The Let's Play Pirates! voting thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grakelin, Nov 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I am well aware of the historical value, however this is a game, I prefer chainshot, cut down their masts and they float in circles. Get a real kick out of that because I hate it when 40 pirate hunters line up and kill my sails then I am forced to keep jumping ship and taking theirs only to travel for 2 secs and lose my sails again.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Hey, I never said I'd played this game. My inner historian is a really bossy bitch and insisted I post.

3. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

I have played this game...

And grapeshot is about the most effective thing around at depopulating enemy vessels before you board. They have a tendency to surrender when you do it enough.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The more crew the better I always say, means more crew to join me, and more to send overboard! Yarr!

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Enemy crew only joins you if you're low on men on your own ship. In recent games, I've actually taken a liking to loading up a Royal Sloop with cannons and firing round shot to destroy the enemy's guns. Sometimes they sink, but eventually they hoist the white flag.

Updates later today!

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

A) Let us call our second ship Steampink.

A)

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

A) Repair both ships. One for frontal attack, and the other you could use to ambush the enemy from behind.

Yes.

B) Curacao

8. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

B and A win!

[​IMG]

We make way for the Spanish Trade Galleon. The battle is fairly simple. We hit them with a volley of round shot first, which killed about ten of their 45 or so men. We are hit by some return fire, but we only lose a cannon and no men. A volley of chain shots killed several more of their men and forced them to surrender. Note how vicious I am. This picture is taken moments before I behead the enemy captain.

[​IMG]

The only tricky part was that the wind was not in our favour. They almost got away at one point.

[​IMG]

We caught them very close to the port, so I take all the goods, and the ship, and head back to port. I'll hold off on selling until I pass through the tavern to check for more missions. We have about 38 tons of goods (which we can't sell here, they don't have enough money), but we'd need the Trade Galleon to carry it. Conversely, the Trade Galleon slows us down.

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, the barmaid has another tip for me. This time, there is a Spanish Trade Galleon heading north from Trinidad, towards Montserrat. Unfortunately, no new men want to go with us. Apparently, we drained Lollercake's remaining crew dry.

[​IMG]

The bartender also has a tip for me. The best place in the local area to sell our Goods would be Puerto Cabello. 13 gold per ton. That means we would make 494 gold. I've provided a map to show where Puerto Cabello is in relation to us. Unfortunately, it is uncertain if the Spanish will let us in their town to trade. There is no bounty for us yet, but sometimes merchants refuse to trade with 'heretics'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternatively, my family is missing, and my loins are burning, so maybe there are some Governor's Daughters in the Dutch cities who can help me with both cases? The Dutch will probably give me a promotion.

So, now to the choices. First, what to do with the Trade Galleon? Selling it will earn us 29 gold, but will lose 38 tonnes of cargo. It will cost us 321 gold to repair it so it is seaworthy. That is a 173 gold profit overall. It's not a good flagship. I won't even consider making it such. So, will we:

A) Sell the ship and lose our cargo?
    B) Keep the ship

And then the choices for our next move are:

A) Go get the Spanish Trade Galleon
    B) Deliver our Goods to Puerto Cabello
    C) Go to a Dutch City (either Curacao or Eustatius, your choice. There are only two Dutch cities on the map right now) and chat people up.

As always, attacking things indiscriminately is an option. Also, We can do C AND A, if we go to Eustatius, or C AND B, if we got to Curacao. So you can vote for both if you like. Voting for only one implies I am to land at the nearest friendly port when the task is complete.

Since there was a bit of division this time, the vote will last until one or more of the choices has received three votes. Whichever has the most when I arrive to check will win, regardless of who got their first, however.

9. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

- Sell the ship, it's deadweight, and not worth to keep around for 173 gold profit.
    - Dutch Governors' daughters sound fine.

10. Charonte

Charonte Member

Why repair the ship at all? I'd say loose the goods in the nearest capable town and sell the ship while you're there. That's still a profit

11. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I think it isn't seaworthy. At least that's what I got from the "repair" part.

12. Charonte

Charonte Member

He did just sail it down there, though.

13. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

In order to loose the ships in the nearest capable town, we have to give up the Spanish Trade Galleon (going either to Martinique or Trinidad). The ship goes very slowly, I only sailed it a few kilometres to get back into port. It's only at 39% sails and 29% hull, however, so not repairing it is certainly an option (though it will inhibit us a bit). We'll call it 'Option C' on the first choice, with a vote from Charonte.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

I just want to mention that the PC version has better graphics than the Xbox.

16. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

My suggestion:

1: B until you can offload the cargo, then sell your surplus shipping.
    2: A, then C to Curacao. You'll probably still be closer to Curacao than Eustatius, if you intercept the trade galleon quickly, plus the tradewinds go west.

I'd like to suggest that Curacao is an excellent base for raiding the Spanish.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The votes from my tally are: A, C, A, B, A (Which means we sell the ship).

For choice two: C, B+C, A+C, C. So, we're going to Curacao (I considered letting the next person decide, but then I realized that with B no longer being a real option, C has won).

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

On May 4, we arrive at Curacao. Aaaah, what a lovely city.

[​IMG]

The glimmering centre of the world! Well, first stop is the Governor! We have a jovial meeting, where he discusses the war with the Spanish and how happy he is that we killed Lollercakes. I make a big show of grovelling to him, but he seems more interested in examining his sword.

[​IMG]

Then he promotes me to Dutch Captain. Sweet. In addition, 50 acres of land outside Curacao (basically, the Governor just gave me a third of the island). His attractive daughter briefly says hello, but I'm not sexy enough to date her yet. Whore.

At the tavern, 32 men join our crew. While there, a mysterious man, calling himself Vorak, motions for me to join him in the back of the room. His sales pitch of a piece of a map leading to Lollercake's treasure for just 600 gold pieces is quite appealing, until I purchase it and realize that all it says is "It's near some land. There's a tree within a hundred miles or so."

[​IMG]

A friendly barmaid informs me that the Spanish Treasure Fleet is bound for Rio de la Hacha. I promise to note that in my log, inwardly wondering why the Spaniards are so bad at keeping secrets.

[​IMG]

The Shipwright can supply our ship with Copper Plating, allowing it to turn faster. This will cost 700 of our 3500 gold.

Our choices:

A) Get Copper Plating
    B) Do Not Get Copper Plating

A) Chase the Spanish Treasure Fleet
    B) Raid Spanish Trade Galleons in the Area
    C) Take our 110 men and launch an attack on one of the cities nearby (We'll be outnumbered 2 to 1, but land battles are my specialty, so maybe we'll live! Riskiest option)

20. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

B and C.

All in, bitch.

I've only played Pirates NES, but that looks like a lot like Cartagena to me.

Our Host!