not worth much after the patch unless you haven't acquired a Hand Cannon yet. The Long Range Pistol is quite good, although not as good as the Hand Cannon (it would've been, were it a tad bit faster). The Acid gun sucks. The High Velocity Pistol sucks. The Flamethrower looks cool, but sucks nevertheless. Bronwyck's gun has an extremely low MSR and the coolness factor as somewhat redeeming qualities, but it still sucks, especially in real time as the projectiles are slow. A good gun to give to Franklyn Payne if you haven't the Warbringer yet. The Grenade Launcher is an enigma, I've never used it so I don't know how it does in the field, but the listed damage doesn't appear impressive. Tranquilizer gun is a must have if you dig knocking the breath out of your enemies and calmly cutting their throats as they lie on the ground helpless. The Sharpshooter's Pistol is quite effective early in the game, don't underestimate the range and TH bonus it gives.

4. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

search function didnt help much for this. too much non car arcanum noise.

5. namad

namad Member

okay so i was right that some upgrades are really downgrades

okay so i was right that some upgrades are really downgrades...

i haven't seen the mechanized gun yet and the droch is my doctorate scheme not a found....

the droch is just insanely awesome ... the telsa gun seems to be a tad slow and random but since i've only found 1black diamond so far i can just spread the love around my group

6. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Re: okay so i was right that some upgrades are really downgr

Bangelian Deep near the Bodokan village is crammed with black diamonds if i recall correctly.

7. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Re: okay so i was right that some upgrades are really downgr

How does Drochs compare to the gun Chris put on the ground in the middle of Kree? the gun with no name? That thing is insanely destructive although meeting the requirements is harder.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As far as guns go, my personal favorite is the Divine Fire Pistol, which you get at the Dangerous Village. It does massive damage with exploding bullets and is uneffected by high tech or magic!

9. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

does it injure fire immune monsters too?

and does anybody know what the intended name for the nameless gun chris put in kree was?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is very good against fire-immune monsters, undead gunfighters, Monsterians, and pissed-off gods. My one and only grumble with it was when you attack an ore-golem it gets damaged.

As for the advanced weapon on the surface of Kree - it doesn't seem to have ever been named, although it appears to have been the prototype for the Silver Terminator in the sewers below.

Kill Kergan in one round? How's about in one shot?

11. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

i mistook your gun for another one. where is the one you were actually referring to found?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Car-Arcanum. The Dangerous Village. Way out behind the main building inside another building.

If you haven't gotten the location by now, talk to one of the wandering traders. Watch for the line that says "Is wilderness trading easy?". That will lead to an offer of cleaning out the bandits and gaining the respect of the traders.

Be warned however - you will need to teleport into the place and you'll be the prime target in a shooting gallery.

I always loaded all my followers with Morgana's Tears and Ressurect potions before trying that place at level 30 but then again, I have also heard of a fellow who cleaned it out solo. At any case, be sure to save before you teleport.

13. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

is that the same as the assasins village? I found that but i didnt have to teleport in and I survived with no deaths with 7 followers all of us at level 20. Another indication it might be the wrong place is that I didn't see any guns apart from hunting rifles and a single flamethrower.

On the other hand when we killed the last of them we got a message that the wilderness traders would treat us more favorably now and offer us more items. suggesting maybe this was the village you meant afterall?

14. namad

namad Member

after you do assassin village

after you do assassin village find a wilderness trader and talk to them they will add rumors map locations to your world map these are some high end locations

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were in the right place but appearently didn't go out back. There's two buildings outside heading west from the main building. The pistol is in the farthest of the pair.

BTW: How in the hell did you get in there without teleporting?

16. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

aha! bingo. it does indeed suck that it somehow takes damage from ore golems though. wth? I think for turn based I like the nameless kree gun better. one shot ore golem kills...woot!

As to how I got to the assassin village without teleporting I can only guess. It had been on my map since very early in the game but I hadn't been able to afford a teleport scroll.

When I was heading back to tarant from forcing my way through the vendigroth pass (from having collected the items at the strange pond) I had set it as my last way point figuring it was sure to be clear of the valley. When I arrived I expected to be on the shore of a lake or something unable to reach the village but instead i was right in the courtyard of the big U shaped building with a huge battle royale instantly sprung on us.

In short we walked right in!

Possibly my game is bugged?

Possibly chris made an unannounced modification?

What happens to you when you try to walk a character right into the assassins village?

On the world map do you see the assassins village as a point a bit north and west of Ashbury? Maybe the location itself varies from game to game (is that even possible to mod into a game?)

I really don't know.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As for walking in - you succeded where I had always failed. Kudos!

Any time I tried to walk in, I'd get the message telling me that the way was blocked and I'd have to find another means. The entry problem is caused by the start location being in the middle of the courtyard. Trying to get there from just about any direction places the building in your path and blocks you. You must have hit the angle just right.

And the location is fixed. It does not move as Chris built the site directly onto the main map. Otherwise: There are no particular bugs to that spot that I have been able to find. I even went as far as to unpack the game so I could study Chris' modifications.

Finally, the gun gets damaged from the "chips" flying off the ore-golems as you shoot them. 1 point damage = a small scratch. After a while though, those scratches start adding up.

Our Host!