Weapon description?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by ConjurerDragon, Mar 5, 2021.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Member Supporter

Could someone translate what this dagger actually is supposed to do?
    I found it as random loot in a chest and, having started as a dwarven technogunfighter I wonder if it would be of any use to me...

upload_2021-3-5_17-54-49.png

Speed 12 sounds to be twice as fast as the Kite Sword with 6. Is the number in paratheses always added? So that damage 1 - 4 (+6) would be 7-10? What does "Mana" do? And "magick power available 6%?

2. ConjurerDragon

When I entered Bettie Boos Mine a while later and grabbed the lantern to my left arm / shield arm I get a red warning over my pistol with "MSR: 7".
    MSR would be minimum strength required? Does that mean I am too weak to operate the pistol I made myself because I carry a lantern with the other hand? ( the character is weak because I had chosen miracle operation after the last restart when I installed UAP ).

3. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

- the higher MSR is and the higher the chances are for critical misses
    - speed indicates the velocity of attacks
    - pluses in parenthesis are bonuses in tech/magic attitude (magical characters gets bonus if the item is magical and technological characters gets bonus if the item is technological)
    - mana indicates the extra fatigue (the blue bar on the right) you receive (in your case you will receive 5 extra points in fatigue on top of your 24 points)
    - magick power available indicates how much the magic in the item will work based in your actual magic attitude (in your case you have 6% percent and 5 extra mana, this means if you raise your magic attitude the higher will raise the magick power available and higher will be the extra mana you receive)

It's a lot I haven't played this game so I might be wrong on some of these answers....

4. ConjurerDragon

I did take the technology to make +2DEX rings and now the Magick Dagger appears as +0% Magic to me - so to my dwarf it´s just a common dagger as he can´t get any of the advantages in parenthesis?

Now I tried to hand over all daggers I found so far to Virgil so that he would perhaps take the best for him instead of his staff - but Virgil clings to have his staff equipped. Only when I take the staff away from him and manually put the Magick Dagger in his hands does it show as 50% magic. Which would mean that the magic dagger would be better than his staff - why does he not recognize that?

5. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

No, only the magical advantage, in this case the mana

Maybe because that staff has better damage

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Many points were addressed, but I'll add a few things where possible.

What's added is the number in parentheses times the % of magick power available, rounded down to a full point of bonus damage.
    6% is very little for a +6 bonus, so you're getting nothing (since 0,06 * 6 = 0,36, rounded down to 0).
    You'd need at least 18% (which in magick dagger's case means max -32 tech*) to get a single point of bonus damage (0,18 * 6 = 1,08, rounded down to 1).
    At that -32 attitude, the dagger would do 1-4(+1) damage, so 2-5, assuming you have no additional damage penalties/bonuses from your Strength stat.

*following the logic that magick attitude goes from 0 to 100, while tech goes from 0 to -100

Note that those speeds don't necessarily translate to being twice as fast.
    A weapon with 6 speed consumes 6 action points per attack, while a weapon with 12 speed - 4 action points.

As Barabbah said, mana is basically extra fatigue for your spells. When you have some mana from a specialized magickal weapon, spells draw from that pool first before tapping into your fatigue.

Note that mana isn't exactly the same as bonus fatigue in the sense that it's for spell casting/maintaining purposes only. Any fatigue damage you receive will skip mana and drain your fatigue points directly instead.

Indeed. Weapons that can (logically, even if the animations don't reflect it) be held either with one or two hands (so everything other than staves, bows and rifles that are two-handed only; and other than gloves/daggers that are always used with a single hand) have a second, higher minimal strength requirement if a shield or device is held in the other hand.

It's an additional 2 strength for weapons with a two-handed minimal strength of up to 12; and a +4 for those with a >12 two-handed STR requirement.

NPC/follower equipment picks are... often questionable. For some reason, they especially enjoy replacing their perfectly fine items with cursed ones when given the opportunity.

For weapons they likely pick the ones that hit the strongest in a single hit - which can often be a poor choice DPS-wise when it's a slow one, like in this case the dagger vs staff example.

Our Host!