ScriptEd 1.50-beta released (1.50-beta Build 3)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Dj_Unique, Jul 13, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. team a

team a New Member

It was my mistake - I had a few lines in gamebook.mes that were too long. Since they were for books I never added, I hadn't bothered to check. I should have kept a closer eye on that Arcanum debug window!

Sounds like you have added a lot of scripted commands. While I don't have much programming experience, I'm going to play around with them once there are more helper scripts that I can look at for examples.

2. Dj_Unique

Dj_Unique Member

With the upcoming build 3 it will be really easy to distribute new scripts thanks to the newly added helper script manager.

Since I'll be going out of town for the weekend, I'll only have time to possibly release the new version of ScriptEd but afterwards I'll try to put together some more useful helper scripts that can also be used as a learning exercise.

I have implemented a mechanism for the scripts that enables the helper script to perform certain actions when it is selected in the helper script manager, such as a call to the AddHelperScript function which will then add the script to the list. It could also display a message (such as information about a helper script pack) etc. I just tested this mechanism and it works perfectly.

This can also be used with a script that has no main program part, therefore for helper script packs I can include an installer script that adds all the scripts to the list at the same time. The possibilities are endless.

This is just one part of the expandability, since there are also plugins which I haven't had much time to work on. Possibilities for plugins are also quite diverse. The plugin interface still needs a lot of extending before any complex stuff can be created. (At least the dialogue structure should be made available for plugins)

An idea I had in mind was a fully featured dialogue testing plugin (recreating the functionality of Dialog Debugger) which will run in its own window. It would attempt to grab the dialogue and the script from the main application (if its present) and then you could test run the script just as it would work in the game. Now that I've declared all opcodes as constants, it'll be much easier to implement the script engine to the extent it can be implemented.

3. team a

team a New Member

That sounds like a good idea - it would save a lot of loading time. Since scripted has a .mes editor, you could do just about everything not involving worlded and art.

4. Dj_Unique

Dj_Unique Member

Looks like I'll have to wait until next week to release the new build as I need to get going soon and I'm not confident about putting up build 3 in its current state because there may be some more bugs lurking about. I'll be back on Sunday and then I'll get back on it.

5. Dj_Unique

Dj_Unique Member

I'm pretty much done with Build 3 now and decided to upload the installer.

http://de01.rackglobal.com/~djunique/fi ... -setup.exe

There's still a lot of stuff to add to it but this should be a bit more stable than the last version, hopefully.

I'm not 100% sure if I managed to catch everything so if you catch any strange behaviour or exceptions, please report them to this thread.

Changelog:

- Added a right-click menu for module script loader for various
    operations. Currently only for deleting a script so you can
    conveniently delete scripts that you don't need.

- Fixed some bugs in the player option editor regarding data
    left in from a previously edited player option. The temporary
    data placeholders were not cleared properly.

- Fixed incorrect code when loading compressed modules.

- Player option editor now gets focused properly when you move
    a player option up or down. The problem was that UpdatePlayerOptions
    was called after selecting the line which caused the list to lose focus.

- Added buttons for decompressing and compressing module data.

- Added helper script manager to preferences screen.

- DAT creation functions tweaked to work properly. The filenames
    in the directory tree were stored incorrectly, without a null
    character in the end.

- Added more right-click info tip data types: Script number,
    basic prototype, stat.

- Improved dat file handling, now it should report the filename it tried to open if error occurs

- DLG and MES parser will now ignore any input outside the curly braces that is not
    prepended with //, this improves compatibility with just about any dialogue or message file.

- The script is now recompiled on save to ensure that the script
    is up to date in case the user forgot to compile the script after
    most recent changes.

- Added folder monitoring for the module list so now when new files
    or folders are added or removed, the list will automatically
    refresh.

- Fixed crash when pressing OK in module selector without anything
    selected.

- Added a setting for turning on or off the confirmation of deleting
    a player option

- Various error handling tweaks

6. team a