Real Time Combat and CRPGs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gustavef, May 16, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. SoSD

SoSD New Member

2. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

3. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

IMBO it does. You can think whatever you want about it, i say the combat system is rotten, and bugs and unbalance is giving a way a nausia creating armora that makes me ill through and through.

4. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Pfft, Unbalanced? I can counter any weapon. It takes time and studying, something few games require anymore

5. Section8

Section8 New Member

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

DEUS! DEUS! SAY IT! (DAY-OOS)! It's latin you damned heathens, and I wince everytime I hear someone calling it Juice Ex or Due Sex. It's far worse to see it spelled that way.

Now StP, Deus Ex is somewhat dependant on the character as far as combat is concerned, higher weapon skills will steady weapons, cause more damage, increase range, among other things, and while it takes skill to play, it also incorporates the character you have chosen. Agreed it does require FPS skill, but not to the same degree as something like Quake. It is also fairly open ended, so stealth, lockpicking, science, etc are fairly useful :wink:

PaladinLord, Deus Ex is Linear. There are slightly different ways of getting from Point A to Point B, but you are always heading from the same starting point to the same destination. Even the major choices like whether to side with your brother or UNATCO are fairly superficial.

RPGs can be defined in so many different ways. By StP's reasoning, Diablo and Vampire:TM:R are better RPGs than Fallout because their combat systems are entirely dependant on the character, because the player has a whole 2 choice to make in combat (attack or don't). To me, a roleplaying game is anything where you are basically living the life of an alter ego. In this way, the Sims becomes the ultimate Role Playing Game, because it takes place in a world much like our own, you have a character that you can control in various different manners, (stats and items for the people who love em) but, like any other RPG it is flawed because there are many limititations to what you can do. I can't get my shotgun from under the bed to take care of the robber, or beat my kids. Everything has to stay along the straight and narrow which gets pretty dull, very fast.

The whole engaging storyline thing is highly under-rated in my opinion, and something we need to see much more of. That's why I am not a huge fan of the Diablos and Everquests out there...

6. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

I agree with Section8 on this, and who wrote jeus ex? SP? lol:)

i enjoyed Deus Ex, and imo it was character dependent, but required skills.

actually i'm more for a FPS perspective in FO3 then an iso perspective, as it gives a feeling of being inside the gaming world more then the iso perspective. if interplay can pull it off is a question mark though.

7. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Most of the major houses (EA, IP, and such) have put out crap lately, I'm sorry but B&W is crap no matter what you think, so was red alert 2, FOT SP stunk like hell

Whether ANY publsihing house for computer games can pull anything good off anymore is in question I think

8. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

*monkey remembers Shogun Totalwar, ground control, homeworld catalysm, the longest journey, baldursgate2, pst, JA2.5UB, UT, Counter Strike and finds jureel wrong, partly anyway*

and if someone thought that B&W was fun, are they wrong then? :)

9. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

I sit at my computer terminal corrected, Homeworld was fun

Our Host!