Star Wars Episode II Trailers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vlad the Imposter, Mar 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

Did anyone catch the one that aired on Fox last night? I just watched them (there are 4) at this website. Doesn't look too bad.

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

you have to join yet another site, though... i'm not up to filling out a form right now...

3. Milo

Milo New Member

I missed the Fox trailer on Sunday, and the one at the site Vlad linked to requires Quicktime (and registration, I guess).

So I went looking around for an MPEG version and found this site. There's teasers, the trailer, and some behind the scenes thingies in MPEG and Quicktime. I'm downloading the MPEG trailer right now. It's 28 megs. No registration requred.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

How come Anakin has aged but the Princess hasn't? Actually.... Everyone looks the same except Anakin..... I think there's something fishy going on here.

And the hype continues..... More Hype = $$$ For George LucASS.

5. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hmm ... if noone else has aged, they must have been shooting both films simultaneously. Good trick.

I think we're supposed to see is everyone has aged about 8 years. Obviously, going from 10 to 18 is a bit more noticeable than going from 18 to 26. Then again, it could jsut be badly done make-up.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I cannot say that I like Star Wars. I liked the original when I was a kid then later, lost all interest in it. Talking about such movies, my friend who is in college on psychology, told me that one of his teachers is saying Harry Potter is a book worser than Mein Kamf. I didn't read the book or watch the movie. What I find upsetting though, is that the book was written to pull kids away from TV and computers. Looky here, what do we have? A movie and a game? Figures....

7. Sheriff Fatman

Are you saying that you have seen some kind of statement from J. K. Rowling to the effect that the book was written with that intent?

I'm not refuting it, since it seems pretty plausible, but I'd be interested in the source of your claim.

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Too bad I can't do that. It's just something I heard from my brother who said he saw some sort of interview or what not. But when you take a look at the effect the book has on the children, I think it's pretty much possible that was the original purpose. If an author creates the work with true heart for an audience such as children, who are pure of heart. It's may happen that they somehow bond.

9. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Wich is good since movies and computergames cannot be compared to a good bok.
    My sister has read all the harry potter books at atleast five or siks times and she is 12 years old. The harry potter books are really good books you should read them, the do not under any surcomstances beat the Lord Of The Rings.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Qilikatal on 2002-03-12 08:29 ]</font>

10. Milo

Milo New Member

Well, after watching all four of the trailers, I don't agree that all the characters look the same age except for Anakin.

Ewen MacGregor is sporting some really funky looking facial hair and wig. Anakin looks like a real goober, too. After the way the "young Anakin" looked, I'd think they'd get Ricky Shroeder to play the grown up one. Yipppeeeeee! Midochlorians, ahoy! Also, and it might just be the trailers, but Matilda Amidalha Portman is starting to look a little beat, too...

All that being said, the trailers look fuckin cool. No JarJar in sight. At the end of the fourth teaser, they showed a big Jedi light saber fight. Oh yeah. There must have been 20-25 jedis going at it at the same time.

Even though Phantom Menace sucked, I'm still going to see the second episode. C'mon, it's Star Wars.

11. Vlad the Imposter

That did look pretty cool. Did you notice the one where Anakin was fighting with two light-sabers? From what I saw the fight scenes will be good if nothing else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vlad the Imposter on 2002-03-12 11:56 ]</font>

12. Sheriff Fatman

*climbs into asbestos panties*

I didn't think Phantom Menace sucked. I thought it was really well done. JarJar was a bit too much (although he didn't seem much worse than Ewoks to me), but the rest of it seemed pretty much in keeping with the whole Star Wars thing.

I'm looking forward to Attack of the Clowns. It answers one of the questions that has bothered me since RotJ. I never understood how Darth Vader could have once been a decent chap, then just said "Ah buggrit, I wanna be evil," then later said "Oops, looks like I'm a good guy after all, take that evil emperor dude!"

The whole fancies-the-pants-off-some-bird subplot explains a lot.

People love to knock stuff. It's easier than doing stuff. Ah, stuff it.

13. Milo

Milo New Member

OH C'MON! Ewoks were cute and cuddly. I cried when that one Ewok's mom died and he was crouching over her furry, cuddly dead body crying "Momma? Momma?" in his cute, furry Ewok language. They sing cute little songs and live in cute trees.

JarJar, on the other hand, was a HORRIBLE RACIAL STEREOTYPE. All the websites say so. His whole species lived underwater. Fish also live underwater. Fish are neither cute nor are they furry or cuddly. Therefore, Ewoks > JarJar in every way. Logic prevails, citizen.

You bring up two good points here. Namely (a)the horrible naming of this episode, and (b)Darth Anakin's conversion to The Dark Sideâ„¢.

First off, the name. What's up with "Attack of the Clones"? Couldn't they have named it "The Clone Wars"? Why didn't Lucas go all the way and name it "Attack of the 50-foot Amazon Clones from Outer Space Nine" if he was going for the cheze? I've read that Lucas didn't like how "Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars" sounded because "wars" was used twice in the title... Yeah. Ok. All I can say is that the current name is as dorky as the other episodes. "The Empire Strikes Back!!!!" "Return of the Jedi" Good movies, but dumb names.

Second, Anakin turns evil. We all knew it was coming, but I hope it's handled well. During the trailer(s), Anakin seemed kinda... Linkin Park, if you know what I mean. "Aaaargh! It's all Obi-Wan's fault! Nothing's ever good enough for him! He won't let me be with the love of my life! I'm the most powerful Jedi ever, not him! Everything he says to me takes me one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break! Obi Wan thinks he's the boss of me, and he's NOT! Shut up when I'm talking to you, Obi Wan! Shuuuuut uuuuup!" Whoa there, angsty.

14. Vlad the Imposter

I love that song!

Anyway, I have heard different reasons for why Anakin crossed over to the dark side. One was due to a fight with Obi Wan that left him in the condition he was in the first episodes (IV thru VI). So he is lying there all fucked up and the Emperor swoops down and fixes him up, fills his head full of shit and voila, Darth Vader. I have also heard that it was the Emperor that messed him up and then fixed him. Which is correct?

As far as the whole Star Wars thing goes, I grew up on it. I have been a fan since 1979, why stop now?

15. Sheriff Fatman

Based upon a dimly remembered comment from when I was 10, collected Star Wars figures and had a friend who was an absolute Star Wars NUT, I just checked up on a book he once talked about.

It's called Splinter of the Minds Eye and is set between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. My friend, Andrew, told me it includes an explanation that Darth Vader's maiming had something to do with a volcano.

I have no idea of the veracity of this claim, or even if a book written by Foster would be giving the lily word on Lucas' plot, but it's a thought.

16. Milo

Milo New Member

Now that would be cool. I'd love to see that. I didn't catch who it was that Darth Anakin was fighting with the dual lightsabers. Could it have been Obi Wan? Oooh...

Another thing. During the third teaser (not the one that was shown on FOX) towards the end, they showed another Darth guy. One of the evil Jedis. He was a white dude with white hair and a white beard. He didn't look like the Senator/Emperor. I wonder who that was... I remember at the end of Episode 1, someone mentioned that there are only two evil Jedis at a time or something like that. The master and the pupil. Since Darth Maul is dead, I just assumed that Anakin would be the Senator's new student. But if that's so, who's this other guy. He had a red lightsaber, so you know he had to be evil. Plus, the long black robes were a giveaway.

I second that emotion. One of my earliest memories is standing in a line that stretched around the block 3 times with my parents back when the first Star Wars came out. Lucas has me by the balls now. Even if this movie was all JarJar all the time, I'd probably still see it just because it's the next Star Wars. I'd whine about it, but I'd still see it. And the next one. And the next one.

EDIT - Just caught Fatman's post.
    OH HELL NO. I won't accept such a corny explanantion for Anakin becoming Darthy. A volcano?! Anakin vs. the Volcano?! No way... Maybe he just caught a "brain cloud" and turned evil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milo on 2002-03-12 14:30 ]</font>

17. Vlad the Imposter

If the volcano thing is true that explains how I heard the first story. Obi Wan and Anakin have it out in a volcano. This is after Anakin's first visit from the Emperor. As they are fighting Obi Wan kicks Anakin's ass and he ends up falling down a gas port in the volcano or something like that. At least that is one story. I think. I am sure it will all be explained. I am just impatient and don't want to wait another 2 years to find out.

[EDIT] Milo, I think the other black robed dude is the second student. Stronger than Darth Maul. Anakin kicks his ass and that is why the Emperor starts in on him. [/EDIT]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vlad the Imposter on 2002-03-12 15:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vlad the Imposter on 2002-03-12 18:47 ]</font>

18. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Ok, I gotta question about this Emperor/Senator Palpatine thing.

Ok, in the Phantom Menace, you had your two dark Jedi's. The Emperor, and Darth Maul. Ok, I understand that Anakin is going to become the new apprentice, Darth Vader, eventually. Ok, well, Senator Palpatine is going to become the emperor, right? Well, in that case, who is the emperor that trained Darth Maul?? Is he not the same emperor in the original 3 Star Wars movies? And what is going to happen to him so that Senator Palpatine can become the new emperor?

:sad: I'm confused......

19. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

The way I see it, Senator Palpatine is the emperor all of the time, but I could be wrong...

20. Sheriff Fatman

Yeah, it seems that way. Palpatine is even pretty reminiscent in manner and physique to the Emperor from episodes 4-6.

Our Host!