The State of the World - Discussion

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Vorak, Jul 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Sorry guys, but I don't have too much time for the RP now... Somebody should take over my char or hit it with a hibernator weapon, etc... (But make sure Maximus won't be alone against the others)

2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Well, your character is tucked away safely (read the first page) if you decide to join the fray, otherwise you might become a martyred NPC in the name of Global Supremacy....

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

4. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Welcome.

Yeah, I've had a few to many RL issues lately and I probably will still be sporadic for a few days, but I'll try and get on again.

6. Maximus

Maximus New Member

welcome Vyenna. Feel free to pick a side and jump into the middle of the carnage. The position of Queen of the Amazons is still open, especially with the sudden vacancies....

-------------------------------------------

Perhaps I went to far with stating your reactions, my apologies. I was only trying to show probable reactions to neurotoxin and mental attack without doing anything more than setting the stage. My bad, but for a first crack at forum RPG, I dont think I'm doing half bad.

I erased your reactions from my post, and adjusted the text to make sense. You still ate neurotoxin that was planted when you dropped your shields (after miraculously not disintegrating when teleporting through mine?).

BTW, have fun with the Ion Cannon blast smashing through my ship.

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

What the fuck is wrong with you, you two are retarded. Maximus, you especially, the idea of a roleplay is for it to be kinda almost believable. Do you know how quickly anyone not you could have used that, oh I just happened to have guys there, so boom, card? Learn how to fucking roleplay you little stupid douchebag.

This is the first roleplay we've had in awhile worth shit, and the two of you devolved it into a pecking contest I was trying to get back on track, but whatever.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

9. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I kinda agree with blinky...hopefully, after what I put, something will seem normal. I mean, it's still weird, but, you know.
    Too much "oh, well I'm instantly there" or "my people knew you would do that."
    We're on number three for Grossenschwaums. Hopefully, this one gets to stay.
    And, yes, feel free to join, Van Stran. Just...put more into an entrance.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Let me reiterate the rules that you guys should have picked up on for roleplaying.

You are not God. We're supposed to be Lords, fine, we have some crazy amounts of resources. But if you can see through my cloaks, I can see through yours. Yours are no better than mine. I only got around your cloaking by using something you didn't account for. I'm sure there is some type of explanation you can give for how your troops do something besides just, "Oh, wells my tech is just the bestest w00t!"

This is childish. It's devolved from a pretty fun and funny roleplay to, oh, well I'll just show up with a bunch of guys, and oh, I blow you up, because I know how to, and I have for awhile, but I didn't before, because I didn't want to. Use some constraint, any fucking moron can type 'I use my ring to summon the armada.' That's not even the pretense of roleplaying. Where the fuck did your armada come from? How is it invincible, how is it not? You do nothing here but type into a box, you'ld think you could provide some actual information.

For proper reference; I know Vorak turned against us, Miho couldn't have, and so she let him by. Poor combat judgement, maybe, but if I had just shot him that would have been dickish to Vorak, and Miho had no reason to shoot him. So why would she?

Also, you don't dictate other peoples actions. Wolfsbane did NOT underestimate his power and only take out seven ships. Your ships did something to minimize his Glare, so that only seven ships were affected.

For that same reason, it's generally considered a bit of poor manners to destroy something of someone's if its particularly valuable or has a name, at least before the player has a chance to defend it.

Maximus, when you didn't just blow up the van I was in with Charly, that was good. When Frigo's magic kamikazee drones just appeared in my ship and blew it off? Bad.

That said, your ships aren't invincible. If you had taken the Redemption out in a less hackneyed and ridiculous way, I wouldn't care at all. I'ld probsbly have Miho make it to an escape pod, and send the ship straight into something. You can even die, just because you don't want your lovely character to die doesn't mean he won't. So stop being fucking homos and play right for a change.

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't just say that because of the third Grossenschwaum. The first one DID die, the second has resigned himself to a life in outer space (though, for now, he's hovering around Mars), and the Third...well we don't know yet, do we? I'm trying to play this as best I can. It's been getting crazy, what with the space battle and the M. Night Shyamalan twists (like those human bombs on the Redemption that have always been there), but I'm not out to be unbeatable or show that "i 4m t3h r0xx0rs". I'm trying to keep up with everything that has taken place.
    What I want to do is to see how far the story goes. I just don't think it's time for Grossenschwaum to kick it, yet. It will happen. Some event so insurmountable will occur that I won't be able to write it off. Until then, I want to keep playing.
    I mean, there's a good reason I survived the battlestars; I was a friggin pulsar! The drawback is I can't go back to earth as THAT Grossenschwaum, so I activate a new one. A new Grossenschwaum with the same abilities as the first. They don't get any stronger. And, you know what? When I said "once and done" in my post introducing Neutron-Grossenschwaum, I meant once and done. It can't be done again. I may not have said it at first, but the chances of that happening at all were (as I made them up) one in 1,000,000,000,000. The dogmen just didn't want to let Grossenschwaum know there was a strict possibility that he would die. It's either follow orders or be slagged. The fact that it worked was amazing.
    If you said that because of how often Maximus and Wolfsbane dodged death, then I retract the first paragraph, and keep the second and third.

12. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Well, I thought everyone was having fun, but perhaps I was mistaken.

By my count, my fleet was never invincible, and seems to be taking quite a beating from three independent armies, one of which is an entire space fleet that was equally matched in number to my own. By my reckoning, I'd set up a terrible fight scene, but no casualties had been declared. My assumption was that Xiao would smash that fleet, and walk away with heavy but replaceable casualties.

Grossen was set upon by four Battlestars, which from my perspective was more of a complement to the Pulsar-Grossen which I assumed would be all powerful and survive (barely) the destructive force of the Battlestars. After desroying them, he would transfer into the Dogman-Null he'd already prepped, and move into the (presumably) final scene.

Wolfsbane threw me for a loop because I wasn't ready for personal hand-to-hand fighting yet, as the story hadn't really gotten to the grand-finale scene yet, but whatever. ...Then he vaporized an entire fleet with a look... What can I say, old habits die slow and the GM from Junior High took over. Water under the bridge. I backtraced with him, and was willing to see where it went.

As for the Redemption, maybe it was a low-blow, but then so would vaporizing an entire planet with your invincible all-powerful ship. I did mention that if Frigo wasn't going to rejoin that he'd be 'Martyed in the name of World Dominion', maybe five or six days ago. You still have two other invincible ships with which to dispatch the remnants of my fleet, which is pretty beat up from the others. Over half of the First Fleet had landed on Earth, or at least tried to as you shot them down before they reached the surface. The remainder is attempting to destroy Thor, but hasn't yet. Lots of wiggle room there.

You asked why I didn't get into lots of detail and describe where everything came from and all the stats. Have you seen the size of my posts? Come on, who wants to read an entire novel before they post? I added enough drama and detail without getting ridiculous, especially for an army that was meant to be destroyed.

But hey, I was only trying to have fun, and assumed everyone else was too. Maybe your feelings got hurt, I dont know. Its only a game.

If you guys want me to keep playing, let me know. If not, I'll post once more to the main thread and die honorably.

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Gross, no, it wasn't about you at all. You've had it previously established, you have cloning tanks. Someone could have blown up your tanks and I trust you wouldn't have just written it off as, well, he didn't find the eight thousand other cells I have around the world.

I wasn't implying anyone's feelings were hurt. It's just annoying when it seems like one player is continuously trying to one-up other players. I wasn't going to vaporize Mars, I was actually intending on melting part of the surface by shooting down Aluminum ions to react with the rust on the surface and make thermite, which would have ever so slowly destroy alot of your planetary defenses.

That point with you and Wolfsbane is exactly what I was talking about, and if you're going to stop that stupid crap good. But in general, you need to chillax. Like you said, it is just a game, there's no need to lord over it, GM style.

Also, and simply for your notes on what is bad, the stakes only starting getting raised after the post where you assaulted Harmony Island. You railroaded the plot through several points where other people would have probably liked to say something, instead of being forced to just sit there since they can't post in the middle of yours. I'm perhaps guilty of that too, and that happens in a play-by-post roleplay, but you did it excessively.

I don't give a damn who plays, I'ld be content to come up with a point to rewind to in this one or completely restart and start fucking around from the very beginning. And I really don't mind if you play or don't, it's nothing personal against you at all, it's just, god fucking damn man, that was going so well until you got a little excessive, wolf tried to god-mode in and stop you, and then it devolved into a pissing contest.

14. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I would like to defend myself here, because I feel like some of this is directed at me. What I've been rtying to do for several posts now is to get a fair fight between me and Maximus. I do admit that some of my actions have been overpowered, but that is mostly because I needed to defend myself from getting instantly killed, with no allowance of escape.

And Gross, the reason why you're up on Gross nr. three is because you can. I can't clone myself or anything like that. You can. It makes dying a lot more easy, eh?

Anyway, with that said, I'm going to tone down a little of my power and most probably go back to earth soon.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

16. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Harmony Island was introduced on Page two, over a week ago. I described its buildup and the arrival of the worlds leaders in numerous posts. I only recall one person even making slight mental note of it, but no one did anything about it. I even announced when the Summint would begin. It was part of the plot, and was to be the point where my character made his move, which is what happened. I didn't string it out any more because the Second Fleet was getting destroyed pretty badly, and thats when any military commander would issue a counter strike.

For the record, I commited my actions to paper when I decided to attack Earth, to include what my fleets were composed of and the train of events, and have been following it with only a few adjustments based on other peoples reactions. The only real change was the Martian Fleet was supposed to be reinforcements to the fleet attacking Earth, but everyone went to Mars instead. Oh well, crap happens.

Also, half of my posts were setting the stage, developing background, and NPCing the reactions of the world, for and against everyone, myself included. If anyone's character was put in a life-or-death situation, I left it open ended for their probable escape, which you used through-out the entire game. Thats fine, the 'superheros' are supposed to win in the end.

Here's a proposed solution. We have a mod come in here and delete or zero out all the posts from mine (see below) onwards, if those effected dont protest (mostly Wolfsbane and Blinky). Then we try and play from there. Or have the Sun go supernova and destroy the friggin universe.
    At this point I dont care, since the fun's gone out of it.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:14 pm Post subject:

(etc, etc)

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I only referenced the Harmony Island post as that's when it happened, that wasn't the problem, alot of the rest of the post was.

This really has ruined the momentum of a very good idea. Perhaps I have another idea that will work.

Our Host!