Trying a Magic/Technology character

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by igotsmeakabob!!, Jul 10, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If you have based your character on a sufficiently good power build (and gods know that that isn't hard to accomplish in Arcanum) parties are basically there for banter and amusing conversation, not combat prowess. For example, any elven mage with a competent selection of spells will rip anything apart by level 15 at the latest.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If followers were there for the fighting rather than amusement, people such as Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe would never have a chance to join in. Shield of Force, Agility of Fire, Body of Fire and Summon Fire Elemental simultaneously, plus a few Fireflashes, only to pass out after a few second? Seriously, Geoffrey? I swear, the brains of the peasantry.

3. igotsmeakabob!!

igotsmeakabob!! New Member

4. shupbeav

shupbeav New Member

Well as mentioned the party has to compliment the character. Also with a magical character you can be pretty much stand alone. Depending on when you attempt it the master's challenge at Tulla can be tricky. You have to be sure to bring some potions with you, fatigue can go fast. With a party however I only needed potions when traveling alone. A tech character is someone who will definitely need some help while starting out. It would also depend I guess on the persons knowledge of the gameplay. What I spoke of before was an example of my first time playing the game. I did notice while playing that once someone gets a decent size party your character is almost not needed for battle. I usually never got a chance to lay in anything before my party would take care of them. Especially if you get the dog, probably the best party member. Doesn't bother you and becomes a master in melee gets really good at dodge and attains max strength. Requires no weapons or equipment and once leveled up can take care of most enemies with little help. Also with the version I originally played with it was as Drog said Virgil did learn resurrect. He saved me my first time through when I wondered onto the alter in Vendigroth and my character fell dead. That was actually when I first realized Virgil had learned it. Gave me quite the scare.

Also a battle ready party allows you to create the character you would like even if they aren't practical for a fight.

5. igotsmeakabob!!

These are the schools to focus on as a technomancer?
    I would have thought that the white necromancy stuff would depend on your magickal aptitude.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Minor Healing restores 7 HP when cast by a zero aptitude character and 30 HP when cast by a 100 MA character so yes, White Necromancy is aptitude-dependable.

I'd say playing a technomancer is the perfect opportunity for trying out the Healing skill, especially if one has not done so already in his previous games.

7. igotsmeakabob!!

8. BaptismByAcid

BaptismByAcid New Member

I started a similar character. A female half-orc gunslinger (plus Miracle Operation) with a bit of electrical and the teleport spells. At least that's my plan, as this is my very first playthrough.

Our Host!