Slideshow? Need some help.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Viktor_Berg, Dec 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums as you see. It's good to see that the game of Arcanum is still having a fan group :D.

I've completed the game 2 times, and particualrily (sp?) enjoyed it. I liked the end movies, and the slideshows as well. I've never played a game that's so advanced in story!

Anyway, my question is: I'll try to go through the game, with my goal being ultimately the best (most positive) slideshow in the end. However, some things bug me.

1. The Caladon Slideshow. I used Arcanun (UnDAT utility) and extracted all possible slides and voiceclips. I've found out that the positive slideshow for Caladon can be only in 2 of 5-6 cases:

a. Bad negotiations, war between Caladon and Tarant, but Maxim uses the air machines to win the war -> Caladon prospers, Tarant goes down. (I don't want that!)

b. Good negotiations, and new governor of tarant is that orc guys Throgg or whatever. I've never managed to do that quest about the orc factory, as I've read one must wait till the paper boy announces that there is a revolt, but he never did (I waited about 20 times) (That's my choise, how do I manage this?)

2. The Bedokaan Slideshow. I've found out that the Bedokaan have a possible ending in uniting with the elves, civilizing and all the bunch. I, however, killed the poachers and all, but the slideshow for the Bedokaan shows that they are primitive and all. How do I complete the quest so that the Bedokaan will have a good ending?

3. Something is weird with my slideshow in general. I mean, first time I went through Arcanum, I used my old PC, and there was no problem with the slideshow. However, now that I have upgraded my PC to some nice parts (Radeon X1900RX can give you the idea), the slideshows "jump forward", and not all of them displayed. I've, fortunately, saved game right before I used the device on Khergan, and I watched the slideshow multiple times, with different episodes coming up every time. I saw, however, that some slideshows just flash by, without stopping and without the voice. Even the ending piece, about "Arcanum being a place of pooprtunity" is not always played back. Any idea as to what causes this to happen?

Thanks in advance!

Viktor Berg

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Sorry, I had to quote it because it made me laugh when I said it aloud.

The Bedokaan quest ends in the best way possible when NOONE dies. Killing the poachers serves only to distance the reptiles from warm blooded people.
    The true ending of the quest occurs when you convince the chief, Kan Kerai, that not all warm bloods are bad, and how Elves are similar to the Bedokaan. If you can successfully do this, not only will Kan Kerai set the elven hunter free, he will offer one of his own, Waromon, to journey with you in saving Arcanum.
    Also, when you complete the game, that is when you'll get the image of the Bedokaan living in a tree city with elves.
    I tried to reveal as little as possible for you, so you can get the most out of doing the quest. If you need more pointers, I'll give you a little push in the right direction.
    As for the other questions...I didn't really pay attention to Caladon.
    But, your computer might be too fast for Arcanum. Do you notice your game randomly speeding up while playing?

And, spelling wise, the word that jumps out at me is particularly.
    Your "pooprtunity" is probably just from switching your O's with P's.

3. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Oh, haha, didn't notice that typo! Sorry, I meant "opportunity", of course.

No wodner you ignored the Caladon quest. It's a quest for a Master Persuade. It's quite tricky, as I must first persuade the counsil members of Caladon to join United Kingdoms, and then it looks like I must help Donn Throgg with the revolt. But I have no idea how to catch the moment when the orcs DO revolt!

About Bedokaan - thanks! I'll try that.

About speed - no, the computer is not too fast. It definitely shouldn't be skipping portions of slideshow (and random ones!). By the way, I experience something directly reversed - after some time playing (1,5-2 hours) it becomes suddenly harder to scroll screen in Arcanum - instead of the smooth fast scroll, it goes slowly and "jagged" "if ya catch my drift". I have no idea what's hapening.

Thanks anyway!

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

The orcs can only finish the revolt with player involvement. If you don't interfere then nothing should happen. I don't know how not interfering affects the end slide. Perhaps the revolt isn't mentioned at all or perhaps a massacre is the default outcome.

In the later chapters of the game just keep checking the orc filled warehouse (top right in Tarant near Bates' mansion). If there are men standing outside then the orcs are revolting.

This is just memory leak. Save the game. Restart Arcanum. Everything should be back to normal.

Our Host!