Transportation for Techies

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by DrStrangelove, Jun 23, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove New Member

I've seen a lot of talk about some kind of tech counterbalance for the transportation spell. So far i've seen everything ranging from something Maxim's planes or a zepplin, to the rediculously modern (harrier jets).

Planes and zepplins have been done in my opinion, and if you want to have something interesting and still stay in the reletively primitive time period, how about a Gryocopter?

They've got character, are unusual, and still can use reletively versitile landing sites.
    Plus i think you could do a lot to make one look neat, and they would be simple enough to build without making the design too too unrealisitc for the time period.

2. twitchy6181

twitchy6181 New Member

I think the gyro-copter idea is a good one, a harrier jet would be just plain ridiculous! I think that just adding the option of being able to purchase a horse as a quicker way of land travel would be pretty cool!

3. gargob

gargob New Member

I think it would be nice to have an expansion of the subway in Tarant.

4. -WhiteDog-

-WhiteDog- New Member

If one should be able to buy horses, I recomend giving them som packing-bags.

5. Sketch

Sketch New Member

Man I reckon they should have A larger mechanized aracnid that you can build, and then ride, and be able to buy a skematic that upgrades it with saddle bag's and machine guns. :D

6. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Even better: Mecahnical Horses. Remember that end-game slide where there's a techie dude with a Marksman Rifle riding some Mechanical Horse. Now THAT was COOL.

7. Sketch

Sketch New Member

Nah the spider would look more insane, or better yet an elephant......

8. backstabber

backstabber New Member

wooden mechanical horses were created in china 2000 yrs ago.

9. Digital_Falcon

Digital_Falcon New Member

I think if you just want to get to areas faster, you could rent/buy a horse, and if you wanted to carry lots of items in it you could buy a buggy to go with it.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Hi there, welcome to the forum :peace:

I just want to inform you: in the future, don't gravedig (ie, don't reply to old posts). People don't generally like that. Watch out for Chalupa Cobra...

Just stick to that rule (and obvious ones, like no spamming) and you'll be OK.

11. Antoninus

Antoninus New Member

True, but they arent real handy. My idea would be to have something like a device that transforms you into a light particle or a lightning bolt and zaps you to different locations

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, a gyrocopter would be more fit to the setting, such Star Trek technology is a bit beyond Arcanum's level.

The only reason for using transportation beams would be to have Arcanum placed in the future. Could be quite a controversy that - in the original game we have an industrial revolution in a world of magick, whereas in the sequel we could have a magick revolution in a world of technology.

Seems a bit like Final Fantasy III that... what about an Arcanum were Magick is long forgotten, were the elves have had to evolve to "regular" beings and the great city of Tulla is an unknown ruin (and Vendigroth the largest city in the world...)

Then some Vendigrothian scientists discover a magickal artifact and start experementing with it... could turn into an interesting scenario really...

13. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

I like the Gyro idea. You could make it look all retro-tech and maybe you have to do a few quests to get various parts to build one to make it go (a/la fallout 2 and the car). It could even be similar to said game (hopefully without breaking copyright) and have a 'boot' where you could put stuff. Each town or location would have a helipad/field/etc where you could land.

I can certainly imagine some interesting story arcs for that, but it takes away the best bit about being a tech guy, that is being attacked on the ground as you travel to and fro, and racking up all that wonderful XP!

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

a la wild wild west? no thank you!

15. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

why not just have a portal like the one the BMC built in the void?

Our Host!