Pyro Axe overpowered?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by TONGSyaBASS, Apr 5, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Is the pyro axe unbalanced?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. It would be more balanced if it was harder to make.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. It would be more balanced if it used fuel as ammo.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I decided to reduce the fire damage done by the pyro axe and leave everything else the same.
    I then created a second axe: Pyro + Kerosene
    Does the same damage as the original axe.
    Uses 3 fuel per swing.
    On a critical fail there is a chance that all the fuel you are carrying will explode, damaging the wielder.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Does the explosion have a graphic?

3. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter to me if there are an explotion or not. Great solution anyway!

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I'm going to use the standard grenade explosion graphic. However I've hit a small snag that I've yet to solve.
    A lot of the time: critical fail = destroyed weapon = script destroyed = no effect.

5. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

chalk it up to 'realism' then. accidental explosions tend to be unpredictable things. when the weapon destroyed result occurs maybe the whole axe head flies off separating the pilot light from the fuel resulting in no explosion.

6. Johee

Johee New Member

I find the pyrotechnic axe kind of kills the challenge for me, so I just don't use it. Problem solved. The new ideas sound good, though.

7. divagoldvixen

divagoldvixen New Member

In my humble opinion, pro-axe is balanced at least in car arcanum mod (with insane diffculty) where plenty monsters are immune to fire e.g. death sprites, brute fangs, fire elementals etc.

Moreover the attack speed is not that fast, e.g. when facing group of 6-12 strong monsters such as fire elemental, players can kill at most 2-4 monsters but the rest remains and will kill the player quickly.

Therefore I do not think that pro-axe is a panacure to monster killing, much tactics and other tech gears/spells are needed.

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Very true, Car Arcanum seems to be the great equalizer. There's not any one weapon that's "good" for killing in that mod, but there are several that are simply awesome. The one thing that holds me back from going on a rampage is the fear of breaking a weapon, due to the high amount of weapon-damaging enemies now present in the game. While broken weapons can be fixed, their hp's are never quite the same. In that respect, the pyro axe remains a world apart, because it does not suffer from item damage like many other objects in the game. That, and its lack of speed can be countered by a high strength and a considerable melee talent.

Our Host!