still playing acranum?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by xaint, Apr 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Tech rules in Arcanum, you just need to know the tricks. Some future tips:

Guns- don't learn gunsmithy. Steal. A hunting rifle is enough to get you to Tarant, where you steal a Hand Cannon, and you're armed against any challenge until you build a blade launcher or slaughter the poachers for an Elephant gun. If you aren't patched, steal the Looking Glass rifle from Firearms master in Ashbury, and you're set for the whole of the game.

Bows: on first arrival to Tarant, buy the Compound bow. The blacksmith only sells it once. Schematics for Uber bow- the Pyro bow- are avaliable as early as the Wheel Clan

Melee: Willoughsby's house basement has schematics for the Pyro axe. You can get them VERY early in the game.

For any tech player- always make charged rings. Learn Molotov as a secondary weapon, it will win you many a tough fight. Have Jayna with you, her elixirs are great help.

2. floyd

floyd New Member

Thanks for the pointers! I've finished my half-elf game pretty quickly, just following the main storyline, because I got bored somehow (all in all I pretty much went magical again...). I'm probably starting a new game this evening and this time I'm planning on giving tech a new chance, but I was wondering:

I've read about Automatons. What should I invest in then? Smithy and Mechanical (my guess)?

And what about Virgil? Should I dump him eventually for Jayna (she's in Dernholm, right?)? If I remember correctly, the first time I tried a tech character, Virgil's healing spells didn't work anymore after a while and he would eventually faint from trying. But won't I miss out on some storylines that way?

I'd go for a gunslinger (never tried that before, to be honest), but I wouldn't want to miss out on all those thieving quests in Tarant and Caladon (I've skipped most of those with my half-elf, don't ask me why...). And I'd need Throwing and Explosives as well, you say... And only 64cp's... Oh vey...

So: Smithy/Mechanical/Lockpicking/Throwing/Explosives (I'll just buy and steal guns like you said). Will that work out? Seems the character-thingy on TA doesn't work anymore (I've tried, I get nothing)...

Jeez, this game can be so darn complex sometimes. Too much possibilities...

I know this is not the right forum for hints and tips, but I didn't want to start a new thread...
    Flame me if you feel like it... On the other hand: any tips and hints will be appreciated!

~ floyd

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yup. You need to be a Mechanical Doctorate and Smithy Assistant to learn the schematic.

Do you know about the Essence of Intellect trick? Instead of pushing your Int all the way to 19 (given that you would want to take a discipline to the top), you could just leave it at 9 and quaff those potions whenever you needed the IQ boost. 10 saved points ain't bad at all. :)

Well, if you finished the game before with Virgil you should know that:

Virgil leaves, creating a little quest were you can get him back

... but it's not that important. You're fine without Virgil, and as you said, his healing is worthless to you. Of course, there's nothing really holding you from having both, but then again, you might not have enough charisma for the required follower slots...

Frustrating. isn't it? Especially with DU telling me that the planner is currently FUBAR. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, how about you, hmmm? Oh well, he said that he would try to fix it, so....

I guess the only way would be to sit down and crunch the numbers yourself... or download ratsters neat little program Santa hands you from here.

And the hopeless desire to try them ALL out. I know the feeling.

Good.

No.

Yeah, and are you happy now. Huh? Are you happy, punk!

:p

4. floyd

floyd New Member

I feel so stupid for not coming up with that trick myself... I mean, I've used similar tricks in Fallout... Jeez, thanks, great hint!

And yeah: I know what happens with Virgil and so on. I only wish there were more npc's with voice and an actual story. When I dump him, I usually start to miss him after a while (call me crazy).

Most of the times, I create a character, try him/her out for an hour or two and then I start a new game with another character and so on... It's tiresome, I tell you, but I just need to know *obsessive rant* ...

*grabs Dark Elf's ass*

Thank you very much! :p

~ floyd

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Umm DE, are you sure? I think he needs Doctorate in both- he must know the Mechanical Arachnid schematics and the Elite Plate ones...

Virgil CAN heal techies just like Jayna. Just give him bandages.

A little tip: you don't really need Throwing if you plan to use grenades from close range, when your enemy gets too close for comfort. Also, there is no need to learn Alll of the explosives. Molotov and Stun grenades are the best there is. I even prefer Molotov over Explosive grenades, though the Explosive ones make fine trading items.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm very sure you're right. I used the info available at Dimensions of Arcanum to answer that. Appears they were wrong.

And Virgil... yeah, he could use bandages. Just didn't pop up in my mind, with me never really using the healing skill. Anyway, for a techie character, that follower slot is far better off filled with some other guy, and if it stands between Virgil and Jayna... ;)

7. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

A good one for automatons, is to deactivate the ones in vendigrath, go through the last area invisable walk over and touch them all , then pickup and deploy. Instant Army.

8. Settler

Settler Member

Arcanum has quite possibly the best theme music I've ever heard - it's beautiful. Sea Dog told me a couple of years ago that even WOLF cried...now there's something I can't imagine...

9. Arronax

Arronax New Member

Arcanum has the best soundtrack to a game i have heard...its touching :cry:

Our Host!