Shadowrun Returns Gameplay Footage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDavisChanger, Mar 10, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

2. TheDavisChanger

I was plugging Shadworun Returns, but that was before XCOM

Shadowrun Returns in one week.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFYsQ0M2Jrg[/youtube]
    I don't know what to say about it other than I hope that the toon in this trailer was meant to have a limp. With as much as I've been anticipating this release, I have to say that I had hoped it would simply look better. Perhaps I've been spoiled by XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which is in my opinion flawless. Similar style to the game, but Shadowrun Return's characters look so lifeless in comparison to the combat animations achieved in XCOM. Naturally, I will withhold full judgment until I've had some hands-on time with Shadowrun Returns, but up front I have to ask:
    Have any of you played XCOM: Enemy Unknown?

3. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I think there's quite a few of us who have played XCOM, actually. I have, for instance, even though I haven't spent as much time and effort as many others on our forum.

4. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I've never finished it. But I did paint myself into a corner a fair few times by developing way too slowly as opposed to the AI. That game is hard.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Good game. Really enjoyed it. Would like to hear your thoughts on this one when you've played it for a few hours. Would love to have a couple of games to enjoy when training is done.

6. TheDavisChanger

The thing is I loved every mechanic in XCOM: Ufo Defense and the recent reimagining has removed (or streamlined) much of these mechanics. The micro-managing of soldiers' time units, of scientists' and engineers' tasks, of inventory was all fun to me. It's absent and I don't miss it at all. Even having one's soldiers pigeonholed with classes doesn't bother me and I feel like breaking free of classes has been the most important advancement in role-playing games in recent history.

I've already lost the game once and am poised to lose the game again. Having learned the importance of satellite coverage, I'm still learning how to time their launches. In many cases, I'd be discouraged with multiple losses. Not in this case.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is too much fun. Good luck, Shadowrun Returns.

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I am playing it to death right now. I bought it two weeks ago and I'm on game #51.

It surely is awesome.

8. TheDavisChanger

Wow. I bought it in December and only installed it this month. I was busy slugging through the first two Bioshocks. As fun as those two games were, they never quite felt "for me" as XCOM does. As such, I have no interest in carrying on through Infinite.

9. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

The new XCOm is awesome and one of the better games I purchased and finally beat this year.

I highly recommend it to anybody. The game is PUNISHING on Classic Ironman mode and above.

More on topic, I'm buying this game and will be playing it this weekend. I'll try and make an update.

10. Transparent Painting

Started playing Shadowrun yesterday.

It's... Hard, going from a rather fast paced and flashy game, such as Warframe, to a turn based Shadowrun Returns, with stiff animations and reduced customization options. Still, the story and game play is compelling, so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: After getting a little bit further into the game, I start to really enjoy it. Playing as a surprisingly social decker, spreading out my karma point far and wide, I still don't feel handicapped in any part of the game. Come to think about it, I'm more or less playing a pacifist Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution), currently minus the augmentations.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

My initial impressions of Shadowrun Returns aren't really that good.

The game itself seems well designed, but it's incredibly linear, there's no real sense of exploration or going where you want to go in the game. Being a "campaign designed" sort of DnD based game I suppose this makes sense, but I was expecting more along the lines of the Genesis/SNES game than this.

Lot of little UI issues that are annoying as well. I feel like the game could have used another QA pass or something.

The pros are definitely the story and class design so far. I've made a Decker character but haven't run into any Matrix activities yet and I'm several hours in, so that might be part of my disgruntlement.

12. TheDavisChanger

From what I've seen of my brother's play-through, my impressions are somewhat brighter than they were initially. I'll comment when I've had some actual hands-on.

13. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Having spent 15+ hours on the game I'm not really *disappointed* in it as it was only 20 bucks.

It's just that I was really hoping for some kind of open world Fallout 1/2 type of game in the Shadowrun universe. This game is most certainly not that. (Granted, if I had informed myself more about the game before purchasing that wouldn't have been a surprise or anything, so I'm not mad or anything)

Doesn't mean that's it's still not fun though. The story thus far has been pretty good. Combat is getting a little bland though, but luckily the situations/objectives the story puts you in spice it up just enough to keep it interesting.

Replay value is hard to judge because there are multiple classes to build but because you can recruit runners of nearly every type you get to experience what those classes feel like already, and the plot is gonna be the same damn thing the 2nd time around.

I think many people on this forum would enjoy the game, but as TDC said I'd recommend the new-ish XCOM game over it for sure.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Heard the save feature is checkpoint based which is the worst thing so far.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

It is annoying, yes, but it's so easy to gimp turn based games with instant save/load/reload in battles, so I'm sorta glad it's not an option.

Checkpoints are pretty frequent, was never a problem for me personally, but I could see how it might be for some.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I don't use that save and reload method for turn based things but that is because I don't like cheating. Shame they took the choice out of the hands of the player though. I won't get to play this till some time next year anyway so hopefully there will be some nice mods by then.

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Having just beat it tonight I'm a little disappointed by the play time. Barely have time enough to get really deep into the skill tree they developed before the game ended.

I've mixed feelings on this game for sure, but it was only 20 dollars and not 50, so I guess I can give it a tentative recommendation.

18. Transparent Painting

Lets just hope the effort they've put in the game editor pays off. I'm not sure we can trust the community to create interesting and thrilling campaigns on their own, but it feels like the developers have focused more on that option than creating one single story line of their own.

19. TheDavisChanger

If the Shadowrun Returns community has a Drog Black Tooth, then I fear not for the user generated content.

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm playing a human rigger/decker. I'm useless in a fight, and usually chill out behind a wall whilst my drones and hired runners do the actual work. Because fuck breaking into a sweat.

Our Host!