something vaguely creepy...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rosenshyne, Oct 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Noriko, a large percentage of my cooling is not spent on my cpu, it is concerned with cooling my video card and all of the hard drives I have in my cases. When you have three 250 GB hard drives go out within two weeks after you get them from what looks suspiciously like overheating, a little noise is a small price to pay to make sure that it doesn't happen again by making sure that plenty of air is moving across them. As Jarinor observed, those 19 dB fans move practically no air. Oh, BTW, I'm not saying that my cpu isn't kept busy because it is generally kept pretty busy, too. If I could afford some of the silent cooling systems and they worked effectively on the entire computer, I might be inclined to go that route.

One other little thing, I care about below 30 °C because I am personally quite uncomfortable at those temeratures and see no reason to subject myself to additional discomfort when I hurt like hell most of the time anyway. I'm even considering setting up a fan tray in my office window with a thermostat so it will come on and pump some of the excessive hot air out of the room whenever the room temp exceeds a set level to reduce my discomfort - no sense in running it all the time and pumping cool air outside. :)

2. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I bought a lot of 17 fans from ebay and one of them was one of those cheapo 20dB and I decided to plug it in for kicks. It moves almost no air at all. A few days ago my computer was sitting at 25 C/77 F. That's about as cool as it gets with air cooling. Water cooling wouldn't have got me down much more than that. Right now I'm sitting at 30 C, which is a little hotter than normal but it gets really hot in my room compared to the rest of the house. If my windows were open then it would drop a few degrees.

As for cooling my hard drives I have an intake fan (which moves 77 cfm) positioned right it front of it so it sits at about 27-29 degrees Celcius. I have 3 vantec tornados all right next to each other (2 exhaust, 1 cpu) and it is a scary sight. When I get the money I'm going to buy water cooling but for now it's all in the tornados.

Jar, what the hell is in your case that runs at 72dB, and how much are does it move? I want one!

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Thermaltake fans, baby. 80mm monsters. The noise they generate is incredible, but so is the amount of air they move. On that note though, I really need to get some ducting and tidy up the cables in my case. The shit in there is just getting way out of hand. I'm running out of space on my hard drive as well, so I should probably hook myself up with another one (hooray for working for a company that can buy shit at wholesale prices), and some rounded IDE cables would go down well I'd say. SATA is fast, sure, but the hard drives themselves then become the bottleneck.

4. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Matah bought 17 case fans off of ebay.

And on the subject of your child, Rosenshyne, I suspect demonic possession. Get some holy water from the nearest Catholic priest and apply it to the corrupted child's forehead. If she cries because you got her face wet, then she just has a psychological problem. If her skin begins to burn, she's demon-posessed. In that case there are two things you can do: the first is attempt to exorcize the evil spirit. Again, the local priest will probably be helpful for that. If that fails, then it's on to plan B. Fashion a stake out of white oak, dip it in the holy water, and recite the Lord's Prayer in Latin (see end of post) while bringing it down in a firm stabbing motion. This will kill the child, but it will also purify her heart and ensure that she makes a safe journey to heaven. You can also use a sharpened silver cross.

Pater Noster, qui es in caelis,
    Sanctificetur nomen tuum.
    Adveniat regnum tuum,
    Fiat voluntas tua,
    sicut in caelo, et in terra.
    Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
    Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
    sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
    Et ne nos inducas in tentationem,
    Sed libera nos a malo.
    Amen.

5. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?n ... tent&id=16

Are those the ones you were talking about? I have 3 in my case. Which is the same as yours.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, those look like them actually. Colours are a little weird, but specs look the same.

7. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, I got some of them, I can't stand that color though. It doesn't blend in with the Fun Shway of my components. I do admit, they push alot of air for a 80x80x25 fan.

Our Host!