New skills!!

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by ralph, Oct 23, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Dual-wielding should definitely be included. It's more realistic, because you really can fight with two weapons. To help balance it, here are some suggestions:
    Since every weapon has a Strength: 1 hand stat, the weapons you could dual-wield would be limited by your strength. And you should have a strength of two more than the minimum one-hand-wield strength to dual wield. For example, a Katana only requires a strength of six for one hand wielding. So if a character has a strength of eight, he can wield two katanas. But since a broadsword requires a strength of 18 to wield one-handed, only a very high-level character with a strength of 20 would be able to fight with two broadswords, thus making it something you'd be able to use only in the late-game. Imagine a level 25 Half-Ogre with a strength of 22 wielding two barbarian's heavy blades? Madre del Dio! Although that sounds horribly unbalanced, it would basically be a bonus to speed in a cool way. So instead of swing, cock back, swing, it would be swing/cock back, swing/cock back, therefore a higher striking speed. I guess there should be some other penalties as well, like a penalty to critical miss, since it's easier to make mistakes when fighting with two weapons. Okay...that was long and complicated.

PS Oh yeah, and you'd have to earn Melee Expert or even Mastery before you could gain Dual-wield. I guess it would be sort of a feat, or a perk, since Troika has alot of ex-Fallout guys.

2. ralph

ralph New Member

No,no it should be a separate skill for that. so if you was master in dual weild you could hold 2 heavy swords.

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Dual Pistols would definately be something I'd love to see.

Unarmed fighting is DEFINATELY inetersting...but in order for it to be of any use, one would have to make Weapon Dropping happen with slightly greater frequency and have more enemies who can cast DISARM (so as to make unarmed combat worth investing)

Here's are a skill I'd like to see added:

Begging: Similar to Persuasion as a way of convincing people only with more extreme effects. You can use BEG on just about everyone (except animals and monsters) and depending on how many levels (and if you're a App, Exp, or Mas), you can receive gold (in varying amounts) or maybe even an item a character is carrying). Begging however can adversly affect a character's reaction towards you. An NPC might find you pathetic and start to kick your ass (which would not be a good thing, although this would have to be done in such a way as not to provoke actual combat). Your followers mighty not take kindly to this either, seeing you beg lacks dignity and they may leave.

In theory, you could beg for mercy during combat (and depending on your level and mastery, your enemy might cease his attack during most combat situations (expect those where you HAVE to fight) and maybe even send you on a quest of sorts.

4. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

Because of the difficulty of shooting from both hands, I'd propose to allow it only for masters in firearms.
    Would be interesting to have a sword+dagger fighting style.

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I think that with "any" dual weapon wielding, the TH chance should be reduced by about 20% or more as its difficult to aim and fight. I dunno about restricting it to masters.

I don't think dual wielding should be a skill at all for that matter....so long as it carries a decent enough penalty, it should be something the character can simply choose to do.

The penalty would be reduced of course with investments in melee or firearms, as appropriate, along with Apprenticeship, Expertise or Mastery. Perhaps then have NO PENALTY at Mastery level...that might be good.

By having it a skill, then it begs the question, surely someone who can fight with two weapons can fight with one right? And if you go for a pre-requisite mode...like for every level of Dual Wepons you must have the corresponding level in Melee/Firearms, then that player has to spend too many character points....

6. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

Look in modding and scripting its possible to do a limited form of dual weilding , I've played a half orge broadsword and grenade launcher, what would be better is amibedexus play.

7. DEATH AT THE DOOR

That isn't two weapon fighting style: what you said is simply carrying two two-handed weapons.

Someone fighting with a sword and a dagger can not only strike with both hands but also deflect blows using either hand.

8. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

That isn't two weapon fighting style: what you said is simply carrying two two-handed weapons.

No, the mod I used allowed me dice and fry. :D

Someone fighting with a sword and a dagger can not only strike with both hands but also deflect blows using either hand.

This what I'm talking about when I say amibedexus play.

9. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I think that the reasonable compromise when discussing "Two Handed Fighting Style" as the colleagues above suggested, (since there wouldn't be much of an advantage to simply holding tow weapons).

This compromise, IMHO, would have to based on weapon speed/weight and the characters Strength/Dexterity/Skil Level.

Thus:

- heavier weapons mean less attacks per round.

- lighter weapons mean more attacks per round.

- a double strike with a dagger in each hand would be the equivalent of striking with one weapon (with compatrable weight of both daggers).

- As for "blocking"...well then "one" of the wepoans would have to act as a "shield" of sorts.....but the defensive rating would have to be considerably less than a reagular shield.

- Maximum damage dealt would increase with two weapons.

- Dual handed style would almsot certainly have to have some sort of specific animantion/sequence to it...as well as a character sprites, itherwise what's the point...

- Honestly, the only type of weapons where two handed style would really look good would combos like:

= Sword + dagger (ol relaible)
    = Double Axes (like Sleepy Hollow)
    = Double Scimitar/Falchion (Drizzt Anyone???)
    = Double Dagger (slice and ice attacks)

= Double pistols...if one could aim at two separate targets at the same time then that would look real good....appropriate penalty and dependence on Percepction as needed.

Whatever the case may be for "Dual Weapon Style"...there would really have to be "A POINT" to having it in the game...particular advantages/trade-offs, etc...

10. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Why not? It's fantasy anyway so a few 'cool' elements wouldn't hurt much.

Still dual pistols are more related to colonial America than Victorian-age Great Britain. Two targets at the same time? I presume you played Bloodrayne? I am not sure if I'll agree with you about those.

11. Baal

Baal New Member

When dual wielding you would be able to parry (increase AC against melee attacks) and attack at the same time, if you had enough skill with it.

Being able to use two pistols would be cool you could fire 2 times the bullets at about 75% the accuracy and speed of the two guns.

Maybe they could make some kind of artillery that you could place on the ground, like mortars or a small howitzer? That would be a cool technology but would take some time to set up.

Adding something like the “Feats” from NWN would be a nice touch, special spells, Technologies, and some other unique skills too

12. Pik

Pik New Member

Dual wield would be fun, but it's not worth putting an additional skill. Perhaps there should exist non-magical learnable skills with possible fatigue cost? The cost might sometimes be dependent on time like Inferno in Diablo II - berserk needs high level and depletes your fatigue constantly instead protecting you from fatigue damage ('Cause you'd fall unconscious too quickly.) while also sacrificing defense for additional damage.

13. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

EVASION SHOULD BE A SKILL.....it would be like this...in a combat you should try not only to dodge the enemy atack but also to find a way to move around him and give him a fatal blow or some sort...this could be valuable

14. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

i think gamble should be implemented inluck Is basicly the same think ...and u should be able to do a fatal blow ( like a backstab) with a mace sword or hammer...or even a spear...or have a marskmanship degree and deliver a greater damage with pistols rifles and bow... am i right

15. Clint Lloyd

Clint Lloyd New Member

cant use guns though

Our Host!