Moderating - Jinxed

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Calis, Dec 8, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Calis

Calis Member

What do you guys think of Jinxed's performance as a mod so far? Personally, I don't regret taking him in one bit, and there isn't much of a chance of me taking away his mod status after the "trial period". He's been doing a fair bit of cleaning-up and it definitely seems to be for the better of the forum. I appreciate that, and I'm getting the impression most of you do, too.
    The main reason I'm posting this, however, is to get some input on how "strict" it all should be. Personally, I would've let Chryssalis get away with the multiple-minigun thing, but then again, maybe that's the reason this forum was a bit of a mess before. So what do you guys think? Where should "The Line" be?

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I think Jinxed has been great, and am frankly surprised at how much benefit his tidying up and stuff has had. I didn't expect to notice as much of a difference.

I'd have let Chryssalis go too, but as it turns out, I'd have been wrong. Chrys took Jinxed's comments on board, and now my risk of seizure from too many gunners is back within saftey limits.

About "The Line" - I am in two minds whether to mention this or not, because I don't want to inflame any hotheads, but taking a leaf from Jarinor, I'm gonna stand up for what I believe: I'd rather not have to see any revelling in the death of real people, such as FLR posted earlier today.

Without going too far into the politics of it all, I have no object to elected government representatives of countries such as the USA and UK reluctantly going to war over acts of attrocity/terrorism, but it upsets me to see the kind of hate-mongering FLR displayed.

That's my tuppence.

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I will give you an example Sheriff, I thought about it too, and I wanted to take it up with Calis, but I've been away for ther most of today. go here and see how they take care of things like that at the vault. They just ban and that's the end. But FLR did not do it as "graphically" or "colorfully" as that guy. So that is why I wanted to discuss about it.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Yep, that guy's a dick, and I don't wanna get too down on FLR. Maybe just scrubbing the post with a warning the first few times would be enough.

Also, banning users on a board where there is no verification during the registration is pretty pointless. If they real pricks (the sort you really wanna get rid of) they just re-register.

My own feeling is that, since most of these people are attention-seekers, the most effective detterent is to deal with them quietly. Scrub their offensive post with a curt warning, and just plain ignore the shit that doesn't warrant scrubbing. After wasting a few posts with no real reaction, chances are they'll go look somewhere where people are more apt to start the fire-fights they enjoy so much.

5. Calis

Calis Member

And that, my friend, is where IP banning comes in. Though that's also easy enough to circumvent if you're somewhat net-literate... then again, if it ever becomes a problem I can always hack in a registration verification thingy. I think there's a completely documented hack available for it already. But we'll just cross that bridge if the problem ever comes up.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

you could also ban his/her ips. That's not something you have alot of. But it's a final resort I think. If someone (like me) has a dsl which is a modem, and keep chaning his ip to his leasure, you would have to ban his ips. I think that's how it works.

7. Calis

Calis Member

Jinxed,
    A little lesson on IP's. It might be handy for you to know this stuff.

IP addresses, or "IP's" for short, are unique identifiers for computers connected to the internet. IP's can be static or dynamic. If you have a broadband connection (DSL or cable), they're generally semi-static, meaning that your IP address (almost) never changes. With a dialup connection (modem or ISDN), your IP address usually changes every time you log in. Now, if you want to prevent a user from accessing something (like this forum), you can set the forum to deny access from certain IP addresses or address ranges. Simple enough, huh?

The trouble is, however, that if you ban an address range (for example, when you're trying to ban a dialup user), you don't just ban the offender, you risk banning everyone who uses the same internet provider as he does. Another downside to IP banning is that someone who knows his way around the net can easily find a way around the ban, by using proxies (effectively going through another computer, with another IP, to access the board). That's why using valid, non-hotmail or yahoo or other free crap, e-mail addresses with registration is the only real solution to effectively ban a user who is determined to make a mess. However, this forum currently doesn't have that feature. It's something Saint Proverbius asked me to implement ages ago, but I never really saw the necessity... and so far, it hasn't really been needed. I will put it in if we ever get a lot of trolls making trouble on this board, but frankly, I just hope it won't be needed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-12-08 12:01 ]</font>

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Thanks Calis but I already knew that :smile:
    DSL here is alsways dynamic. I change my ip once a day, because if I leave it idle for some time it doesn't work anymore. ISP is short for Internet service provider. So you ban the whole sevice along with anyone else in that neighborhood who could log to TA.
    Anyway, about the "line" I was a normal poster here myself. So I know what line I like. There are alot of topics in General Discussion, to me that's not spam, ok. But if someone post a question like: How do I get better ranks and then the next 10 posts are how stupid that is blahblah that is spam. Also Loo type behaviour is unacceptable
    Other than that, mostly everythings warrants a warning first. I don't like to "jump the gun" like they do at the vaults.
    edit: Damn I have to work on my typing skills though, how's that typing program comming up Milo? Maevis? Beavis?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2001-12-08 12:43 ]</font>

9. Milo

Milo New Member

Jinxed gets a...

9.9(US) 9.8(CAN) 9.9(FIN) 8.5(RUS) 9.8(FRA) 10(JAP) 9.9(AUS)

*applause*

I give him... two thumbs up. Good job, Jinxed.

10. Calis

Calis Member

Well don't I feel stupid. :smile:

11. Milo

Milo New Member

It's "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing". I think it's good. I'm not sure what version is the latest, but I used... version 5, I think. It worked for me. I went from having to stare at the keys and typing with two fingers to touch-typing about 85 wpm with good accuracy. Even faster if I don't have to use alot of numbers or weird punctuation.

You can probably find the program for cheap by now. I think the version I had was from the discount bin and that was a couple of years ago.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'll throw in what I know. Jinxed has been doing a good job.

13. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

He came down hard on me, man! WAY HARD!! I don't appreciate that shi...Oh, wait. That was someone else. Uh, yeah, he's doing fine. :smile:

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The Power may be slowly corrupting him though...we must keep an eye on him. For if the Power rises up unabated, he must be struck down!

15. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I got a hammer. All you can do is heal him.
    Unless he changes all that...

Our Host!