My name on this forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Stop calling me a filthy copper, thank you so very much!

Jajamänsan fattas bara!

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

She cut down the book size from, "no less than 25 pages," to, "no more than 18 pages," when she suddenly realized, two fucking days before the due date, that she didn't want to read 25 pages from all 27 students.
    So I, with my 28 pages, get points taken away (I'm not re-writing the story and cutting everything out twice).
    It's a children's book...how much reading has to be done?

3. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

As long as it contains nice pictures, it can't fail.

Heh, in my school, our PE theacher had corrected around 100 texts, every text around 10 pages. Then he somehow where able to "forget where he put the grades". So everyone got the highest score.

4. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

PE? Phys.Ed. ? You write texts in gym class?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, nowadays they basically have this idea that PE should educate you on health, which is why we got in homework to write some sort of paper on what we could do to improve our fitness etc etc yadda yadda.

Of course, our PE teacher naturally couldn't be bothered reading all that shit, so everyone got their paper back with the next highest score on it (VG) and no comments whatsoever. :)

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

They have a great system here, you do health in PE and then you do it again in Science.

So you get to do the same subject twice a year for the first 4 years of high school.

7. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

And that's the only subject you read for those 4 years? Damn! No wonder Your Majesty looks so fit...

8. Vorak

We do defensive mine laying and booby traps as well, but thats pretty universal around the world.

9. Grossenschwamm

Not in the US. We have intramural events for that sort of thing. We do, however, have a healthy amount of fencing in gym class.

10. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Any classes in axe wielding available? Freaking big beard (or "Danish") axes are so much cooler than these little bendy wire swords.

11. Grossenschwamm

No, since it's nigh impossible to make an axe (even while dull) less fatal.
    Also, I don't think I remember seeing axe fights as a part of the olympic events roster. But, I suppose if curling is a sport...

12. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I'd take fencing any day over volleyball and standing on your hands. Stupid PE.

13. Grossenschwamm

Weight training was fun for me...but we only did it during the same time as track and field training. Well, it technically wasn't track and field...we didn't have diskus or shot-put practice. Or hurdles. Or pole vaulting...yeah we just ran in a circle until we had gone four miles.

14. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

We trained dancing the last month of gym class in "high school" (is that an acceptable equivalent?), not just because I was in a class where the ladies outnumbered the gentlemen by 5-6 to one.

15. Vorak

We did javelin until we started throwing them at this one guy we all hated.

16. Grossenschwamm

That depends...I'm not sure how your grade progression goes.
    In the US, we have 12 pre-determined grades, and being in your fourth year of high school (more often than not...unless you're stupid) means you're a senior in 12th grade. I was lucky enough to graduate school as a junior (11th grade).
    But, dancing? Sure, it's great exercise...but couldn't they find a less demeaning activity for the male students to do?
    I know in Germany they have 13 grades...the 13th is for students who show they're really smart. If you're not that great a student over there, you only get to grade 10 or 11, and you're done with primary school.
    That's how we got out of archery practice.

17. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

In Norway we have:
    Primary school - 7 years
    Secondary school - 3 years
    High school* - 2-4 years
    College/University - depending on what you want to study, I believe the shortest programs are 2 years, and the longest (medicine) is 6 years.

Primary and Secondary school are both compulsory, if you don't attend them, you break the law.

High school is 4 years if you take Technical and General subjects, which will lead to you getting papers stating that you know some kind of craft, and the papers required in order to go to college or university.

It's 3 years if you take General Subjects (I'm taking that), which leads to you getting the papers needed for college/university.

It's 2 years of you take vocational subjects.

*Or some equivalent..

18. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

In Hungary the most common is:

Elementary school: 8 years
    High school: 4 years
    College/University Bachelor: 3 years
    College/University Master: 2 years
    College/University PhD: 2 years (if I remember correctly)

(Bachelor/Master is since 2005; there was a single 4-year thingy instead of bachelor+master before)

19. Grossenschwamm

The school system in the US is flawed, then. Elementary to middle school is grades 1 to 8, and high school is grades 9 to 12. This is all considered primary school.
    Secondary school is going to college, where the degrees you can earn have about the same grade progression.
    Associate- 2 years
    Bachelor- 3 to 4 years
    Master- 5 to 6 years
    Doctorate- 7 to 8 years.

The way the degrees work is a yearly cumulative process. You study a subject for two years and excell, you are an Associate of that subject. Three or four, you are a Bachelor of whatever.
    You actually gain the degrees as you pass them, but must people will only display their final result.
    We have vocational studies over here as well...but most of the kids who do that aren't good enough for college.

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The Glorious (... not) Educational System of Svitjod!

Compulsory Schooling: 9 Years
    Upper Secondary: 3 Years
    University: Depends on what you want to do there.

Our Host!