Throwing Dagger

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by TONGSyaBASS, Oct 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Does the throwing dagger work?

I was making a poisoned throwing dagger and when I tested it out it didn't work. So I went back and tested the original throwing dagger and it doesn't seem to work.
    I put it in the weapon slot. It gets thrown. It hits the critter.
    No damage is done and it ends up lying at the critter's feet.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I haven't actually used then but I have lost health when that guy in the Tarant bar started throwing them at me. But that may have just been because he was throwing something at me rather than weapon specific damage.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I made a character who specialized in throwing (explosives and other such things) but I never really touched the dagger when I wasn't using explosives because things like boomerangs and chakrums just come back without having to pick up shit all the time.

However, I've had some of my followers pick them up and use them mid-battle (another annoying thing) and Sogg was able to connect once or twice in a freak accident. However, the damage was quite small. Could have been just bad luck, but I recall being surprised that the damage wasn't higher based on the knife's stats and the lack of armor on the stupid rat he was throwing it at.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I've investigated this further and they appear severely broken.
    I think I know why but it's mainly a theory.
    When you throw a boomerang or chakram the item remains in your inventory. The image you see is just an animation. The 'real' item never leaves the character.
    However with the throwing dagger the item in the inventory disappears. When the animation reaches the target the item then appears on the ground next to the target. I think the dagger does not do any damage because it ceases to exist when the attack happens so the 'damage scripts' aren't anchored to anything.
    I've fudged a solution to this. Now I can turn the Molochean Hand Dangerous Looking Man into the assassin he should be, with throwing daggers of paralysis.

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That sounds really cool, Tongs.

Our Host!