Wandering Merchants

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by rroyo, Oct 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

This weekend I got a wild hair and decided to debug my copy of Car-Arcanum. Now I've suceeded with Helena Sent and the new Shrouded Hills merchants, but getting the wandering merchants to buy anything has me stumped.

The dialog script seems to be just a modified rural store script, and the invensource.mes gives them plenty of money, but they still won't buy anything - even if you just purchased the item from one of them.

Any ideas?

BTW: The dialog is 00329RandomTraders.dlg.

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

In the rules folder you will find InvenSourceBuy.mes.
    Each line in this file corresponds to a line in InvenSource.mes.
    If Chris added a new line in the latter but not the former then the merchants will not have a list of items which they are allowed to buy so they will buy nothing.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Actually, he did. The merchants do have a fairly comprehensive buy list - however - when I corrected the new merchants in Shrouded Hills, I learned that Chris had started with half-elf guards as the base model. Creating new ones from half-elf shopkeepers solved their problem real quick.

In creating the wandering merchants, Chris used the gnome female listings from description.mes and renamed them to human, elf, dwarf, and so on. Included in the list was gnome female guard, noble, priest, etc, etc.

If this is a similar situation, can you think of a way to correct it without risking established NPCs?

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Regardless of the base model, once you give it a specific InvenSource it will use that inventory plus the InvenSourceBuy that is associated with it.
    So I don't really understand the problem.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Neither do I, but I did have to change the Shrouded Hills merchants to get around the no-buy problem.

Our Host!