The ranks: too few ,better weapons!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Genocide Angel, May 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Calis

Calis Member

Not really. I asked Saint Proverbius (who does the ranks), and he told me he actually *likes* making new ranks. He doesn't mind it one bit. I do, however, mind somewhat. I get a bit annoyed when I open the board, see that a zillion threads have been updated, open them and see that many of the new posts are:
    1. Just ONE GODDAMN SMILEY
    2. Just one word (such as "Yeah")
    3. One phrase ("You are right")

Oh, and these are ALL posts of Al's. Dig around a bit and you'll see 'em.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate Al's presence on these boards. He knows a lot about Arcanum, and generally tries to help people besides spamming. I just think he needs to look at the quality/quantity balance of his posts.

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

3. colonel_mortimer

colonel_mortimer New Member

I must agree with Calis. Why do you think I started out coming here everyday and now I spot check occasionally? I remember when this message board was started. I remember when it was the Inn without the idiots and spammers. Now it has change and one day my favorite message board will probably suffer this same fate.

What happened to all of the old people from the inn? Did they all leave or are they sandwiched between all the newbie posts.

I do not blame Calis or any of the TA staff, nor can I offer a solution. All I can say is you are welcome at TD anytime and if you find a way to solve this, I and many others, will probably come back at full force.

4. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Oh woh weird, you mean that there are Moderators?

Huh, other users?

I thought that it was just Ioo and me yelling at one another about Fallout2 :p

Seriously though, ranking systems are always neat, and in fact I posted about an alternative system that used to exist on forums over here http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1972&forum=10&5

Oh yah, I have posted messages that are literaly type written PAGES long, w00t, hehe.

I do like the system of Average Charecters Per Post, hehe. Kinda like the old Files Uploaded VS Bytes Uploaded VS Bytes Per File Uploaded debate/systems that used to exist back when such things really mattered :p

I like how the [H]ard|Forums do it myself though. 64, 128, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: com2kid on 2001-10-22 06:39 ]</font>

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Aha, there are moderators here. What other users?

@ Colonel_Mortimer: Yeah, but I like the previous TD board built using CGI. The YaBB is it?

6. colonel_mortimer

It is not the board itself that I like there, Al. It is the community as a whole. The CGI board and the PHP board is the same board.

What don't you like about the PHP board? Didn't you say once PHP was better than CGI, when I asked if PHP was truly better?

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I like PHP because its much more easier to learn than CGI. It's not because its PHP driven that I don't like the new message board. It's the features. Yes, I like the new board better than any other mesage boards but I think the YaBB-made board because it has lots of features. Why was it abandoned?

8. colonel_mortimer

Since I am not Tonúrics I can only speculate that the change was for overall better performance. I have noticed that half the time I go to the old TD or any other CGI site it will error out. Plus, with the on slot of users on the board, it was down all the time. When he made the board he did not expect it to have quite that many people posting. The board had too many people, hard to believe, isn’t it?

What features are missing? You can’t only do the same things on the new board, but you can even do a little more. The way I see it the two boards are both the same but the new one does not have the errors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: colonel_mortimer on 2001-11-09 00:45 ]</font>

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I can only name a few:

01) Auto-Notification
    02) Something wrong with the who's online
    03) Member listing
    04) FAQ
    05) Recent Post
    06) Private messages (uncertain)
    07) Member count
    08) Post count
    09) Topic count
    10) Newest member

But the new one is much cleaner.

10. colonel_mortimer

01) Auto-Notification: Umm last time I was there we had that, actually it’s been there for at least a month now. Sure it is a little buggy at times, but at least we do not have people bringing up 20+ new threads in an hour.
    02) Something wrong with the who's online: It works fine logically. It looks at the IP of the member when you disconnect with a modem and come back on your IP changes, so the system will see you again, but it keeps the old one for a half-hour.
    03) Member listing: What the member listing has now and always work for me, anyway.
    04) FAQ: That is a little picky. When you post there is a link at the bottom of the window explaining all of the text effects and such.
    05) Recent Post: Surly you realize the most resent post is the one with the latest time and date next to it.
    06) Private messages (uncertain: I will agree, but Ton's philosophy is that is what email is for.
    07) Member count: it is on the members list.
    08) Post count: It is under your name when you post.
    09) Topic count: Another pointless stat. Feel free to count them is you wish.
    10) Newest member: He's the guy at the bottom of the member list.

I will give you number 6 but I keep reminding him, he will probably do it when he can.

11. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

It seems that a lot has change.

01) Auto-Notification for each replied threads, I mean.
    02) That's why I said it was buggy.
    03) There's no member listing. Until I saw the one at the left side.
    04) Not the vBB thing. About the whole forum thing.
    05) I mean the recent one that has been posted by an online user. Something similar to active topics, I guess.
    06) As is.
    07) I mean the total number of members in the front page. But i don't mind it not being listed.
    08) Meaning the total post counts all in all at the board.
    09) So I guess its pointless. Don't need this.
    10) How about at the front page? New members would like that.

12. colonel_mortimer

01) Auto-Notification for each replied threads: Yes, we have this. When you open the board with the "new" image, and say there were 3 new topics since your last visit then those three threads have the "new" image also.
    02) That's why I said it was buggy: It is you people stuck in the 80's :smile:. Get high-speed Internet service. :wink:
    03) There's no member listing. Until I saw the one at the left side: Well I guess this calls for cut and paste. At the bottom of the board in the user center press here, "View member list."
    04) Not the vBB thing. About the whole forum thing: What do you need to know?
    05) I mean the recent one that has been posted by an online user. Something similar to active topics, I guess.

Yes I knew what you were talking about but it seem pointless. It is the post with the latest time and date. Surely you could figure out from the index what board had the last activity, by looking at the time and date. Then open that board and you look at the top post and there it is.
    07) I mean the total number of members in the front page. But i don't mind it not being listed.

So you are too lazy to click the "View member list."
    08) Meaning the total post counts all in all at the board.

That seems to be a useless static. There are fewer total posts than here and more than DoA has. :smile:

10) How about at the front page? New members would like that.

Well I would think the new members would prefer the 10-15 welcome posts from the 10-15 regular posters. Which almost always accompanies a first time poster’s first post.

If anyone is reading this saying, "Why the hell is Mortimer concerned about Al's problems. If he don't like the board then let him not like the board." Well usually I would do that, but he is an Administrator of the site. Hell he outranks me. Imagine if Calis or Monkeypunch went over to The Tarant Daily and said, "TA's forums are nowhere near as good as ours." You may be a little confused and defensive yourself.

As to why Al does not post this on TD, where:
    1. Tonúrics will see it, the only person that could fix these problems.

2. He could use a Media to communicate to Tonúrics that would not be open to other non-staff members, and would not cause the people who don't want to see the "worthless" topic to have the thread in there way.

I have no idea what, if any, logic he is using. :sad:

13. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

01) Did I explain it correctly? I may have misinterpret you with some details. I'm saying Auto-Notification about each posts. You post a new topic with a check box at the bottom of it, right? So you'll receive e-mail for every post. But what about if you are not the poster of that certain topic? What if you are just the one who is replying to that post but would like to get notified if someone replied to "your" post, or replied post? Will you get notified with that? Talking about the PHP board now. I don't know if it works with the CGI board but I think its a great idea.

02) I'm so sorry if we don't get that high speed. I've been trying to find a server that can give me cable connection. None of them are available in our area. I called them and they say so. Some are only open for business use. That's what I get for living in a third world country.

03) I saw that too during the previous post. I thought you knew that I would knew about that.

04) What do I need to know? Nothing really. I was just pointing out the difference between two boards remember? I think I already asked my questions back at the newbie post I made at TD. And even so, you've been answering most of it here.

05) Again posting the difference. Still, some lazy guy (probably me) wouldn't bother looking the date and time thing. It can also been noted through the *new* icon which you forgot to mention.

06) Nothing to reply here since you didn't say anything about it.

07) Posting the difference. I don't really need to know.

08) Agreed. Just pointing out the difference again. Foot: You're at DoA? I didn't see any of your post there.

09) Nothing in here too.

10) Not all new comers post. Well, I don't know about TD but in here, some of them don't do that. I can still see the first 50 registered members here and some has the post counts of zero.

Did I say anything about not liking the board? I was just stating that the CGI board is "better" than the PHP driven board. I don't think I said that.

As for which is better, this forum (TA's) or at TD's, let's just say both. There's a previous post in here somewhere about that. One of those early post. I think TD only needs new members. Why is the forum not that popular as TA's? I think the forum is great. It has lots of features than this board, no offense, Calis. Everytime I got there, most of the post I see there are from admins/moderators.

I don't post it there because I'm replying to your post. Besides I did say something in here that my hard drive crash and some of my files got deleted including those passwords. Of course, that doesn't count as an alibi because the cookies didn't got deleted.

Now people, as to CM's "Why the hell is Mortimer concerned about Al's problems?" I think he's trying to the do the flame war thing to get to know me better, I think, or to test my intelligence (very low, I know). He said that in one of his post at TD.

Anyway, thanks, CM. This is my longest post in here so far. Actually in all the Arcanum board communities.

14. colonel_mortimer

Man that’s a lot of stuff to reply to Al. I’ll try to keep this one short, but I must reply. Sorry, to all offended.

01) Active topic notification: Ton has been unable to work out many features of the old board this and PM's have suffered that fate. When he changed to php it was because of errors causing the site to shut down when there was too much activity. He had to come up with a very quick solution. First, he made it to where we could do little more than post topics. Slowly he has added more features. Hell, he added a whole bunch of new features, less than 35 hours ago.

02) I was aware of your modem problem. I was joking, hence all the goofy smilies. But the problem is the modem reconnections.

Somewhat related I noticed someone here was logged in twice today. It is just not as easy to see who is online at this board.

05) It was mentioned in my last response to 01.

08) I am not even a member of DoA but I have been there several times and read a lot of the posts. In fact the only forum I do not go to at least once every 2-3 days is Sierra's.

10) I have never seen the name of someone that has never posted in the members online section and it being in plain view I usually check it first thing. This means they are not coming back very often.

"I think he's trying to the do the flame war thing to get to know me better, I think, or to test my intelligence (very low, I know)."

My infamous "mock" flame wars. :) Yes, I did say that but I have also said that they and most of the crazy things I post over there are TD exclusives. I feel I already know you fairly well considering I know were you are "really" from and the political status of your country. You probably thought I was bullshitting when I said I was interested.

I was really just responding to you. If I do get to know you better then that is a plus. btw, you are more intelligent than you let on. Sure your English is not perfect but it is not your first language, and to tell you the truth if I did not run my post though spell check you would think a Half-Ogre wrote it.

Calis, and any other members, I would like to once again apologize for posting all of these replies about a competing message board but I would expect Calis to do the same thing at TD, and I would probably add a few points towards his cause. Plus I have posted on topic posts today in order to help out those with questions and problems.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: colonel_mortimer on 2001-11-09 12:44 ]</font>

15. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I don't have anything to reply on that one. I think I've said enough from my previous post.

16. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

I think some of them are really gay :puke:

Like the:
    untrained - what is it? a railroad nail?
    master - should be something better than bow.
    clock medic - definately gay.. should be like "chainmail".
    Tech Marvel - same thing only platemail or sumthing.
    Bottle of salvation - same thing :roll:
    36 shot rifle - cool kinda... should be like arcane great sword or scourge sword :minigun:

Our Host!