Walkthroughs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chalcedony, Dec 3, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do You Use Walkthroughs?

1. OF COURSE! Can't live without 'em!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Well....only after I've finished the game once, so I don't miss out on the good stuff.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only when I'm stuck.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Walkthroughs Are EVIL! They spoil the game!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

The other day I was waddling through Fallout 2 (nice game, btw) when I got stuck somewhere (Toxic Caves) and had to refer to a walkthrough. Felt guilty immediately, as I promise myself before starting any game to finish it without browsing to GameFAQs.

ARGH! Don't you hate it when your cousins come over for your grandma's birthday and take over your room (the one with the computer?) I HATE IT!

2. xento

xento New Member

Nope. Never had that happen to me. :D

3. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

Eh, I use them when I'm stuck, ocasionally I skip ahead a bit to see what is in store for me

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I got into internet forums from Fallout. Finished the game but never figured out how to get into the Glow. Net search, found NMA, read the forum, smacked myself on my head for being so stupid as to miss the beam in the middle of the hole, went back and played the game. Finished it again. Went to the forum and started plastering my opinion everywhere. Ahhhh... Reminiscing is great.

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You couldn't figure out how to get into the Glow? How stupid were you? I found it easy to kill all the robots on my way through so I wouldn't have to kill them when they actually fought back on my way out.

And the Toxic Caves, no matter how much I searched and tried to find a way into that elevator, it wasn't until I had some electronic lock picky thingy and a high lockpick skill that I could get in there. Then I punched the robot for 4 hit points and killed it. Damn I love Unarmed...

6. Milo

Milo New Member

I always end up using walkthroughs because I always get stuck sooner or later in a game. It doesn't even seem to matter what kind of game anymore; I'll eventually get stuck.

Note that I'm counting message boards and walkthroughs as the same thing. I'd rather sign up to a message board and ask for some help than risk spoiling the whole game searching through a FAQ. I usually save the walkthroughs for after I finish the games.

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I only use them once I played the game through first. Usually, I miss out a whole load of stuff, and play it badly, but I play it.

I then go through with a walkthrough to get all the stuff I missed, and I get even more enjoyment out of it, because I don't have to continuously beat myself over the head because I can't figure things out.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I look for hints and stuff when I'm stuck, and then once I feel I've exhausted all the possibilities I can think of, I look at a walkthrough to see all the stuff I miss. Then I play through again to accomplish absolutely everything I can. Only so I can have the 'perfect' character/savegame/whatever. Sad, isn't it? Obsessive behaviour is such a waste of time...

9. carlstar

carlstar New Member

green key

Walkthroughs are oh so very valuable. Say if some stupid puzzle in the game is driving you mad or you actually did need the green key for the green door but you sold it because you thought it was a joke.

When playing Icewind dale 2 i found i was using it constantly but then that game was shite and deserved what it got... A big fat deleting.

10. xento

xento New Member

What's wrong with Icewind Dale II?

I often use walkthroughs for World Editors and stuff like that, because I just can't figure that hard-to-use stuff out, and until they can made an easy-to-use, user-friendly one, I probably wont understand them without tutorials like DU's Amtut, which is not finished, so I only half understand WorldEd.

11. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I have only used a walktrough once. That was when i played fallout 2. Okay i was stuck, did not know how to become a citisen of vault city i needed it okay, then i read on and on. It totaly ruined the game and in the end I only felt dead inside. But i had to do it i needed to know how to get into vault city. and i regret it so very much. You musssssst forgive me. :cry:

12. DarkUnderlord

Nope. I'll never forgive you. You stuffed up. Too bad.

13. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

The first walkthrough I ever looked up was how to beat the ending in DoomII. Man, that stage sucked.

BTW, what's with that sixth toe you keep growing in fallout2? Does it actually affect anything when you amputate it? If you never amputate do you end up with 20 toes or something?

14. Milo

Milo New Member

You can't become a citizen in Vault City if you have an extra toe. No Muties allowed.

You can also eat it if you want to poison yourself.

15. carlstar

carlstar New Member

dumbness

I thought NeverWinter Nights was better than IWD2 and i hated NWNs.

IWD2 is the same thing over and over and over and they have annoying puzzle type things that become a chore. The party members get stuck as the path finding has actually got worse since the original Infinity engine games, oh and there was alot of wondering back and forth and the ambushes can drive you mad. If you have a mage of some sort then make sure they can run fast as they always seem to be targetted and become a liability.

If you play it your best bet wil be to have a cleric and 5 fighters and don't forget the walkthrough and dalekeeper2.

On the 'CarlStar is some sort of God rating' - it's a dog that was put down, packaged and sent to hungry refugees and shat out into bags and then put on shelves as a game to aggrivate the kids.

The happy ending.
    I borrowed it so payed no money.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Apparently you can also use the toe to kill Frank Horrigan in one hit. Never tried it myself - always forgot to amputate the toe and use it on him. Ah well.

17. carlstar

carlstar New Member

i saw that toe frank thing somewhere too but have never come about the extra toe. I had the ear but no toe. i guess it involves some high INT and CHA or something like that to even notice it.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually, all you need to do is walk on that radioactive green shit in places like the Toxic Caves without any...'protection'...and wait for the bunion to grow. Takes a little time, and then you just have to go to the BoS base in San Fran to get it removed. Simple as.

19. Milo

Milo New Member

I heard that, too, but it's not true. I tried it and it did like 3 damage to him, and may or may not have poisoned him. I think the whole "use the toe on Horrigan" was just a way to trick people into wasting a turn against him.

20. DarkUnderlord

Hey! That ending was great! The first, first person shooter that didn't have some really easy bad ass at the end that you just shot to death with your Biggest Possible Weapon™. I used to love turning off clipping, walking through the walls and punching, I think it was John Carmack's head, behind the wall¹. Great stuff.

¹It was his head you were shooting rockets through the gap in the wall at.

Our Host!