Petty exploits that I've found

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Deman, Nov 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Thor Kaufman

Thor Kaufman New Member

Of course. The maximum has been permanently lowered that's why they can't raise it above the threshold. That makes those things relatively useless it seems, at least for the intended purpose.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

2. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

Re:

I don't see how your example makes Brain Builder and Muscle Maker different from other stat bonuses/penalties. Seems like they're just added/subtracted to the total like all the others received from gender, background, equipment, potions, spells, blessings and such. The game allows an effective minimum of 1 and an effective maximum of 20, or racial maximum if that is higher. With 20 always being attainable with enough bonuses, the only bonuses that act differently would thus be racial bonuses (not penalties), as they are the only ones that affect the hard limits on attributes.

There are two things that are unusual about Brain Builder and Muscle Maker: Their durations are indefinite, and their effects stack with themselves, which is unusual for therapeutics and other potions. Yes, these two qualities can easily have effects on the maximum attributes that a character can attain at a given moment, but that doesn't mean that the effects are considered differently by the game once they've been applied. It's just a matter of making up for the lack of positive bonuses: More drugs! :drunk:

3. Deman

Deman Member

Heh it's more likely because I'm having a hard time to express myself...I blame ze nation.

Just try to stick to the following bullet points;

• Add the items that you want copied in your inventory. If you want multiple Vivifiers then you'll need the Elixir of Physical Prowess and the Unknown Chemical Compound. Both can be found within the Vendigroth ruins

• Now fill your hotkey slots with consumables; items that will vanish after being used, like Fatigue Restorers or Healing Salves

• Enter Shrouded Hills' Panarii Temple and save there. After having saved, load that particular savegame

• Select one of the hotkey items by either pressing its specific number on your keyboard or by left-clicking it. You should notice that your pointer changes its graphic

• Lift up the hotkey item by right-clicking. Don't release your right mouse button so that the item will fall back on its slot. Also make sure that your pointer hasn't switched back to its "usual" form (the yellowish pointer)

• Now left-click on someone, e.g. Virgil. Your consumable should be used, while it also returns to its hotkey slot. Futhermore, will it end up "corrupted" as you (yet) can't place it anywhere else. Doing so will crash your game.

• Leave and re-enter the temple. Back inside, you should be able to place the hotkey item into your inventory. Doing so should transform it and any of the other hotkey items that you've prepared, into another item (or even a critter or a scenery object). Place the item that you've placed in your inventory back on its hotkey slot.

• If you're lucky then your hotkey items might already have turned into the Vivifier's components. If not then leave the temple again and re-enter. Transform your hotkey items again, by placing one of them into inventory. Repeat until they've turned into the Vivifier's components.

• When you finally have gotten a copy the Elixir of Physical Prowess and the Unknown Chemical Compound, place the real the Vivifier components onto your hotkey slots but not on the slots which are occupied by the copied Vivifier components. Afterward place the copied components into your inventory and drop the real components by placing them on your inventory's drop icon (red arrow pointing down beneath the hand icon)

• The game should now have positioned the copied components somewhat weirdly in your inventory. Finally enter the crafting menu and select the schematic of the Vivifier. You should be able to create numerous amounts of Vivifiers as long as you don't exit the crafting menu. Once you're satisfied leave the menu and your inventory and save your game.

Hopefully this description does differ enough from the former and makes it easier to follow through. Anyway the thought has crossed my mind to show off the procedure for this trick in a video clip that I'll upload on youtube. I just haven't had the time to do so. Nor have I had the time to post any of remaining exploits that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I guess the interest isn't there either. They're way past the game's primetime.

This trick can also be used to max out certain skills. I'm curious if there any wearable items which net extra HPs, boost your alignment positively or grant a bonus to the repair, lockpick, heal, dodge, firearms, disarm traps or bow skill (except for that cursed helmet).

4. Thor Kaufman

Thor Kaufman New Member

Thanks.

I managed to corrupt the items but it seems to be a real crapshot to get the "correct" items. Is it possible to get more than one corrupt item (like five potions=five something else) at once or just one corrupt item at a time?
    Also items seem to reset if you bring new items like the manuals into the scene possibly making the chance of getting both vivifier components almost nil.

5. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

Re:

I just got around to trying this out, and it didn't work as planned. Instead of compensating for the lowered Dexterity, he just seemed to spend two points and get nothing for them. And with increased Strength, the point that was supposed to go to Strength also vanished. For levels 18, 19 and 20 he only got one point, which ended up in Dexterity.

I also have a saved game where the level 22 Dog already has Dexterity 18, but still only 4 ranks in Dodge. He's scheduled to put his final rank into Dodge at level 23, but if I give him a bottle of wine before he levels up, that point just vanishes. No Dodge, nothing else, apart from the usual 2 HP and 2 FT for levelling up.

Maybe it's the wine, or maybe it's Dog. I'll have to see how a regular NPC follower handles wine while levelling up.

6. Thor Kaufman

Thor Kaufman New Member

I noticed the same.
    It works for other followers, though, from tech characters like Vollinger to the pure melee-dodge chars so they will get DX20. Iirc it's best done about level 25 for the pure melee-dodge followers when they already have around 17dx otherwise it seems to interfere with their leveling scheme or not work at all.

Also works nicely for chars who invest into IN so you can get the IN20 bonus. I think you have to use wine before they invest into all schematics, though. Also, on some levelups they will still invest into other points. Vollinger is a bit annoying since wine lowers PE he will put counterpoints in that. You might want to also give him +2PE goggles to counteract this a bit, PE20 is overkill on NPCs.

7. Deman

Deman Member

I've uploaded an explanation on how to do the trick on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ycaMCbx18I&feature=youtu.be

Notice that's just the exploit itself, with no further text messages to help you out. The video demonstration should be enough to give you an idea on how it's executed. The audio didn't keep up with the video's pace and there are some annoyances going on that weren't supposed to be in there either. It shouldn't hinder you from grasping the concept.

8. Thor Kaufman

Thor Kaufman New Member

9. Deman

Deman Member

I've uploaded another "how to do" video clip for this trick, this time showing how to use it for boosting some of your skills. Like in the text description, I use the Ring of Influence as an example. I picked up the dead orc in Tarant. Remember you'll have to switch "loot objects" each time as you attempt this trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_y4_s01TFs

Our Host!