uncustomizable PC?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by zioburosky13, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

3. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I just wan't to add another thing.

I rest my case.

Where do I send the Nukes, just give me to coordinates.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

The bad AI is a thing, but the scrolling isn't at all horrible. Use the fucking cursor keys. Inventory management is actually the best I've seen so far.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've never been bothered by Arcanum's scrolling, and I've always used the mouse.

6. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 New Member

About the Half-orge conspiracy, isn't that quest doesn't has a solid ending? (Except *SPOILER*

you can sell the journal to the 'Tarantian reporter'..) :-?

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Yeah, the conspiracy doesn't have an ending that idiot expected. There IS a reason why it's called conspiracy :)

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

If he lacks the will to pick the kid up and throw him out a window for even looking at the exterior wall of the room containing his Arcanum CD's then its no wonder he gets upset that there isn't a perfect ending for every quest.

9. grandaddy

grandaddy New Member

some people in this mad mad world have no respect for decent games like arcanum and they should be fed into a meat grinder and be made into cat food

10. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

11. Slaughter

Slaughter New Member

True.

12. SpiritWarrior

SpiritWarrior New Member

Oh man. As far as the customizability of Arcanum goes, it ain't that bad. I bust out with the character portrait and just *imagine* that that's my dude down there. Yes, it's a little bit of extra work imagining, but I'm a gamer, and lazy, with plenty of extra energy to spare. However, I would love to see some RPG-like game in the future with customizability that matters. I mean, twiddling the arm length so you get more strength out of it at the cost of dexterity and range of motion. Or even throwing on extra arms, meaning you can use more weapons, but due to the increased amount of attention coordinating the extra limbs, you have significantly reduced firing speed. Or two-segment legs (like humans) saving fatigue points with it's energy-conserving motion, or three-segmented legs (like a dog or a cat's hind legs) giving increased leaping ability and speed. That's the sort of customizability that would be fun. "Oh look my dwarf has bubble-gum pink hair, somehow that adds to the depth of gameplay and enjoyment I derive thereof!!" is just lame.

As far as being buggy and such, I only ever stumbled upon really annoying bugs at about level 40, which was easily solved by installing the patch. This guy should get out more.

13. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

14. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Isn't that what Spore is (was?) going to be like? Not that it's an RPG, but it that part of it sounds very interesting, if it works as your idea.

I don't understand exactly what you mean here, does the extra "depth" exist only in the mind of the stupid player, or does the pink hair affect the NPCs in the game so they react differently? In the first case I agree that it's stupid, but the second is describing the kind of customization I want (and you too from your leg example, it seems).

Quoting a post without adding anything is bad.

Our Host!