Modern RPG definition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by symban, Jun 13, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Re: Re:

I forgot to mention "class-based" as a qualifier for traditional RPGs. Going classless is probably my favorite way of giving control of the character's development over to the player. Fallout was the first game that I experienced that did us all a favor by taking the class out of RPGs.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I agree, only noting that the genre I have in mind here is jRPG as opposed to western RPGs.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

It my disgusting cheater days when I was much younger, and after I had installed Brood Wars, I always used an immortal Dark Archon to take over a Terran SCV and a Zerg Drone - allowing me to play all three races at once. There's nothing quite like demolishing an enemy with the combined force of Dark Templars, Ultralisks and Battlecruisers.

4. Jwrac

Jwrac Member

I agree with Muro. Hard and soft RPG categorisation is the simplest and most effective approach for a brief description.
    I think it's a bit of a slider-bar style ratio between:
    A- "role playing game, with action themed content", and
    B - "action game, with role playing themed content"

That way, you could roughly plot out where a game sits for you on the little scale/bar.
    I think that the middle is sometimes, personally for me, the 'best' style of game.
    Despite loving RP, I do want a nice amount of action to come into the gameplay, otherwise I may as well read a choose your own adventure book.
    But that's just me.

EDIT: (I wouldn't play Arcanum if I didn't get to kill stuff however I wanted, as an example)

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I thought 'Warlords: Battlecry' was an excellent synthesis of rpg and rts elements.

6. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Re:

The Heroes of Might and Magic-series would also fit the definition quite well, especially the later games.

Our Host!