RPG Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NobleKnight, Dec 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Canis, like it or not, everythings stacked against you. Almost everyone on this board that knows anything about Morrowing knows it's an RPG. The only reason there aren't so many people rushing to debate you is because you're popular on his forum. NPC's are cardboard copies? It must've taken BethSoft ages to make all the NPC's. Giving them clothes, choosing spells, face and hair. You get the picture. Compare it to ARcanum where they just make a character, give it a basic model, don't even bother clothing it, and give it a scheme. Only the important characters in Arcanum have different options, but the villagers in the street are cardboard copies. Hell, you can tell they didn't spend much time making characters by the fact that Ristezze screams like a woman, when you attack him. The characters start looking alike? That's probably because you play with the exact same character everytime you play the game, and when you make a new game, that character is exactly the same as the last. Can't you tell the difference between an ARgonian unarmed unarmoured character than an Orc in full Daedric Wielding an axe? That's all for now.

2. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

Yeees. That was only a examle. A bad one though.

3. Canis

Canis New Member

That's news. There are very, very few people here whose absence would be noticed, and you and I are not among them. Hell, Shadygrove's been gone since Thanksgiving and there's been only two mentions of it here. Although I did have a dream about him last night.... But that's another story entirely.

Yes, I do. You're very superficial, I get the picture. I notice that your definition of a unique NPC is that one has different clothes than another. You don't say anything about their personality or dialogue. Morrowind is all about eye candy, and you can't get past it.

Mr. Fancy Pants is a unique character with a unique personality and unique dialogue, and what you say to him actually matters. How many truly interesting characters are there in Morrowind? Two, maybe three.... And your dialogue choices with them don't make very much difference.

Wow, yeah, the characters have totally different fighting animations, that is so deep. I can already feel the complexity of their personality and the differences of their impact on the world of Morrowind.

4. Tholtan DarkOne

5. Canis

Canis New Member

You're starting to sound like Wolfie. Blanket statements with nothing to back it up.

"Gay sex is unnatural."

"Morrowind is the best RPG ever. Period."

"13-yr-olds are sooooo much smarter today than ever before, I wouldn't expect you ancient 20-somethings to understand the complexity of my character. Hell, I've got a unique hairstyle and everything."

Okay, got carried away with the last one. :p

6. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Well, Canis we can all see what a hopeless piece of shit that post was. I do give evidence to back up my statements. But normally I don't because until you ask because I unfairly assume you're not stupid. And if you can't see how gay sex in unnatural, I pity YOU. By the way, I seem to remember saying something like.

7. Tholtan DarkOne

1)It was only some kind of spam.
    2)I am lazy man. Understand it that way.
    3)Now I am sleepy too... BLOODY HELL WHERE IS MY TEDDIEBEAR?!

8. Canis

Canis New Member

I understand. :heart: My subsequent post was for the sake of taking another jab at Wolfie, not you.

Yes, Wolfie's boring, repetitive arguments have that effect on me as well. Next best thing to counting sheep, really.

Here, have a teddybun. :bunny:

9. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Damn, Wolf, post more intelligently. I agree with you about Morrowind being an RPG, albeit a poorly done, simple one.
    However, every post I read on this thread, particularly yours, Wolf, cause me to doubt this, and agree more and more with Canis.

1st step in a debate is to define what the hell you are arguing about. You need an established "What is an RPG?" Much like you needed to establish what "natural" means, I mean, damn. You claimed plastic was natural.

10. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I know plastic isn't natural. I asked CAnis if she could come up with an RPG criterion but she hasn't. She hasn't defined it either. But naturally you would take her side.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

I'm not going to stop talking to you because you ordered me to. You seem not to understand the point of a discussion forum. You must explain yourself, and then defend your point of view before others who may not agree.

You started off here rather poorly, and lately things have been going downhill for you once again. Have you considered finding a different forum, perhaps one populated exclusively by 13-yr-olds who are just as intelligent as you? You might be happier there. Not that I'm insisting you leave, far from it. You're a constant source of joy and amusement.

When did you say that? No fair rushing back to edit your old posts now. I have, in fact, made several posts in which I stated the qualities I look for in an RPG, but you ignore my points and instead inform me that one Morrowind NPC has a different hairstyle than another, and is therefore suitably unique.

And here we go again with the "what is natural" debate.... :)

12. Wolf

Wolf New Member

That superficial comment you made was completely pointless. I was just comparing NPC origality in Morrowing to the in Arcanum. Morrowind's is much better. All NPCs in MW are individuallly created. And CAnis, I actually did ask you for a list of criteraia for an RPG but I can't save you from your own stupidity I guess. And what the hell is this obsession with my being 13?

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Individually placed maybe, but do you really think that the developers individually named all of them, clothed them, set their inventories by hand etc, or do you think that maybe, just maybe, a script may have been used with default settings, and they plonked the bastards down all over the cities and towns? I think you're confusing the pre-release hype about the 300,000+ individually placed items with the uniqueness of the NPC's.

The scheme you suggested several posts back, comparing how Morrowind and Arcanum were populated should actually be reversed - there are generic NPC's in both games, but the individuals in Arcanum actually have dialogues with specific, unique responses, unlike the cookie cutter pulled-from-a-database system of Morrowind.

Morrowind is an RPG of sorts, but only in the loosest sense of the word. I became disillusioned with the game after becoming the head of the Telvanni, Mage's Guild and Temple without getting any sort of political clout or recognition. I should have bloody honour guards parading before, announcing my arrival to all and sundry, but instead I get the guards to the Temple telling me to watch myself. I'm their fucking boss!

At least in Arcanum, when you do something significant, you get recognised for it. Achievements mean dick all in Morrowind. Oh, as for the 'FPS needs shooting' argument of DrFraud, the term FPS refers more to the perspective used rather than what's done in that perspective (admittedly not everything done in first person is a shooter, but it's easy to refer to something done from that viewpoint as an FPS style).

14. Canis

Canis New Member

It's called flaming. It's fun, and there's nothing wrong with it as long as the post also contains substantive content.

And Arcanum's spawned randomly from the ether, right. I can't help you if you think Random Dark Elf Female #5173 with the stock dialogue and hairstyle C is more unique than Ristezze, that's your problem.

Ah, so you did. Any idea why you haven't addressed my points then?

DAMN I was just gonna say that. Don't you just hate it when your date wears the same dress as you?

I don't know, maybe I just like little boys.

Seriously though, it seems to be the defining element of your character. Haven't you ever wanted to go someplace where kids your own age are chatting, kids who'd understand and accept you and not flame you to hell every time you posted idiotic one liners? Really, think about it. You might be happier on a forum like that.

15. Wolf

Wolf New Member

That's because in Arcanum there are very few significant things you can do. So they focus on them. I'm not saying Arcanum is worse than MW. I retract my best RPG comment but maintain my stance that it is an RPG and it is the second best one I've played. Arcanum being the first.

16. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Wolf, people are not jumping into the argument for two reasons. First, she is doing a fine job of arguing without anyone's help. Second, arguing with you is an exercise in futility. You don't actually process other people's arguments, and your own arguments do not evolve. It's maddening.

17. Wolf

Wolf New Member

ACtually most of CAnis' posts are full of flaming with a few repetitive arguments. What the hell? Ristezze isn't unique. They just gave him dialogue, a model and a scheme. Wow. I never knew there was so much work involoved! So you date guys who wear dresses? Interesting, I suppose. And Jarinor, you think they place the NPCs randomly. Do you have any idea how hard that would be. Yep, characters in Ald ruhn introduce you to Balmora. Makes sense.

18. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Wolf, do you not read? He said they individually placed, or conceded the point. He just said they were randomly generated and had no distinguishing personalities.

19. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Well, anyway the point I'm generally trying to get across is that though Morrowind may not be the best RPG it still is an RPG. And no, the characters are not randomly generated.

20. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

*mutters to self* Dude has not played fallout.

IS he not sweet. Like an angrier version of xento.

Our Host!