Vendigroth: enjoy :)

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wangus, Jan 5, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. xento

xento New Member

I finished my 3 day search of the area around Shades Beach and found the strange machine there to be of Vendigroth origin. This excited me, for this suggested that Vendigroth once traveled outside of the Vendigroth Wastes. After making myself a gun with the parts and schematics found near the huge meca-fish, I traveled to my concealed boat off the coast of Shades Beach. Being the expert on Vendigroth, I decided to search the ruins for myself. On the way I studied the parts, schematics, and the gun I had made. Finally, I arrived at Ashberry. I bought some supplies and found some ammo that seemed to work in the strange gun, but just to be safe, I packed my trusty Testla Rod in my journey bag. I then headed for an area that I supposed was where a bridge once was. After a 2 week journey, I finally found the bridge. I stared at awe for a few minutes at the obviously Vendigroth-origin bridge before pulling out my notepad and jotting some notes. After I had taken a few pictures, I crossed the bridge and went in the direction I supposed would take me to the Vendigroth Ruins. I tried my best to avoid any contact with Tulla, for it would ruin my camera and fine equipment, not to mention get me turned into an animal most likely. Almost 1 week later, I arrived at the Vendigroth Ruins. I was too buisy jotting notes and taking pictures to notice the strange spider-woman creeping up on me. Before I knew it, I feel a painful sting as the creature jabbed me with it's claws. Quickly as I could, I pulled out my Testla Rod to discover that it wasnt charged! Trying to think with the creature moving in for the kill, I remembered the strange gun. Pulling it from where I had stashed it, I pulled the trigger. There was a huge flash of greenish-yellow light and a strange beam shot forth from it's curious chassis and struck the creature square in the chest. The creature crumpled to the ground with a huge hole through it's body. I was too stunned at the results to realize that my wound was beginning to swell up. After about 5 minutes or so, I began to feel very drowsy and sick. I tried my best to spend the night there, leaning up against a huge statue arm made of some strange green metal. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly to try to keep the sand out of them and spent the night mixing and taking a few different cures I knew how to make. By morning, I felt a little better, but still had a bit of sickness. I decided I was okay and started checking out the area once again. I then found an entrance to a bell tower, almost completely covered with sand, that led down under the desert of the wastes.

2. xento

xento New Member

I entered the catacombs to be greeted by utter darkness. I rumaged blindly in my bag for my electric light. After a minute or two, I found it. I was awe-struck when I turned on the electric light. It appeared to be a huge cave with many buildings made of the same greenish metal that the towers above me where composed of. They were layed out in such a way that it appeared to be a city of some kind. I quickly set up camp and began wandering around the city taking pictures, jotting notes, and studying schematics, newspapers, books, notes, and other objects that I found in chests and cabinets. In total, I found a dozen schematics, one and a half dozen notes, half a dozen books, three and a half dozen newspapers, and three dozen strange objects in the city that streched out before me. I also found a few coins stamped with the sign of the All Father. After searching the place for a few hours, I began feeling somewhat drowsy. I glanced at my pocket watch and found that it was past eleven o' clock at night. I turned my electric light to dim and settled in my small tent for the night. I was suddenly awaken by some noise outside my tent. It sounded like something rummaging through my pack. I grabbed my electric light and stepped outside my tent to find another strange creature rumaging it's sharp claws through my pack. I shouted out at it and it turned it's woman-like head toward me. I was suddenly frozen with fright until I saw what it had it it's claws. "Give me that!" I yelled at it and grabbed my mirthril ring from it's claws and shoved it deep into my pocket. Probably not a very good idea. It became frightfully angry and attacked me. I reached in my bag for my Vendigroth gun I had constructed. With amazing speed, the creature stabbed me in the neck with it's claws. I had already decided that the claws were poisonous and made a mental note to treat the wound. I fumbed through my bag with my spare hand while trying to pull the creature's claws off my neck. The creature suddenly threw me to the side with amazing strength. The last thing I remember was seeing a rock comming closer and closer.....

I awoke to find myself tangled in a sticky web. I couldnt tell how long it had been since I was knocked out, but I felt like it was at least a day or two. It was too dark to see, for I had dropped my gun and the electric light when the creature threw me. I suddenly saw a pair of red eyes staring at me and began to feel the creatures claws clamping around my neck once again. I knew from the way it was twisting that it was trying to break my neck. I decided to play dead. I let my body go limp and the creature stopped digging it's claws into my neck and began to pull me from the web. As soon as I was off the web, I threw a kick at the glowing red eyes and hit something hard. there was a great cry of pain from the creature as it let go to tend to it's eye. I fell about three feet and landed in a pile of bones. I had no idea what to do. I couldnt see anything at all. I began to fumble with the bones and felt something...... A box? Yes, a box..... A small cardboard box..... A small cardboard box with small sticks in it. I couldnt believe my luck. Fumbling around a little more, I found a rough, flat rock. I quickly pulled a match out of the box and lit it on the rock. I could see the creature about ten feet away nursing it's eye. I figured I had a moment or two before it began to come after me again. I looked at the pile of bones once again. There were two skeletons lying there with their clothes shredded and lying all over the place. By now, I was on my third match and I decided I needed a torch. I searched in the pockets of the skeleton's shredded clothes and found what seemed to be some kind of cream. "Now what good will cooking cream do me?" I thought. Suddenly, I noticed the label. I was able to read the word FLAMMIBLE before my match went out. I suddenly had an idea. I grabbed what looked like an arm bone from one of the skeletons and rubbed the cream all over the end. I then took my seventh match and lit the cream. The cream burned very slowly on the bone and created a makeshift torch. By then, the creature began to lumber after me once again. I quickly checked my surroundings. To my front, just barely visible in the light, was what looked to be an altar to the All Father, Velorien. I remembered reading in one of the books I found in the city near my camp about offerings to Velorien. It mentioned that if the correct ceremony hadent been fullfulled, anything that stepped on the altar would die immediatly. Running toward the altar, I hoped that the spider-woman would step on it and I also hoped it hadnt fullfilled the ceremony. I jumped up and grabbed on to a large, metal object that jutted out above the altar. My feet dangled about three feet from the altar as I hoped silently that the creature would walk onto the altar. The creature lunged at me.... and missed, landing on the altar and dropping dead the second it hit. I let out a sigh of relief and began to swing from side to side to get enough momentum to jump off without touching the altar. My hand slipped and to my horror, I went falling down onto the altar.... and landed on the soft body of the dead creature. I got up and jumped off the body onto the solid ground and let out a sigh of relief. My torch had dropped on the floor when I was hanging above the altar and was almost out. I grabbed the cream, the matches, and the bone and started up the torch again. I then shoved the matches and the cream into my pocket and glanced at my surroundings. it was a part of the city I hadnt been in. It was mainly a large cave with two Vendigroth-made walls. One wall was bare except for an air vent, but the other wall looked like it was part of a building. There was a door that led inside so I decided to enter and see what was inside.....

I entered to find myself in a long hallway lit by dim lights that gave off a faint greenish-yellow glow. I held my torch for awhile until the cream burned off and then I shoved it into my back pocket. While walking down the isle, there were doors to my left and to my right. I opened the left door and saw a strange sleek cone-shaped object with a flat, long piece of metal comming out of each side. On the tip of the cone was what appeared to be some kind of propellar. I noticed a pannel on the side of it open and saw a few gears and springs and a wire or two dangling inside of the strange object. There were many more gears and tools lying on the ground around the object. I exited the room and entered the room to the right. It appeared to be some kind of carrage made of metal with a rounded top, but there were no areas on it where a mule or horse could have possibly been harnessed to pull it. I found some tools and gears on the floor in that room as well. Almost like these strange devices were unfinished..... I exited the room and entered the hallway once again. I walked down it for awhile and then came to a room that appeared to be a library. I entered it and found an open book on the table with a picture of the cone-shaped object on one side and the strange carrage on the other. Under the cone-shaped object's picture was, in big bold lettering, the legend AREOPLANE. A sudden image of Maxim's flying machines popped into my head, but I pushed it away and dismissed it as a foolish thought. The legend under the horseless carrage said AUTOMOBILE. I pondered the use of this machine, but the reason for it's construction was beyond me, so I left the library and continued down the hall. After awhile, I saw a red light shining up ahead. I stood still to see what it was, but it began to come closer. Suddenly, a huge machine that resembled an automaton stepped into the light. I stared at it for a moment. It was almost identical to an automaton, except for it was made of green metal. "Please state your buisness." it asked gruffly. For a moment, I was too shocked to speak, and then I decided to tell it. "I am Nicholas, expert of Vendigroth, and award-winning inventor. I am here to search the Vendigroth wastes for the remains of it's once great technology and maybe find the reason that Vendigroth was destroyed." I stated boldly. "You are in the Vendigroth Technology Center." the machine replied. "I am the guarder of Vendigroth's secrets of technology." it went on to say. "Well, so sorry for bothering you." I replied. "Please leave this place immediatly." it asked, rather politely. I turned to go but, suddenly I felt a pain around where that creature had cut my neck with it's claws. I remembered that I hadn't treated the cut, and suddenly I stiffened up and couldnt move. "Please leave now!" the machine demanded angrily. "I.... cant." I tried to choke out, but it came out as a squeak. "I will attack you if you dont leave in 5 seconds." he warned. "5.... 4..... 3..... 2...... 1...... zero. You were warned." Suddenly the machine began to attack. It raised it's hinged arm and, for the first time, I noticed a razor-sharp blade attached to the end. Obviously he wanted to slice my head off. Then, for some reason, the poison wore off and I began to feel normal. I searched in my pockets for something to throw at the machine. I heaved the matches and the cream at him. It bounced harmlessly off his visible gears. I then threw the bone, hoping to clog his gears. The bone got stuck in the gears as the machine suddenly went stiff. I gave a yelp of joy and got up.... just in time to see the gears saw the bone in half. The machine once again took aim at my neck while the threw the only other thing I had at him, my mirthril ring. The ring flew and got caught in the gears similar to how the bone got caught. Expecting for the ring to bend or be ripped in half, I braced myself, too scared to run. After almost half a minute of silence and stillness, I began to smell something burning. I looked up and saw smoke comming from the insides of the machine. Suddenly a voice broke the silence: "Engine overheating... initiating Emergency Cooling System." I remembered that mirthril was highly prized for it's lightness, value, and strength. Mirthril was even stronger then the hardest steel or iron. My thoughts were broken into by the voice of the machine once again: "Emergancy Cooling System failure...... Engine pressure reaching critical levels..... Please clear the area." By now, I could hear the pinging as bolts and screws shot out of their sockets as the boiler pressure ripped the machine apart. I suddenly realized I had better take the warning's advice. I turned and sprinted out of the building. I ran out into the street with the machine lumbering after me. I couldnt see with no torch... but suddenly, there was a huge explosion and a burst of light.... I found the vent on the other wall and ran to it. Once I reached it, I threw a quick look over my shoulder at the burning melted mass of metal. I jumped into the vent and followed it until I came out the other side. I came out into darkness. I was wondering what to do when I put my hand in my pocket.... and felt three matches that had falled out of the box. I grabbed one and lit it. I found myself in a house that I knew. It was one of the houses I had searched for newspapers and other stuff. I exited it into the same street that led to my camp. I followed the street in darkness, saving my last two matches. Sure enough, within a few minutes, I tripped over something. I lit a match to see what it was. It was my camp! I grabbed the electric light from the floor and lit it. I quickly packed a few essential, usefull, and important items and left the Vendigroth catacombs. I soon came out into the hot waste sun. Call me crazy, but I was glad for it. I then walked to Ashberry where I got on my ship and sailed home. As I speak, I am in Caladon, sitting in front of my desk. My discoveries have made me richer then Gilbert Bates himself. I still got to keep my trusty Vendigroth gun I constructed. My life is back to normal now. I have gone down in history. Ouch! What's this? My wound! The pain! ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

3. Dagorian

Dagorian New Member

I saw a dwarf running towards us. He waved his axe like he were attacking. I took my sword and waited for dwarf to come. Others were getting ready for battle. "I can handle this", I said. Others didn't look so sure. As the dwarf came closer it seemed he were attacking the orc. I directed my blow to dwarf's axe. It flew to feets of another dwarf, who held his gun ready. I easily lifted the dwarf. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

4. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

[ooc/]Hey this sounds like a good story i think i will join in
    Character: Omnius Malus, Elf, age 162, wearing blue cloak and carrying a staff, various spells in Force, the Necros, Mental, Conveyance[/ooc]

I had been traveling for many days. After leaving my home of Qintara i traveled by foot through the Glimmering Forest and Haradin's pass to Stillwater. What a quaint little town it was! after doing various quests for people I decided to go to the bar for news then leave. It was there that i first heard of Vendigroth and the legonds surrounding it.

After 3 weeks of traveling yet again on foot(how else would i see the sights?) I came upon an enormous structure of green metal that spanned the river in front of me. "The people of Vendigroth must have been an incredible race" I said as I passed over the bridge. Later that day as i traveled through the desert i came upon a group of people all moving around, "I wonder whats going on over there?" I asked myself. I decided to hurry up a bit and just use spatial distortion to get there immedietly. As the engery feild faded I saw them looking at me in a way that suggested that this had been an eventful day for them too.

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hate to say it, buddy, but this thread is dead. The last time someone posted in it (before you) was the 24th of June.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

[ooc] Oh well, lets see if we can bring it back, it would be good i think [ooc]

I crouched next to a huge green steel wall stickin up out of the desert. It blocked most of the sand from blowin onto me. I had come here to see if i could find anything worth much and also just because i like a good adventure and i had been so many places in Arcanum I had trouble finding a new experience, but i had not gone underground yet even though i had found an entrance. Off in the distance, out from under my hood i saw a group of people milling about. I couldn't quite tell what was goin on, but from the wall of fire i had seen earlier, i figured i would stay here until they approached and stay hidden for a bit and see if it should be safe to talk to them. I had no doubts that i could stay out of sight until i decided, and if they appeared to be a danger to me i could sneak away without them noticing me.

Our Host!