Most fun character

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Twizman, Dec 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Twizman

Twizman New Member

What do you think is the most fun character class to play as?

:)

2. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Stupid characters are very entertaining.

3. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Magicians. Solo magicians, who burn the world to ashes with Real Ultimate Power.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You get to discover more of Arcanum if you go tech rather than magic. There's so much more to do for scientists.

5. Roke

Roke New Member

Agreed. I think the game is definitely biased towards technological characters, especially given the story. I mean, the whole setting of Arcanum is a previously-magic-dependent world struggling with the emergence of technology. You get enlisted by people like Stennar, Bates, and Loghaire and the ultimate "bad-guy" plan hinges on technology as a driving force.

Even looking at the tech disciplines versus the magickal colleges, it just feels like more effort went into the tech-side of things. The painstaking detail involved in the schematics, the items scattered across the world, the fact that a lot of spell colleges seem useless and inefficient...I just get the impressions the developers much preferred the tech route.

Plus, there's something about having that obsessive need to collect everything in RPGs validated that makes me feel better playing as a techy.

6. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Yeah, but I'm not a compulsive packrat.

7. Wolfsbane

Too bad for you, then!

8. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

There are a lot of highly nifty toys for tech, but if you're not a packrat type, the inventory management becomes a whole other burden. Playing with tech gets you a bigger bag of tricks, but that's also a heavier bag, and on top of that you have to chase down scarce resources to cobble them together. Mages have a more limited set of abilities, but they're always available so you always know what you can rely on.

So far I've only played through two builds, one lone gunslinger and now a puppetmaster type. They're both fun in their own ways, I wouldn't say I have a favorite.

9. Wolfsbane

It's the very idea of chasing after rare ingredients that makes technology so entertaining. You have to, more or less, really earn that valuable piece of machinery. The game becomes too easy when you're a mage.

My most interesting build this far, though, is the magical gunslinger. Learn Temporal magic as well as the stun spell, and take gunslinging to the next level.

10. Twizman

Twizman New Member

What race and background makes for the best pure techie or mage build?

What schematics or spells are most fun?

11. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Well, for mages, if you don't want to persuade or have companions, I find that half-orc only children are made of teh win. For more persuasive sorts, probably...a gnome.

Now, for techies...hm. Depends what you mean by techie.

12. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Dominate Will and Create Undead make a fun combination; you're never outnumbered when you have those. The character I'm running now doesn't use any direct damage at all, he just gets the enemy to destroy each other.

13. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Entangle, used on M'in Gorad. Because she gets so hot when you do that to her.

14. Wolfsbane

I like going lore-wise in character-creation, so human or half-orc techies and elven/half-elven (or possibly even human) mages.

Go for most schematics, I'd say. The more technology you know, the more inventions you can create. They cross-breed many of the technological disciplines, so a vast knowledge opens for tons of fun.

On the magic side, for a beginning, do the same. Create an all-out mage who knows more spells than he/she needs to. Then try to find situations where you use those seemingly unnecessary spells. That would be quite an adventure.

Or, you could combine the two, like I have, and create yourself a magic technologist. It's a unique experience.

15. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

I'd get more enthusiastic about the tech if the components were a lot more versatile, but every bit of clutter does one thing and one thing only. At least if they had multiple applications you'd have options contingent on what you may run across, instead of having to chase enough crumbs to make a damn meal. I hate most when I come across a schematic I could make use of, with a hard to find ingredient that I've already found and sold.

Make that two things: all components weight you down.

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I have to try on a mechromancer one day.

17. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

18. Reekbarrel

Reekbarrel New Member

The character I'm playing now is a human technoexpert with the Escaped Lunatic background. I'm mainly using melee with him to go with the lunatic-scheme, also using traps and grenades and I've found this playstyle extremely fun.

Lay traps, chuck a molotov and bash them up if they manage to survive. I'm also pretty evil with the character, as a lunatic should be. Dynamite is my friend.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

DokEnkephalin: No such luck.

Reekbarrel: Welcome to the forum!

20. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I suggest you try the Timed Bomb. They won't know what hit them!

Our Host!