People believe anything...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvara, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

It's fine, man. I'm not setting out to make enemies on this forum, but I see that I may have due to my acid wit and combativeness. Okay, so if you really don't care if people think you can't write coherently, then fine. And I can see by looking at your location that you don't. Oh, and just so you know, you don't have to quote the entire post, it wastes space.

2. Silvara

Silvara New Member

A note on proper writing - while everyone makes spelling and grammar mistakes, and suppressing them isn't top priority here, writing decently isn't so hard. It shows mastery of written language, respect for other people who don't know what you're thinking and therefore cannot understand your ideas if you don't express them properly and, lastly, sometimes the mistakes make it difficult to understand the post and there are people (like me) who have enough troubles deciphering common English to have to deal with your personal interpretation of it. :)

3. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Stop it! As I stated earlier, we need a good angered debate. None of this polite "It might be nice if you wrote more eloquently"
    Well, we need to put an end to this kind of decency around here.

Anyone who has ever mispeled a word should die!
    This misspelling crap has got to stop.
    Everyone needs to have perfect grammer.
    and no-one... should ever mess up cApitalisation or misuse punctuation;

So you all suck.

Note - spelling misspelled mispeled was intentional, s was grammer. Several other blatantly obvious mistakes were intentional as well including the poorly placed ellipses. Now post your angered response so I can crticise it.

4. Silvara

Silvara New Member

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

You evil, ignorant moron.
    I obviously have nothing against politeness, you useless twit.
    It merely gets in the way of an angered debate thread.
    Anywhere else on the HoL, I think politeness is a terrific thing, however, this is not a thread with a "topic" or "purpose" so it should be an angered debate.
    A civil debate is far too serious.
    So stop posting this polite garbage in here.

6. Silvara

Silvara New Member

So you think lack of purpose equals lack of politeness?

7. Icairus

Icairus New Member

You are slower than I thought. No, I don't think that. I think that this was an angered debate thread and then a bunch of stupid pansy polite people shut that down, and it became a whiny bitch thread instead.

8. Silvara

Silvara New Member

But why are angered threads (debate or otherwise) good??
    P.S. Are you trying to insult me again?

9. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Why are angered threads bad?
    Can you write a post that contains sentences ending in periods?
    Have you developed the mental capacity to handle more than 2 lines in a post that isn't just a garble of meaningless politeness?

Angered threads show emotion and are, in many respects, more interesting to read than simple docile posts.

In this particular thread, I am tossing innumerable insults your way, many of which may be too subtle to be handled by your minute intellect. Others may simply have too many syllables and confuse you.

10. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

My gosh, I just realized my horrible spelling mistake in my last angry post. I know how to spell deficiences and sentences...I was just screwing up the e's and a's that day. So now I understand what you were saying, Blinky.
    Man, this humble pie tastes good. You want some?[/i]

11. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

no need to avoid the anger in a debate, but avoiding to fall into that trap yourself is nice - and of course burn the others.

anyway on the subject of belief and religion I thought nietzsche wrote a lil' thing pretty well (about christianity)

"From the start, the Christian faith is a sacrifice: a sacrifice of all freedom, all pride, all self-confidence of the spirit; at the same time, enslavement and self-mockery, self-mutilation. There is cruelty and religious Phoeniciansim in this faith wich is espected of an over-ripe, multiple, and much-spoiled conscience: it presupposes that the subjection of the spirit hurts indescribably; that the whole past and the habits of such a spirit reists the absurdissimum wich "faith" represents to it."
    beyond good and evil F.N. translated by Walter Kaufman.

oh and I don't have a problem with religion and belief, i believe myself (just not in metaphysical solutions) - if X wants to chackle his mind he is free to, damn stopping him would be throwing chains and locks around thy self.

alas the religion issue is a clear / / grenade warning / / and that is of course natural with causa sui issues that people are clinging to for their limbs and matter. -

12. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Franky, I am an Atheist out of spite. It's funny how some people think they'll never believe or will believe for ever and ever. Are they exempt from change? Like Ortega y Gasset (Spanish philosopher) said: "None of what the Man has come to be, was not, is not and will not remain that way forever and ever but one day he came to be and another day he will cease to be." (excuse my shitty grammar in that quote. Translating Spanish into English is a fucking bitch when it comes complex sentences). The only thing I have learned in my two decades of life is that truth is in the eye of the beholder.

13. Canis

Canis New Member

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but truth exists on its own whether you want to believe it or not. Faeries aren't going to suddenly build a magickal kingdom at the bottom of your garden just because you believe it to be true.

Heraclitus said it best, and maybe first: "All is flux, nothing stays still; Nothing endures but change." Everyone and their mother insist on rephrasing it in their own words, putting on airs of profundity.

14. Wolf

Wolf New Member

faeries dont exist? ive wasted my life. heck, why am i on this board now? i should be living! lving!! living!!! LIVING!!!

15. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Hey, Canis, not to throw mud at the statement you just made but it seemed like you were slighting one of my signature statements and so I thought it would be prudent to point out that Heraclitus was speaking Latin when he made that statement and it could be argued quite vehemently that ANY translation from one language to another is a "rephrasing". I do SO dislike displays of hypocrisy and people are usually blind to the fact that they may be perpetrating them.

16. Canis

Canis New Member

Given that Heraclitus was a Greek philosopher ages before the expansion of the Roman Empire.... :roll:

I've half a mind to explain the difference between translating something and rephrasing it and claiming it as your own, but with you it seems everything is in one ear and out the other. I really wish you'd take Shady's advice and think about your posts over a Coke before hitting Submit.

17. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Ooh! No she dit'nt! Burn!

18. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Oh, YEAH! Way to take my post, misconstrue it, and then try to save face by making an unqualified statement.

Our Host!