Please Help Build my Character

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Lycia, Nov 20, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lycia

Lycia New Member

So I posted this idea in the "Your Characters" thread, and played around with it, but I've decided to remake the character due to a bit of stupidity on my part (I think I accidentally threw the ring out, can't find it in my or any merchants inventory) and a general lack of effectiveness in the early game. The idea is a character who specializes in summoning, electrical, mechanical, and firearms, and the problem I seem to be having is not figuring out where to put stat increases or what a good background to use is. Here is what I've figured out so far:

Strength needs to reach 8, Intelligence needs to be 19, Willpower needs to be 15 or 18 depending on if I want to master summoning, and Perception needs to be however high to max out my firearms (can't remember the number off the top of my head). Furthermore, a decent Constitution would be nice if I'm going to have a bunch of summoned creatures running around. A further 23 or 24 points will go into maxing my technology, firearms and summoning, leaving me with 40-41 points to go into stats.

I've narrowed down the backgrounds I may want to use to either Mad Doctor, Sickly, Miracle Operation, Only Child, Sheltered Childhood, or Raised by Monks. I'm also unsure of where to put my starting points to make the first part of the game easier, and would love to hear some veterans' input on the matter.

Thank you in advance.

2. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

since you spread your points around pretty widely, I'd eliminate all of your background choices except raised by monks and Only Child. Only Child is your strongest bet, since between summons and arachnids, you won't need more than 1 follower anyway. Btw, why not consider Agoraphobic, or better yet, Afraid of the Dark? If you keep a light source on you all the time, the latter will get you two attribute points but cost you nothing.

Summons start out strong, I'd say get IN (10) and your CN high enough so you can support having two summoned ogres around for some time. Higher intelligence will help you develop disciplines too, so it's a must.

From there, personally I would start raising PE and firearms, because I like to use the fate point I get from defeating/ persuading the thieves at the bridge to get myself a looking glass rifle. Good combination if you want to be a waltzing death machine at level 5.

3. Langolier

Langolier Member

Have you tried using the character planner here at Terra-Arcanum?

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/arcanum/ol ... B_ACP.html

You have to use Internet Explorer for it to work properly, but I find it is a big help as you can plot ahead of time how you'll spend each CP.

You need 18 Perception to max firearms, by the way.

4. Lycia

Lycia New Member

That would explain why it wasn't working for me (firefox).

Thank you both for your replies, but if I may impose just one more question on the board.

When you master a spell collage, does it also reduce the fatigue of sustaining spells? If so, it might be worth learning summon familiar and putting the three extra points in willpower just for the ability to keep two demons around for the price of one, but if not, those extra four character points would come in handy. I've also crunched the numbers and it does look like Only Child is the way to go, so I might also go with being a Half-Orc since my CHA is going to be shot to Hell anyways.

Thank you again!

5. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

yes it does @ fatigue cost

The Half-Orc is indeed the logical choice, though in this case you might also consider Troll Offspring (starts your female HO at a whopping 12 CN = 2 Orcs w/o fatigue loss) or Raised by Orcs, in case you want to make use of those free points in melee and dodge your HO gets.

Crap, now I have to make a new character too :(

Our Host!