Random questions

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by kashin, Sep 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kashin

kashin New Member

Darn, I am trying to make charged rings but too late: I already sold off all my copper rings. :(

Does anyone know if the stores in Tarant, Ashsomething, etc. sell copper rings?

Thanks! I really hope that I don't have to redo half the game just to find some.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    General stores usually stock them IIRC. You should probably check the smiths too.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I usually get mine from smiths, but they're not 100% stocked or anything. The guy in Tarant by the gunsmith sometimes has them, as well as the smith in Shrouded Hills.

4. kashin

kashin New Member

Thanks, both of you... that was a true lifesaver. :)

5. Post-Internet Syndrome

Post-Internet Syndrome New Member

As far as I know, all ordinary smiths (and most magical smiths) have them. Not every day, but almost.

6. kashin

kashin New Member

Ahhh... I guess it kinda slipped my mind then since I tend to be bad at remembering such details. :)

Btw, just one more question. Yeah, I could've searched for more hints but I've no idea what to look for and I accidentally found out the ending plot to :( :

Am I doing anything wrong?
    My gun-toting character is using up ammo like water 'cos he was having problems, landing a good hit with the Hunting Rifle until he ramped up perception and got Expert Firearms skill. He's level 18 now.

7. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

That sounds pretty normal for a gunfighter.

Unless you pursue gunsmithy, or use your pick pocket skills (or maybe just a fate point) to steal a better gun off somebody, it takes a while to get to a point where you're going to start inflicting a decent amount of damage on your foes.

There is a follower you can recruit who can make some semi-decent guns for you. Let us know if you want spoilers.

And yes... Expert-level skill definitely helps. The bonus you get from Expert training isn't as cool as it sounds, but that third point in Firearms makes all the difference in the world. Your accuracy suddenly improves a lot and you do a little more damage.

I think the idea with guns in Arcanum is that it's supposed to be more challenging, but ultimately more rewarding.

If you learn how to make guns, there are a few really awesome ones and lots of others that may or may not be worth learning how to make to you. The trial and error adds to the fun.

If you steal guns, you can find some unique weapons that are kind of cool. And a few others that, at the very least, are better than what you can buy in shops.

Getting up to Master-level skill makes you pretty deadly. So all that struggling will probably seem worth it in the long run.

Using guns requires a totally different approach to the game than, say, becoming an archer. So, it's actually a pretty good way to force yourself to roleplay. And the high perception might encourage you to pursue skills that a mage or a generic sword weilding fighter doesn't really need.

8. kashin

kashin New Member

Woohoo... so I'm on the right track, phew! :)
    Thank you so much for all the tips.

What is that follower's name? ;)

And master level? Ehhh... I already met that guy Thornwald something who cut off all his fingers. There has to be someone else who teaches Masters in firearms, right?

Btw, I'm having some problems using the "walkpoints" feature in the game. Sometimes, the "path" works... while at other times, I click the "Walk" button and the characters don't move at all. Any idea what I can do? I'm using the latest official patch and modules: AWIP 6.0, high quality maps, high quality soundtracks and hi-res patch.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Allow me to fix that. "I think the idea with guns in Arcanum is that it's supposed to be more challenging, but ultimately end up as a master gunslinger, who is still harshly inferior when compared to any master warrior, mage or assassin." There you go.
    As much as a like playing a gunslinger, I sadly can't say that Trioka made playing as one rewarding in terms of sheer power. In terms of fun and game experiance it's great however, the joy from playing with different schematics is grand.

What particular unique items do you have in mind?

Wehehehell, erm, why do you ask? He's still live and kickin'... right? For keep in mind that there is only one master in each discipline.

10. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Vollinger.

He learns how to make the first four guns in the gunsmithy discipline. Which can be handy, because the Fine Revolver is better than the pistols you can buy and the fourth gun he learns how to make can be used to make other stuff from learned schematics. And, worst case scenario, you can always make a little extra spending money selling hand crafted flintlocks to junk dealers.

11. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Well... mainly the Sharpshooter's Pistol that the gun shop guy in Tarant has. It looks exactly like a Fine Revolver, but it does a little more damage (4-14 instead of 3-12), does more fatigue damage, has better range and (most importantly) has a much better TH bonus.

It's an interesting weapon to use because of the fatigue thing. You won't necessarily kill somebody any faster than you would if you were using a Fine Revolver, but it's harder to miss after they pass out.

I found it to be worth wasting a fate point on.

The gun shop owner in Black Root has some kind of funky flintlock rifle with a nice accuracy bonus, but I've never actually used it to find out if it's any good.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Odd. Where did you take those parameters for the Sharpshooter's Pistol? in my game it has 3-12 damage and 3-9 fatigue damage, making it both look and act like a Fine Revolver with an additional +10 TH (15 Th in all) and + 5 range.

There is no gun shop in Black Root. You're confusing it with the gun smith in Ashbury. He and the one in Tarant are the only gun shops in vanilla Arcanum.
    The mentioned rifle (the Long Range Rifle, to be exact) looks and acts like your casual Rifle, but has + 5 TH (10 TH in otal), +5 ragne and +1 speed.

I you would ask me, none of those weapons are really worth having. They are easily outclass by, not looking too deeply into the topic, the Looking Glass Rifle (amazing 20 TH, great range of 25, 10-30 damage, 1-15 fatigue damage, yet slow with the speed of 6 with apprentice training) or the, in my humble opinion even better, Hand Cannon (5-35 damage, 1-10 fatigue damage, range of 12 and no TH, but faster - speed 13 for an apprentice gunslinger), and both can be aquired by either simply following the gun smithy discipline or by using a pickpocket fate point.

I must admit though that I was not aware that there are any unique firearms in the whole game, hence my question. Thanks for pointing that out.

13. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

Vanilla arcanum ?...maybe he is playing original one ...

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

NO! THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

[​IMG]

Seriously now.
    vanilla Arcanum = original Arcanum
    There you have it.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

What in the world made you think that's not what Frosty was talking about, Muro?

16. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

I'm playing Vanilla Arcanum with the 1.07.4 patch.

Muro is right. I meant Ashbury, not Black Root. Sorry about that.

Edit: I don't know where I came up with those values for the Sharpshooter's Pistol. They must be from the unpatched game or a dream I had or something.

Muro is right again. The damage and fatigue are the same as the Fine Revolver. But still... A higher accuracy bonus and more range are both pretty handy.

17. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

I can't argue with any of that. The Looking Glass Rifle is an amazing weapon. I wasn't a fan of the Hand Cannon until I got the patch (in the unpatched game, its damage is only 5-20 or something like that), but now I'm a believer.

One of my favorite guns, actually, is the Long Range Pistol. You don't get a TH bonus, but it does 10-30 damage and it's a little faster than the Looking Glass Rifle. I like to make one for Sebastian.

And Bronwyck's Gun isn't too shabby if you're looking for new ways to kill Ore Golems.

It's no Droch's Warbringer, but the energy pulses look neat and you can't go wrong with fire damage.

18. kashin

kashin New Member

Holy smacks, people... wow, those are quite a few replies. ;D

Thanks, everyone for the tips and help. ;) Btw, is there any other form of transportation available besides rail and ship? The longer routes are all so inconvenient. :(

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Teleportation.

Since you're playing my hack, there's a variation of it available for all players at the white magick shop in Tarant.

20. kashin

kashin New Member

Woohoo... thanks. :) Exactly how is it supposed to work, though? Sorry... haven't played an RPG game in ages. :)

Our Host!