Traversing the Mountains

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Leonidus, Dec 4, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

At the lowest portion of the western mountains, Razor's Point, the mountains protrude into the ocean, preventing the possibility of using the coastline to cross from the Cumbrian Kingdom (the Durnholme area and whatnot) into the Caladonian region of Arcanum. This makes one believe that the gods probably set a similar design upon the northern mountain range, the Grey Mountains.

Lay this fear to rest, dear traveller, for they did not, and one can surely use the coastline at the northeast to make the long trek to the northern plains. However, it should be noted that though one can walk continously, a direct route cannot be set by map due to the jagged encroachment of mountains towards the coast. Due to this, it would take a considerable time to manually make the journey.

And yet, there is some solution. Once the coast is reached, it can be seen that there is not simply a meager space between the ocean and the mountains, but rather there is at least some decent distance of passable land between. This land snakes back and forth at the whims of the coastline and mountain range however, so no direct or easy map route can be made. If you were to continuously set a series of small routes, painstakingly noting the required adjustment slightly northeast or northwest (or sometimes even directly north), then the sojourn can indeed be set upon your trusty map. Take note that this cannot be done all in one fell swoop my good man. One must take each new waypoint individually, travelling and then starting a new minute path to undertake, inching your way to victory over these unyielding mountains. In particular, once one reaches the vicinity of 520W and 588S, you are 'home free' as they say, and a longer path along the coast and up into the uncharted lands can be made all at once.

On a similar note, travelling by means of map seems to have a unique idiosynchrasy: when one is about to reach a location quite near a known destination, your party seems compelled to go directly to the known destination. In this way it is possible to reach some places with only travelling extremely proximal to them, such as let's say, from Caladonia to Razor's Point. This effectively allows the travel by land to Durnholme or Blackroot or what have you from the western side of the Stonewall Range.

Good luck and godspeed!

2. Constipation

Constipation New Member

I guess this is the point where people should say:

"Um, what is your point, though?"

And then you say:

"Oh, nothing in particular dear gents, I just wanted an original way to appear on this forum."

And they are all:

"Oh, how random and yet so Arcanumish at the same time, welcome to the forum, esteemed sir!"

And you are all:

"Why thank you, I am nothing but pleased to be here with you + happy that my efforts have been appreciated!"

And they:

"Yes! :)"

And you:

"Yes!! =D"

And they:

"YES!!! :333"

And you:

"Warghalabghlagh. \O__o/"

So yeah, hi.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Leonidus!

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Can someone tell me if that's a huge spam post or not? My head hurts and I can't be bothered to read it.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The post is legitimate, DarkFool.

Welcome, Leonidus. Thanks for sharing your data, I for one will use this.

Our Host!