The Tomb of Coritonius

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Snowmane, May 23, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

[OOC]I know that The Great Adventure is running right now, but it's a little slow, so I'm making a different one entirely. Join if you'd like, but please do a little blurb about your character first!

Name: Honor Brighteyes (No last name, it was given to her by thieves.)

Race: Human

Backround: Honor was abandoned by as a child, and raised by the thieves, where she was taught all that she needed to survive. Most people find it ironic that her name is Honor, but the thieves found a ring on a chain around her neck that had “Honor” engraved on it, so they named her that. They stole the chain, but gave her the ring, which she never removes from her left middle finger.

Description: Slim, about 5’5 in height, with dark brown hair that brushes just below her shoulders. Pretty nondescript, except for her vibrant blue eyes. She was given the nickname/last name Brighteyes after her bright azure eyes, which are fringed by thick black lashes. She has a long scar running up her arm from being caught while attempting to pickpocket some one years before.

Honor is charming and vivacious usually, but is a skilled thief who can quietly blend in: against walls, and in crowds. She usually wears soft leather boots, an ill fitting white shirt, a light colored cotton skirt that falls to her knees, and dark leggings under it. Honor carries a thin blade, strapped on her ankle that tucks into her boot. She also carries her weighted dice everywhere with her. She is a highly skilled pickpocket and lock pick, handy with her dagger, and an accomplished flirt. Other than that, she is untrained, not very strong, and although she is intelligent, not educated.

Whew! That was a lot more than I planned! [/OOC]

I ran through the dark all, clutching the grimy piece of paper to my chest. I’d won it fair and square in the dice game! Well, actually, I’d used my weighted dice, so I guess I hadn’t won it fair and square. The point was, I needed to get away before the irate sailors caught me. Right after I’d won the game, one of the had grabbed my wrist, and taken my dice. He’d then screamed, “They’re weighted!” and gathering the two die very quickly, I’d been forced to flee.

I wondered what the map was to though. All the sailor had said was that it lead to a great treasure. Whatever that was, I planned to get it. I wasn’t going to be a thief forever, I’d promised myself that long ago. However, I didn’t dare stop to look at the map. I’d look at it later. Well, I’d need some help with it. Although I was very ashamed to admit it, I couldn’t read very well. One of the literate thieves in the Tarant Thieves Underground was helping me. He said that I was smart, but I was lazy too. I’d show him! I told myself that I would read the paper, then get the treasure. And live happily ever after. Heh. I don't believe in fairy tales. Not anymore.

2. Flink

Flink New Member

[OOC]

Name: Professor Donald Smythe

Race: Gnome

Background:
    Donald Smythe is a born and raised city-gnome. He enjoys the comforts that the city has to offer and likes nothing better then sitting in front of his big fireplace smoking a pipe and reading a good book. Nevertheless his gnomish love for nature and adventure is far from dead. In his youth he spent a lot of his time at museums and librarys, facinated by the millions of stories they could tell about the world of Arcanum. After many years of studining at some of Arcanums finest universities, Donald managed to become a professor in his two favorite fields; archeology and geography. Spending nearly 200 years teaching at the University of Caladon, There are probably few men (or women) that know as much about the history and geography of the world of Arcanum. About 40 years ago, Professor Smythe was asked to become the curator of Tarants History Museum. A position he enjoys and leaves him plenty of free time to study his own personal projects...

Description:
    Professor Smythe is old, even for a gnome. In his youth he was pretty strong and athletic, But many years of the good life has made him somewhat plump and stocky. He's about avarage height for a gnome, But here again age has taken its toll. He used to be a bit taller. He's got grey hair and a grey beard. Both of which he keeps well groomed altho the hair on his head has become quite thin, he hides this by combing the hair that remains over his bald spot. He's rarely seen wearing anything other than a brown suit, a suit probably older then most men. The jacket has leather patches on the elbows and the vest is starting to become a bit crampt as the gnome's belly has grown a bit in the last 50 years. Never the less, he looks quite distinguished.
    Professor Smythe is a very calm man. He enjoys a good laugh and has a lot of elderly wisdom. His age has however made him a little forgetfull.

As for weapons, The professor has little skill. He usually keeps a small derringer pistol in his coat pocket for self protection. But its rarley been fired. In his youth he was quite adept with a sling. But he hasn't used one for more then a hundred years.
    [/OOC]

"Hmmmmm..." I said to myself as I turned the page of the old tome. Stopping only to adjust my monocle. "Facinating..." It seemed as if my theories on the history of pre-historic orc's might be right after all! I stopped again to take a measurement of one of the eye-sockets of a fossilized orc skull that I had sitting on the table. "Yes..." I scribbled down the measurements in my notebook and then compared them to the ones in the tome. Hmmm... Maybe not... I sighed, This was going to be a long night. I'd better go put the kettle on.

I made my way to the museum pantry and lit the gas-powered stove with my pipe. Just as the flash of the lighting of the stove subsided, I saw a young girl running past the museum through the window. "Young people today... always in a hurry..." I thought as I put the kettle on the stove...

3. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

[ooc]
    Name:Talon Knight

Race:Human

Background:The youngest son in a fairly well-to-do family in Caladon, he never really took to the nobles there in the city. He always felt to restrained by etiquette. At age 18 he took off to do some adventuring. Through training and experience he became adept with melee weapons, but he never showed interest in experimenting with magic or technology. Though he only meant to be gone a few months he ended up traveling for several years. After he turned 23 he decided to return to Caladon and settle down. When he returned, his family had disowned him. Distraught he couldn't make himself stay in the same town with a family that hated him. He took the first boat to Tarant to try and find a place there. As he walked down to the dock, he saw a woman being chased by sailors...

Description: About 6'3 and slim with black hair and brown eyes. Farely well muscled but not huge. When adventuring he uses studded leather that he found on a bandit soon after leaving Caladon and brown breeches with a brownish green cloak over it all that blends in with most environments. In cities he wears black breeches with a loose fitting white shirt barely tucked in and unbuttoned at the collar. Whether adventuring or not, he always carries a shortsword at his waist that he found in a strange cave not long before he quit adventuring. When he took it to a wise woman to be identified. She had been mystified at the magics it used. She had no idea what exactly it did, but it never seemed to dull.
    [/ooc]

When I stepped off of the boat, the first thing I saw was a beautiful woman being chased by several sailors. Don't get involved Talon. Oh, who am I kiddin. Against my better judgement I pushed my pack farther up on my sholder and took off after the beautiful woman and the sailors.

4. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I leaned against a wall momentarily, panting a bit. They certainly want their grimy, stupid old map back! It must be good if they're trying to get it back from me so hard. I thought. I unclentched my fist, peering at the piece of paper. It was a map, just like they had said. I'd thought that they'd been lying, but they hadn't. There were smudges on ink on it, and it was clearly very old. I was so absorbed in reading it that I forgot about the sailors, who were probably still chasing me. But I didn't really care, as unwise as that is.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I ran down the street as fast as my long legs would carry me. Up ahead I saw the sailors close in around the woman. Apparently, she had run out of breath. Before anything rational could worm its way into my thoughts I tackled the group. I managed to knock two of their heads into the ground knocking them unconcsious. As I was getting up, one of the others kicked me in the gut and knocked me several feet away. Considering I didn't even know what this was all about I wasn't going to draw my sword on them unless the situation got desperate. It was quickly headin that way. OK, this is gonna be harder than I thouht, even if I do get my sword out, these guys look mad. Hope that girl can do something.

6. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

While I was catching my breath, the sailors caught up to me. Uh oh.... I thought. Then, this crazy man ran up, knocking aside the sailors! He obviously thought that he was rescuing me or something strange. The sailors threw him back, and he skidded on the cobblestones. Their attention was now focused on him. The sailors were even more angry at him than me! Excellent! I prepared to run, but a thought nagged at the back of my brain. I suppose I can't just leave him here.... even though it would be way easier for me too! I thought. I reached down to retrive the dagger from my boot. Holding it out of sight, I called out to the sailors. "Sirs! Excuse me, but it was me that you were playing dice with. Why bother killing him? I don't even know who he is."

The (extremely stupid) sailors turned back towards me, and that was all that I needed. I'd learned that if you take one out, the others will be less than willing to attack you. They all advanced towards me again, which is just what I'd hoped they'd do. I kicked out, getting one in his...um...vunreble spot. He groaned, doubling over, and I pushed my dagger against his throat. "If any of you move, except in that direction," I said in a threatening voice, and motioning to the dock, "I'll kill him." They shuffled for a bit, then left. I kicked the one that I had once more to be sure, then pulled my knife from his throat. "Now go!" He scampered off, not realizing that I'd been bluffing.

I stared at the young man for a minute, then shrugged. "No time to bask in the after glow," I said curtly, then turned and walked away.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Before I even had a chance to do anything else, the woman had made one of the sailors sing soprano and scared the others off with a threat to the one she had a hold of.

"No time to bask in the after glow," she said curtly, then proceeded to walk away. This got me pretty well angry.

"Whoa, now." I said as I caught up to her. "You may not have needed it, but I just tried rescue you! I deserve SOME sort of explanation!" On that note I jumped in front of her to block her way. Probably pretty stupid considering what she had done to that sailor, but I wanted some answers and I hadn't been thinking rationaly all night, why start now.

8. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

As I walked away, the guy who'd attempted (key word: attempted) to help me ran after me and caught up. "Whoa, now." He said. "You may not have needed it, but I just tried rescue you! I deserve SOME sort of explanation!"

I sneered at him, replying, "No, actually, you don't. That was my bussiness, and I had it under control." As I said this, I pushed past him, making for Tarant's History Museum. I knew that there was a proffesor there who could help me.

[OOC]Phoenix, I don't dislike you, she's just being nasty. :) [/OOC]

9. Flink

Flink New Member

*sqweeeeeeeeeek!!!!*

"Whuahat?!?!"

The sudden burst of sound that pierced the silence made me jump several feet in to the air. What on earth was that?!? I thought to myself as I ones again sat down at my desk. My heart was racing, this sort of thing isn't healthy for an old gnome... I could have had a heart attack! Who on earth would make such a sound at this time of nigh.... Of course! my tea!

Grumbling, I made myself over to the pantry where the kettle was screaming its lungs out. Not that it had any lungs, But you get my point. As I poured a nice large cup of tea I looked out the window to see if there was anything going on out there. It was kind of a nightly ritual for me. Normally I never saw anything of interest but tonight it looked as if there had been a fight. I saw a group of sailors, one of whom was limping and seemed to be groaning moving east, while two other less obvious persons where moving west. Towards the entrance of the museum. I hope they aren't burglars... Me being pretty much alone in here...

I returend to my seat and continued my studys, Despite being somewhat on edge. Partly because of the blasted kettle, and partly becuase of what had been going on outside...

10. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Her reply just made me angrier. If she had been a guy I would have hit her. When I told her as much she gave me a look that made me falter in my step. I just followed her for a couple of minutes after that to give myself some time to cool down before I said anything else, but I plan to find out what is goin on. Finally I said, "Listen, I just want to help. It is not like I am going to turn you over to those sailors. I think they like me about as much they do you now." I tried to keep my tone light even though I was still mad even if not as much so as earlier. Just hoping that maybe being nice will get her to open up. Of course, trying to save her seemed pretty nice and that sure didn't help. She seemed to be heading towards a museum up ahead though I had no idea why.

11. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

There I was, walking along, being trailed by this boy as if he were a puppy! I tried to ignore him, hoping that he would just leave, but it didn't seem to be working. Finally, he broke the silence, saying amicably, "Listen, I just want to help. It is not like I am going to turn you over to those sailors. I think they like me about as much they do you now."

I rolled my eyes, but he couldn't see that; he was staring at my back. I decided to try a different tactic. I turned around, displaying my best pout, and said, "Please sir, I'm going home to my sick grandfather, and I don't know what he'd think, with you following me and all." I smiled delicately, then reached into my pocket. Leaning closer to him, I continued, "It's been great knowing you, but I'm afraid that I must leave." I pulled out two coins, and pressed them into his (sweaty) palm. "Here's some money for your trouble. Go have fun at Madame Lil's. Bye!" With that, I set off briskly again; the doors to the museum were about 50 yards ahead, and I was determined to see Proffesor Symthe.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

What a cute pout, it almost worked.

"For one thing, I don't believe your grandfather lives in that museum up ahead. Two, I don't want your coin. And three, I'm new in Tarant; what is Madam Lil's?"

13. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

He said something, but I wasn't listening. At that point, I was sprinting towards the doors of the museum. I shouted back. "It's been divine! Bye now!" I threw myself at the doors, yanking one open. Before I knew it, I was in the cool, dark museum. "Proffesor Symthe?" I whispered in the dark hall.

14. Flink

Flink New Member

It seemed as if my suspicions had been correct. Just as I was finally getting back to my work I heard the heavy doors of the museum open with a loud creak that echoed throuh the dark, empty exhibition hall. I then heard something which altho it was only a whisper, was sufficiently amplified by the echo for this old gnomes ears to hear it loud and clear. Someone was calling my name...

Even tho it scared me, I also felt pretty curious. I quietly made my way out in to the corridor that led to the main exhibition hall. I ducked behind the corner and stuck my head out just enough to see the entrance. Altho my eyes arent what they used to be, I deduced that one of the two characters was a woman, probably a younger woman judging by her voice. The other person was larger, probably a human man.

Without moving from my somewhat safe hidning place I yelled:

"The museum is closed! Come back tomorrow and you will be more then welcome to see the exhibits! Leave now or I shall summon the guards!"

I just hoped that whoever they where wouldn't call my bluff, That I was the only person in the musem at the moment...

15. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

[ooc]Um, Flink, I wasn't in the museum yet :lol: . Oh well, we'll just assume I chased after her. And sorry if my guy is coming across as annoying he is just very hardheaded once he sets his mind on something. Trying to model his personalty after mine :) .[/ooc]

"The museum is closed! Come back tomorrow and you will be more then welcome to see the exhibits! Leave now or I shall summon the guards!", someone called out from the dark.

"You're grandfather, eh? Now listen, I want to find out what is goin on so you can either tell me or I can just follow you until I figure it out.", I said. I wasn't too worried about the man's threat. If there were guards they would have come at the sound of the doors being used.

16. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I heard an man shouting out that the museum was closed, and that if we didn't leave, he'd call the guards. I guessed that it was Professor Smythe, the gnome that I was looking for. I also knew that there weren't any guards, having been in the museum before to steal from it. Errr... I didn't go through with it though. I called out to him. "Professor Symthe, you barmy old coot! You're not intimidating anyone. I need to talk to you!" The urchin that I'd aquired piped up AGAIN.

"You're grandfather, eh? Now listen, I want to find out what is goin on so you can either tell me or I can just follow you until I figure it out." I wheeled around, annoying. "Why are you following me, you twit?! This is none of your concern! Go away!" I scowled at him, and so irked that I didn't care about his size, or strength. I stomped down hard on his toe. "The exit is that way!" I shouted, pointing towards the doors that we'd entered from.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

"ARG!", I yelped as i jumped up on one foot. I didn't care if I looked ridiculous, that hurt! I can't believe she actually did that! I hadn't had anyone do that to me since I was ten. Boy we must have been a sight for whoever that was in the museum. I actually laughed once I put my foot back down.

"I dive into a group of mad sailors and you plan on scaring me away by stomping on my toe? hy won't you just tell me what is goin on?", I said stubbornly. Then to the hidden man in the museum, "You can come out sir, I won't hurt ya but keep an eye on her."

18. Flink

Flink New Member

My curiosity got the better of me. How did that girl know my name? And why would someone come calling for me in the middle of the night unless it was important?
    The ensuring words of the larger character (and his very odd peace dance.) settled it. I had to know who these people where and why they wanted to see me.

I made my way in to the moon-lit center of the hall. Still keeping a hand on my pistol, just in case.

"I am Professor Smyte. Why have you come here and interrupted my work at this late hour?"

19. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I was pleased to see that obnoxious man yelp, but my joy didn't last too long. He seemed to recover quickly, then proceeded to make a snide remark. I rolled my eyes, then turned around. Professor Symthe had emerged from hiding.

"I am Professor Smyte. Why have you come here and interrupted my work at this late hour?" He said. I replied, "Professor! I need your help. IN PRIVATE."

I walked towards him, mouthing, "Do you have somewhere where we can talk? I need to lose him." I was so fed up with being tailed by this man that I turned around, nearly exploding he was so annoying.

"Why do you even care about me? Go away, you stupid, obnxious, repulsive, ignorant CALADONIAN!" With that final angry and distainful "Caladonian" (his accent helped me place him), I slapped him as hard as I could across the face. Dropping my hand, I turned back to Professor Symthe, walking towards him.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

What the!? She slapped me! The other was kinda funny but this... It took me a minute to get my bearings. She was a good deal stronger than she looked. The woman and the professor were almost to a room in the back when I finally got my thoughts together.

There is no way I am letting her get rid of me! I plan to find out what is goin on. More than my curiosity or anything else it was my stubborness that was keeping me here now. That, and the fact that even though she hit me she was still gorgeous. I have always been a sucker for a pretty face (which had caused me a good deal of trouble in the past).

I had already begun running across the museum using the fastest ground eating pace I could manage with my long legs. I managed to get my foot in the door as they were closing it (to the detriment of a few toes) and shoved my way in. "Never slap me again.", was all I said as I took a seat in the room facing the woman.

Our Host!