"Taming" Mechancial Arachnids, Follower auto-level

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Frankenstein, Dec 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frankenstein

Frankenstein New Member

I keep having to start over because I want a pretty balanced Half-Elf Thief character; however, I also want to have some pretty good techy disciplines like Smithy and Mechanics. Is there some way to change, say, Magnus' auto-leveling scheme so he can keep advancing in Smithy or Mechanics? That's if I wanted Elite Platemail by the end of the game without having to put lots of points into it myself. If this is possible, what auto-leveling scheme would be best (raises intelligence and smithy and/or mechanics...smithy preferably)?

And also, if I get the lvl 127 patch, do the Followers also level up that high? Or should I just stick with the 1.0.7.4 patch and have them reach level 50?

Speaking of the patch, it seems no matter how high my Prowling level is, I cannot steal Mechanical Arachnids. When I go to that area in the Tarant sewers under Willoughsby's house, they are folded up on the ground as normal. Then when I click on them, they attack. Did the patch fix this, or am I doing it wrong? I really want to be able to get them (and automatons) earlier, rather than making them.

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

First of all, those Mech Arachs are hostile units. It's like trying to steal a wolf, it can't be done.

Don't use the lvl patch, it's horrible. Also your followers aren't programmed that high, so they'll just have lots and lots of points left over.

Unless you want to remake Magnus' leveling scheme, a bitch of a task I do say, you could try Chris Beddoes mod+expansion, I heard he has something to let you switch your followers level scheme.

BTW, if you're a theif, why do you want heavy armor?

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Re: "Taming" Mechancial Arachnids, Follower auto-l

Are you sure you're not in combat mode when you click on them? Do you even have enough room in your inventory to pick one up? Those are pretty big so if you don't have a pretty bare inventory, you won't be able to pick it up.

4. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Blinky, I know we've been over this before, but what do you really have against the level hack? Did you witness it molesting babies? Are you just against using such hacks in principle? If so, OK, but some people (like myself) just don't on principle, like the idea, for role-playing reasons and for reasons of the fun of leveling in an RPG, of "maxing out."

Really, have you played the hack, the one designed for the patched version? I have, about four times. And I've also played the real way three times. I've been, as far as I and walkthroughs know, to every location in the game, both as a good and evil character. I have found NO bugs that happen playing with the hack that do not occur without the hack. None. What's the deal? If you've seen one of these mysterious bugs, could you let us know?

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

No I have not played the one designed for the patched version; if it isn't as buggy as the others, I'm sorry.

I find Arcanum so tremendously easy that lvl 30 could be that cap and people could win, although, I must admit, perhaps multiplayer would be improved by more levels. One question I ask though, is if you want a maxed out character, why pretend it was so much work? Once you hit level 30-35 it because very hard to die, even if you try, so the next 90 levels will probably not be more difficult. Why not just hack the guy?

But I must thank you, writing this has given me a brainchild. Should I make a mod primarily FOR hacks and level 127s? It would have to be extremely difficult and anyone under level 50 would get annihilated, but it would be a nice way to provide a challenge for level 50 guys, experience to level up guys to 127, and something that wouldn't make me yawn when I decide to play my hacks.

6. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Well, you could try, but I'm not sure that there are any monsters in the game that could challenge a level 127 guy. Well, at least not a level 127 mage. I never even get hit after level 20 or so with a mage.

I agree that the game is easy at level 30, but I just have this thing for not maxing out.

Also, playing the hack, I've never actually reached level 127. I'm not sure it's even possible. The furthest I've gotten was a smidgen over 80, and that was just to see how far I could go, so I used the xp exploit with Jason C. Guy. I think the highest I've gotten without any cheating (not including the hack itself) was somewhere in the mid-70s. And that was visiting everywhere I could go, and F5ing every single combat.

Again, I don't hack the guy because I'd rather just play through, and I feel a little frustrated in the endgame if I stop leveling.

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Dude, you don't think if I made a mod for level 127s I would be using wolves do you?

HELL NO!!!

I'm going to make a hack, with max everything, and 500hp 500 fp, and if I don't die 3 times in the mod, I'm making it harder.

8. Frankenstein

Frankenstein New Member

Who says a thief can't wear heavy armor? My dexterity is high enough to where I can wear platemail and still run away from a tough battle in short order. A thief doesn't just conform to one idea because there are many types of thieves.

Blinky, I read that you can pick up mechanical arachnids and everyone seems to be backing this rumor. Furthermore, I do have enough room in my inventory, I am NOT in combat mode, and I am prowling. There doesn't seem to be an explanation for why I just can heist a few. No big deal there.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I know you can pick them up, you can pick up ones that are inactive. You're talking about the 3 near a ladder right? Tarant sewers? Those are hostile units. They are not set to be picked up, under ANY circumstances. If it was a spider YOU had created and then deactivated, THEN you can pick it up. Those are enemy units, you have to kill them, or avoid them.

Dude, I'm not saying you can't wear heavy armor, I'm just saying, if you're role playing a thief you probably wouldn't want to because a suit of platemail is not only noisy, it's heavy. You're dx might be high, but if you become moderately or severely encumbered you're going to be alot slower. But as I said, I'm not saying you can't, it just clashes with the basic role of a thief; fast and quite, not kinda fast and loud as all hell.

Our Host!