TOEE GONE GOLD .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Sep 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Flink

Flink New Member

I'm not sure I'd call Worms a masterpiece. Its a very simple concept thats been done many times before. Heck, back in the day there was even a simple game called Gorilla that came with QBaisc which had most of the elements of Worms. Not to mention it being done on the C64 and Amigas before PC's became popular.

As for your argument that simple battles will take as long as 10 minutes, I'm just going to say that that is just silly. A simple battle in Arcanum doesn't take much longer then one does in BG. If a level 20 character meets a few wolves in Arcanum he'll be able to tackle them in a matter of seconds as well. (unless that character has very poor combat skills.)

2. Settler

Settler Member

Mmmm...the Worms series is brilliant (especially if you have the Fiddler), one of my favourite series...but if by 'that new worms game' you mean Worms Blast, FOR THE SAKE OF GLORIOUS AND MERCIFUL ALLAH, DON'T BUY IT! Think Bubble Bobble, or whatever it's called, with the Worms franchise. It's not a Worms game.

If you mean the old new Worms game, World Party, then by all means, buy.

I'm off to check the Worms 3D* page...

[edit]*Oh...right...

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

ok first of all, the worms game was the first of its kind to pull it off with humor and charm, and the fact that there were about 4000 different maps added to replayability. me and my buds used to spend hours having "worms parties" where we'd basically have a sleep over and start playing multiplayer worms all night (up to 16 people on the same computer i might add, which was cool(even though with us it was usually 3-5)).

as for the whole 10 minutes for simple battles thing, i was talking about Fallout 2, some of those battles take forever. Now that you mention arcanum, however, how about those friggin repeated random encouters, with the malokian hand members, or the orc raiders. Those i always do in real time, because turn based just takes way to long, and the repetition is really annoying. After about level 12 it just gets to the point where you'd think you'd killed them all off, but they just keep coming, and i really hate when they run away, and you hafta waste time running them down.

(and wouldnt it be great if you had the option to just convert all of their stuff to gold right away so you didnt have to lug their garbage around with you until you had the opportunity to sell it?)

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yeah, the original worms was a masterpiece... I can still remember when me and my pals used to rent a Playstation over the weekend and play Worms like mad... oh, those were the days.

I can guarantee Sleek, that easy battles won't take 10 minutes to finish off in ToEE. A raging half-orc barbarian with the Great Cleave feat could easily drop 15 goblins in a round or two. And as for maximized fireballs... :roll:

Honestly Sleek, you can't be serious about this one. "Convert all stuff to gold"... Just a really big

NO!

for that one.

5. Flink

Flink New Member

I guess people enjoy different types of games. I for one never found Worms to be that exciting or innovative. As I said earler, I had seen most of it before. But I respect your opinion.

The random encounters that aren't very random have very little to do with the game being real-time or turn-based though... I remember BG1 having random encounters up the wazoo. I particularly remember one with 2 Wyverns, some spiders and an ettercap or two. *shudders*

I guess these battles would have taken a tad longer had they been in TB. But the having this added strategic/tactical ability in other parts of the game would be worth it in my opinion.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i didnt mean that the game SHOULDNT have random encounters, but i've only encountered about 4 of them so far, and they take too long when turn based, and when you're on your way to fullfill a quest requirement it can be a real pace breaker.

Our Host!