Thieves Underground

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by floyd, Aug 18, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. floyd

floyd New Member

I need to know how I can get an introduction to the Thieves Underground...
    See: I killed Lukan the Witless and now the guy in Tarant doesn't even want to talk to me...
    How do I get introduced? Whom do I talk to?

Also this:

-> if I dump, say, Virgil somewhere and don't return soon enough to pick him up, where will he show up again? do the npc's return to the place where you once picked them up or what?

-> do the flowers (kadura and so on) grow back after a period of time or are they gone for good?

-> what's the best npc for a techie? i got Jayna and Virgil.

-> if you find a schematic or you buy one, but you can't make it, is it sufficient to buy a bunch of manuals to make it or do i have to learn a sufficient amount of schematics in a certain school for that?

2. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

-> if your persuasion is high enough I think you can talk directly to the shady guys at street corners for jobs. In Tarant, you can also talk to Mr. Black if your persuasion is high enough.

->Normally that is what happens alright...in virgil's case I think he may return to the crash site (pre-Zen mode)

->yes I think they do

-> Jayna, otherwise when your Tech meter becomes high enough, Virgil will constantly cast healing spellss which will just fizzle which wastes fatigue and annoys the hell......Take Jayna and stock her up with bandages.

->Manuals will add levels to a certain discipline...I just dunno if you can accumulate TWO manuals of the same type...

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I don't think the flowers grow back.

4. floyd

floyd New Member

I've already found out how to get introduced to the Thieves Underground: doing the Pettibone quest.
    I tried talking directly to Mr Black, Thaddeus Mynor or any of the guys on the street, but that didn't work for me.
    Doing the Pettibone quest and then talking to one of the guys on the street worked fine though.
    Which makes me wonder: are Lukan the Witless and the Pettibone quest (Elven ruins) the only things that get you an introduction?

Also found out that flowers don't regenerate. Which kind of surprised me since it was a feature implemented in Fallout 2, and since it seems pretty logical to me that flowers would grow back after a period of time (or at least new flowers would pop up in the same field). Ah well...

Jayna rocks! And so does the dog.

This leaves:

-> where do npcs go when you tell them to leave? And can you get them to join you again?

-> do you really need to be so goddamn educated to be able to build found schematics or can you just stock up on manuals to get the expertise?

I was planning on going solo this time, but the story doesn't seem to make an awful lot of sense when you ditch Virgil in the early game. Also: going solo is imo a lot harder to do when you play a tech character. Jayna is packing tons of herbs and healing potions and what else, and if I were to go solo, I'd need to learn those things as well and drag them along by myself, which would get me encumbered.
    Prowl and backstab would be nice as well for a loner.
    But a lonely mage warrior seems easier to play, imo. Just having to learn three spells beats having to learn three schematics and having to drag all those ingredients along with you.

-> what do you think you really need when you plan to go solo?

-> the manual says half-ogres can't use certain technological objects. Does that include lockpicks?

-> how many points would you need to invest in melee and dodge when you plan on following the backstab + prowl route? And at what level does the backstab + prowl combo become effective in combat?

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Usually back where you've first met them.

Yup.

Found schematics? Manuals is enough. But you can't "find" the schematics from your tech tree.

I'd go for melee+backstab+prowling+lock picking if tech, throwing+prowling+pick pocket+ minor combat spells like AoF and Haste (don't go for fatigue consuming spells like Disintegrate, if you happen to faint during combat there's no one to watch your back ;)

No, only pistols.

The more the better?

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Sometimes an NPC will totally disappear if you tell them to leave, but they will usually go back where you found them.

In my experience, half-ogres do have a little more difficulty using lock picks, but they can use them after you get your dexterity and pick lock skill high enough.

If you play a small character, you might want to try throwing rather than melee because you are going to get beat up a lot otherwise. Just be sure to hit them before they get close to you so they have to use up their points running toward you whenever possible. Still, small characters are best played with followers to back them up and you need to go with charisma and persuasion then.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

What do you mean by "small" characters? Dwarves are sure as hell good melee fighters...

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I had a halfling warrior once with 20 strength and armed with an Arcane Great Sword. He was actually one of my better melee type characters.

I didn't give him a shield though, it was amusing to watch him swing a sword 3 times his height in combat.

Our Host!