Mistakes they knew they were making...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by floyd, Apr 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Bunny

Bunny New Member

That is true, and that coincides with the period of the most blatant corruption in America, which can be roughly traced to the end of the Civil War. I'm not saying they were saints before that, I'm just stating that corruption became so evident that people didn't even take it seriously. Just like what has been happening down here for some years. So yes, corruption is not exclusively American.

:???: You are going to teach me something? To what do I owe the honour?

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Those weren't industrial innovations though, they were scientific. They regarded finer knowledge. Arcanum deals with he more structural technology, steam and steel, trains and iron. Not the aerodynamic maximization of low speed fighter planes.

3. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

So it does, I based my opinions mainly on the weapon technology(explosives, gunsmithy, etc). Though thinking of it now, Mustard Gas was World War I not II.

Hop away Bunny, that is the best advice I can give you. Hop like you have never hopped before.

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I'll hold him back if you want. By hold him back, there may be some biting. And gnashing. And possibly chewing.

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Thanks, guys! *hugs Mag and kisses Blinky's nose* :bunny:

Eh, Gabriel! Canis is hotter! *hops away*

6. Mag the Bloody-handed

~*Sprays her arm with disinfectant as she hops away, you never know what Gab may have.*~

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

8. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Re: ....

Are you insinuating Gabriel is contagious?

9. Mag the Bloody-handed

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

It's like chicken pox, better to tax and feather the diseased whelp before having rabid weasels chase him out of town while you take pot shots with a deer rifle, than risk infection.

11. Mag the Bloody-handed

" Oh it's just the flu. "

- In other news today an entire town was found dead, experts believe the culprit was a deadly virus. Precautions have been taken to quarantine the area, studies of the cause are ongoing.

12. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Meh, they always blame it on the poor Virus. They don't know what it is and it's a Virus. Your computer reboots alone and it's a Virus.

13. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Back on topic, If they knew they were making a mistake, how could it then be a mistake?

14. Grinning Goblin

Grinning Goblin New Member

Continuity and plot holes from the game into the end screens. They are really minor when you sit back and think about it. In some ways, I always hated the idea of having the end screen explaining what actually happened to something. I would much rather leave that up to speculation, with only a subtle(Or obvious) in-game hint as to what would happen in that situation, so what happens is left up to the player's mind. Like, for example, in Shrouded Hills, if you let Sarah take over the mine, kill the bank robbers and bandits, then the Constable and the doc thank youand say something about life being easier. So, you can just leave it at that. So, you can say that if they made a sequel and you go back to Shrouded Hills after a questionaire asking you how the first Arcanum was played, you found out that by releasing Toone's ghost, that the mine collapsed killing many workers, that the bank robber scene only inspired better bank robbers to try, but to kill Doc Roberts before their attempt, and then the Thieves Guild corrupted the Constable forcing Shrouded Hills to become nearly unliveable.

I don't know though...I seem to have derailed from the original idea...

15. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

A questionaire? Honestly...

Anway, the end game slides are quite vague. And just because a town prospers doesn't mean it's perfect, there are still many things that can happen to Shrouded Hills.

Thread derailment is a common and fairly accepted by-product of all of us being insane.

16. Grinning Goblin

Grinning Goblin New Member

Well, not a literal questionaire. Maybe something similar to KotOR 2, where some people ask you about certain things. Like you stumble upon a hermit as your first NPC encounter and you tell him what has happened or something.

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

But even still, the end game slides are by no means a be all and end all. If they were then there wouldn't be a sequel since everything would have ended up lovely.

18. Mag the Bloody-handed

The slideshow/end story feature in Hordes of the Underdark was well done in my opinion, afterall it said my character went on to rule the world.

So that means somewhere in there I kicked Elminster's ass.

Our Host!